Retro|Spective 023: Virtua Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I had VF2 and 3 but I have to admit to never really liking either of them. They seemed all tappy-tappy and memory-testy when I far preferred the Capcom systems.
    I'm with this man.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Some very surprising responses in this thread; I would've expected VF to be pretty universally loved at a place like this.
      You're about 15 years too late.

Comment

One thing that I remember bugging me back in the day was the discrepancy between the feel on the ground and feel in the air. On the ground, it was quick with short sharp moves. Then you jump and it floats, like you’re rising up with no gravity through an invisible layer of treacle. The two things didn’t match. I just didn’t enjoy it.

But the high res textures on VF2 were certainly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          One thing that I remember bugging me back in the day was the discrepancy between the feel on the ground and feel in the air. On the ground, it was quick with short sharp moves. Then you jump and it floats, like you’re rising up with no gravity through an invisible layer of treacle. The two things didn’t match. I just didn’t enjoy it.
          Yeah; I have often wondered if jumping was an afterthought for VF. The characters jump in a similar manner to 2D fighters, but because it's in 3D, it looks odd. Obviously in VF they have the kind of "hop-jump" too (I think, in VF3 onwards, characters only have this and don't have the high jumps).

Obscure bit of knowledge; if you perform a kickflip on a jumping character in VF1, the damage is immense. Nearly a 100% kill. I think the only more powerful move in the game is Jeffrey's behind-throw, where he performs a backbreaker, which is also almost 100% damage. Though of course, in VF1, you almost never get the opportunity to use it (it's unusual to be behind the opponent in VF1).

Comment

I think one of the issues Virtua Fighter faced as it went on was that its reputation overtook the games themselves. They built up such a reputation of being technical showcases for players with high level skills that it led many players to feel like they might as well take their casual play elsewhere. Coupled with other franchises greater leaning towards flashy visuals, it made VF look very conservative. VF5 really needed to be a very visually bold title with a lot of emphasis on targeting casual audiences, with Sega relying on their knowledge that the core gameplay would still cater to the existing audience. Instead, I remember VF fans anticipating the last game but that anticipation being much muted compared to other franchises despite the success VF4 had been.

Not sure if this is real either but as a curio to add to the thread (it's all CG) here's the supposed trailer for Virtua Fighter 3 on the Saturn. I remember hearing at the time it had aired but I never saw it:

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              Not sure if this is real either but as a curio to add to the thread (it's all CG) here's the supposed trailer for Virtua Fighter 3 on the Saturn. I remember hearing at the time it had aired but I never saw it:
              Not sure that is real; I think it's just the intro sequence that was used in the arcade too. That being said, Sega were at one point working on a Saturn VF3 - though it's uncertain how far they got. Similar for the Saturn Shenmue, though we have some actual footage of that.

Part of that work persisted though; the VF characters have a number of their VF3-specific moves in Fighters Megamix, and the Janet Marshall character (the female character from Virtua Cop 2) uses some of Aoi's moves from VF3.

Comment

I remember picking up the 32X version on launch for an incredible £13, and played it to death. I still consider it to be superior to the Saturn Version that I later picked up. However I picked it up way too late on Saturn as I had already bought VF2, which I was playing more than anything else. I was then disappointed when instead of VF3 the Saturn got Fighters Megamix, until playing it. It remains my favourite fighter on Saturn. But then like has been stated earlier once VF3 came out it was battling Soul Calibur and SC just looked better, so that became my favourite. I never got into VF4, but VF5 remains a firm favourite to play to this day. I do hope Sega do something with the franchise other than licensing out the characters to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
                  I remember picking up the 32X version on launch for an incredible £13, and played it to death. I still consider it to be superior to the Saturn Version that I later picked up.
                  My memory of it is too hazy to weigh in, but I can certainly see how it might've been better than VF1 on Saturn, if Sega had longer to develop it. It's a shame the Saturn didn't just start with Virtua Fighter Remix, because although I prefer the aesthetic of arcade VF1, the Saturn one was visually a bit off, with at-times choppy framerate, and the characters having lower polycounts (e.g. mittens instead of individual fingers).

Nostalgia-wise though, it'll always be Saturn VF1 for me. Objectively it might be inferior but it's such a big part of my childhood.
                  Last edited by Asura; 29-01-2018, 17:07.

Comment

We're approaching 14 years since Virtua Fighter 5 came out.

Comment

WTF! Man can't believe that...

Comment

And Street Fighter 2 will be 30 years old in 2 years.

Comment

Oh wow, that’s scary to think about.
                          I remember the PS3 version bricking dev kits and rushing home to DL the 3 level demo on the 360. I was so hyped to play it after FINALLY getting the series with VF4Evo.

Would love a new edition the series

Comment

Working...
                          X