Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Kung-Fu Master, Vigilante, or Splatterhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just gonna praise QC's epic post a few posts back, it was awesome, ya detail-monger, ya.

I can't quote a thing that fecund as it would elongate the thread considerably. But kudos, kudos old boy.
    Last edited by JazzFunk; 30-01-2018, 02:31.

Comment

Thanks Jazz!

I really like these threads, so I try to bring something of interest to them.

I can imagine those arcade fans who found the unreleased PCB of a game thirty years after the original, were pretty excited.

KFM isn't anything deep, but even now, it can be a thrilling arcade blast.

Comment

Kung Fu Master, C64 version, led to my worst ever Speccy vs C64 playground humiliation ever. When we saw the last boss my 48k mate literally fell off his chair laughing at "Mr. Block". I think they just up-scaled the sprite from the normal grunts. I couldn't deny he was right. Loved the arcade version, though, thought it was magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
          Kung Fu Master, C64 version, led to my worst ever Speccy vs C64 playground humiliation ever. When we saw the last boss my 48k mate literally fell off his chair laughing at "Mr. Block". I think they just up-scaled the sprite from the normal grunts. I couldn't deny he was right. Loved the arcade version, though, thought it was magic.

Comment

^ LOL - yeah that's him!!!

Comment

I remember a cheat in the C-64 version which enabled you to fire a gun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post

That's hilarious.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-02-2018, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                  That's the kind of attention-seeking lie that would be told in the playground like "My uncle went to Japan and he's got me a promo copy of Mario for the Game Gear", but it's true!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    "My uncle went to Japan and he's got me a promo copy of Mario for the Game Gear",
                    I remember kids like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                      Whilst the C64 version could've been better, the speccy version is plain awful. I'll take a chunky boss over painfully slow gameplay and juddering scrolling

I've actually been playing the arcade version of Kung Fu Master quite a bit recently. I've hardly played Splatterhouse, so can't really compare that, but I would chose Kung Fu Master over Vigilante. I feel Kung fu Master does what it does very well and the the extras in Vigilante such as weapons spoiled the gameplay a bit. I also prefer the fantasy setting of Kung Fu Master over the ubiquitous (for the era) men in white vests!

Apparently Hamster have the rights to a number of Irem arcade games. R-Type is on its way to the Switch, and I'm hoping Kung Fu Master follows.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        That's the kind of attention-seeking lie that would be told in the playground like "My uncle went to Japan and he's got me a promo copy of Mario for the Game Gear", but it's true!
                        I knew a guy like this, so when one day he told us about a new console called the Neo Geo, where the games cost £200 each, we naturally assumed he was making it up!
                        Last edited by ZipZap; 05-02-2018, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                          I knew a guy like this, so when one day he told us about a new console called the Neo Geo, where the games cost £200 each, we naturally assumed he was making it up!
                          [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION]'s son nearly got in a fight at school about a year ago because he said he had a console called a Neo Geo, but none of the kids believed him and said he was a liar!

Comment

Working...
                          X