new3DS TN vs IPS. Anyone pitch in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new3DS TN vs IPS. Anyone pitch in?

Whats the deal with the difference between these two screens and is it worth paying the premium to get the IPS? Folks online say that the IPS has better colours and a wider viewing range (which is a moot point as you'll only ever be looking at the 3DS head on anyway) whilst others say they crush the blacks and have no detail and some folks in the back were heard yelling that the TN looks all washed out and grey with flat colours and nothing approaching black.

Soooooo, anyone on here own a mythical dual IPS new3DS as they are the rarer/more desirable ones and can pitch in with the real world difference. For those wondering:

Don't pay a premium for the IPS. Screw Nintendo for using whatever the heck supply of displays they got in the New 3DS.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Don't pay a premium for the IPS. Screw Nintendo for using whatever the heck supply of displays they got in the New 3DS.
      Have you seen both in the flesh to compare?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Have you seen both in the flesh to compare?
        I went out of my way to obtain an IPS model. Ended up getting one with an IPS top screen and TN bottom screen, that's how crappy the quality control is. There's not a huge amount in it given that they don't calibrate the panels. Can't believe they have the gall to charge what they do for New 3DS hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          I went out of my way to obtain an IPS model. Ended up getting one with an IPS top screen and TN bottom screen, that's how crappy the quality control is. There's not a huge amount in it given that they don't calibrate the panels. Can't believe they have the gall to charge what they do for New 3DS hardware.
          Ah well, thanks for that. The lack of calibration would probably account for the black crushing effect people have spoken about so it looks like a TN will do the job then. My main concern was that the 3D effect is supposed to be so much better on the IPS panel with the TN suffering from artifacts but with all the hyperbole on the net one is unsure if this is true or not.

Comment

Working...
          X