Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    This year marks the twenty fifth anniversary of the Metroid series
    I genuinely feel like you've done this specifically to take the p1ss out of me.

Comment

...that aside, I'm pretty much 2D Metroid > Metroid Prime as that's obviously what I've grown up with (as many other obviously have). The Prime trilogy is technically excellent but I always feel like the concept of Prime in general lost something in the transition to 3D that for me leaves all three games feeling a little bit soulless.

My favourite in the franchise is Fusion, arguably the most linear experience in the entire series but brilliantly executed from start to end with brilliant art direction to accompany it - art direction that would be used in Zero Mission, arguably P4P the best remake Nintendo have ever done IMO.

Funnily enough, I've only ever played the much-lauded Super Metroid once decades ago, and I never played the GB OG Return of Samus. I have access to them nowadays (thanks to the Switch Online SNES service and 3DS Virtual Console respectively) so I should really look to correct this.

Comment

I've been playing through all the Metroid games this year and the reveal of a new one coming out couldn't have come at a better time. I abandoned the original in favour of Metroid Zero Mission. Found the remake to be much more palatable. Absolutely brilliant game. The fan made remake of Metroid 2 and Super Metroid were both great too. Just Metroid Fusion of the 2d games to play which I'm looking forward to digging into. Hearing great things.

Also played Metroid Prime which was insanely good. Really missed out on this one at the time due to dismissing it entirely in favour of Halo and online shooters.

Comment

[MENTION=9026]jamesy[/MENTION] AM2R is an excellent shout.

A brilliant fanmade remake of Metroid 2 that is still thriving (with community mods and updates and improvements!) long after Nintendo served the creator with a cease & desist. Definitely worth finding and checking out if you didn't get it the first time around.

Zero Mission definitely makes the NES OG thoroughly redundant, which is testament to just how good it is. The same can be said of Samus Returns on 3DS retiring the OG GB Metroid II - MercurySteam obviously did a good enough job with the former for Nintendo to invite them back to develop Dread.

Comment

Have you managed to play both Am2r and the official 3ds game? I’m tempted to play it to see how they compare. Looks similar in style to Dread with the same developer on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              I genuinely feel like you've done this specifically to take the p1ss out of me.

Nah, I genuinely planned to revisit some of these once the 199th thread was out of the gate as I want to ride some time out till the 200th, despite Dread coming out the anniversary was missing me by till you mentioned it in the other thread so this a good one to start with out of the ones I plan on going back to.

With the series I'm one of those who only really showed an interest when Prime came into the frame and Metroid in FPA form for me infinitely > 2D Metroid but it has seen me dip in an out of the 2D entries in subsequent years as a result. With the original and Zero Mission to an extent I never really got very far with them as I find the Metroidvania structure a bit of a slog to begin with but the original game is such an early form it feels like even more of a stretch for myself. Zero Mission very clearly did a great job of modernising it though.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION]

I was referring to your error.

Metroid debuted on the FDS in 1986, not 1996.

Comment

Hot damn, it's 35 years old... what the hell is happening to the years?!

Comment

Game 02 - Metroid II: Return of Samus / Metroid: Samus Returns
                    A direct sequel and yet seeing the series transition to Game Boy, this move meant that the game isn't spoken of in the same way as the two titles released on either side of it and yet it's an impressive recreation of the experience. Despite its more humble form it also introduced several of the series staples such as her Varia Suit, Spider-Ball and more. The game was remade for the 3DS four years ago where players got the chance to properly appreciate the second entry in a more modernised take.

Were you a fan of the second entry and was it a worthwhile follow up or was your first experience the remake?

Comment

I never got on with the GB entry, I only played it back in the day and the experience of trying a Metroid on that tiny dim screen just didn't gel with me. I dabbled lightly with the remake before selling on my 3DS, it's one I'd like to go back to and try properly at some point as it seemed solidly made

Comment

Game 03 - Super Metroid
                        We reach the third game and the first to really capture the adoration of many gamers. The SNES entry would go on to influence a sea of titles, following Samus as she attempts to retrieve a long Metroid stolen by Ridley. The game was praised across the board with its atmosphere and clever design particularly well thought of. Despite this the game didn't achieve the level of success that other Nintendo properties did and so the company spent time dabbling with ideas for the series, leaving it resting for two generations.

Is Super Metroid truly worthy of its reputation?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Is Super Metroid truly worthy of its reputation?
                          Yes, it is.

Comment

Super Metroid is incredible. Simple.

I'm currently deep into Metroid Samus Returns and it's pretty decent but seems to make many of the missteps that Mercury Steam often make. Too many interruptions in the gameplay. Enemies that are frustrating, rather than complimenting the exploration.

It's good though. Worth a look for fans.

Comment

Just finished Super Metroid for the first time around a month ago. Incredible all these years later with little to no nostalgia attached to it. The soundtrack takes it to another level. Considering going back to Samus Returns myself but Fusion takes preference to be up to date to Dread in October.

Comment

I missed the action on this thread so just a very quick roundup. I actually replayed most of the Metroid games quite recently so they are pretty fresh for me.

Metroid - Okay, I have no patience for the original and, without a map and with little by way of graphics to mark locations, I spent this game mostly lost and frustrated so I never got all that far. So instead, years later I played Zero Mission and totally love it. It’s a gorgeous looking game and the more cartoon rendering on the graphics makes it really pop on the GBA. It plays beautifully aside from the stealth part which I found a bit of a chore but, being honest, I find stealth parts a chore in pretty much every game except the PS1 Metal Gear Solid.

Metroid 2 - Like the first, I never finished the original Metroid 2 although I feel I probably got further in it. The lack of a map was once again the killer here and it was made slightly worse due to the big sprites and tiny screen, meaning you couldn’t see all that much around you. So it was the 3DS remake that I completed. Worth noting that the remake is quite different, especially in the gameplay system with the counter system and being able to shoot any direction on the spot drastically altering the feel of the game. The structure of this one is pretty basic but it plays well and looks lovely on the 3DS, if a little samey. I would loved more distinction between areas in the look. A good game but feels different to most classic Metroids due to the changes in control. From the looks of Dread, we can expect it to play like this remake.

Super Metroid - I actually only finished this for the first time relatively recently and it’s fantastic. Super Metroid gets the balance right. It feels good, the control is good, the exploration is constantly rewarded, you don’t get totally lost but it also doesn’t have to hold your hand. The design leads you rather than instructions. It’s a really strong game and holds up perfectly today. As noted above, you can play it now with no nostalgia and it’s just a great game.

Comment

Working...
                                X