Thumper (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumper (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch)

Picked this up in the PSN January sale for £6 (I believe the Switch version is on sale now too) and it's nothing like I anticipated. I expected a flowing rhythm game but it's maddening difficulty renders the gameplay to almost completely trial and error. And, despite being pretty good at rhythm based games, I can't really feel the soundtrack's rhythm which only enforces the trial and error. I do like the music though - it's dark and industrial and very atmospheric.

Visually it's fast n trippy and very pretty, 60fps with lots of chrome which creates a dark and sinister vibe. Indeed the visuals remind me of the trippy travelling scenes in the final chapter of Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey for some reason. However because the game is so difficult, you're vision is fully focused on a tiny area of screen to see what's coming next and so you can only appreciate how pretty it is watching somebody else playing.

In terms of gameplay it's incredibly simple. There aren't that many commands, but it's so fast and throws so much at you at you that it's very difficult. If I had to sum it up in one word it would be difficult. You die a lot. I don't think I've played anything that made me feel so tense and twitchy. I've had the game a week and have made it to level 4 (out of 9) and I'm not sure I'll ever see level 5. Yet despite everything (or maybe because of everything?) it's a fantastic game. Very addictive. And very satisfying.
    Last edited by Zen Monkey; 19-01-2018, 15:21.

I bought it and actually got a refund, I thought it was so simplistic that I would expect it on my phone.

Comment

It is simple but the speed necessitates simplicity. Its adds a new mechanic each stage (or has so far) too so probably isn't as basic as you experienced.

Manual: https://thumpergame.com/manual/

Comment

It’s was £17 when I got it, I was expecting something a bit more musical.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          I bought it and actually got a refund, I thought it was so simplistic that I would expect it on my phone.
          How far did you go? I had exactly the same first impressions but graudually the game became more complex and fun to play. Switch version, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            It’s was £17 when I got it, I was expecting something a bit more musical.
            It is peculiarly unmusical for a rhythm game.

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            How far did you go? I had exactly the same first impressions but graudually the game became more complex and fun to play. Switch version, BTW.
            Have you completed it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
              Have you completed it?
              Unfortunately not, mostly because I'm bad at rhythm game and found some of the later stages a bit too demanding for my skills. I know I would have got over them if I persevered, but I started playing something else (what, I don't remember) and let Thumper slide into obscurity.
              I also felt that bosses weren't as fun as normal stages.

Comment

How far did you get?

I agree about the bosses. They're horrible. And too difficult. Usually takes me a good 10-20 loops to beat each stage final boss. And the game gets me so tense and twitchy that, when I eventually nail the combo thus creating a chance to strike the boss by hitting the final glowing thump, I always press too early and have to start the loop over. Happens every time. It's infuriating but also rather brilliant.

Comment

I liked Thumper a lot - played it through on PSVR though, so I could only do one stage a day as more than that was just far too intense.

Rather than a 'music game', I liked their own classification of 'rhythm violence' - feels very fitting. As an aside, Lightning Bolt (of whom one of the creators of this game is half) are excellent too!

How far did you play?

Comment

It's supposedly easier in VR mode (something that's definitely true of Polybius). Have you completed it, fuse?

Comment

Yup! I've not tried it for long outside of VR so can't make direct comparisons, sadly.

Comment

Broken record alert. It is much better in VR too and the complexity really ramps up after stage 4. Stages 1 and 2 should have been combined into 1 and the drop feed of new mechanics should have started earlier.

I still haven't finished it because I get obsessed with going for 100% then frustrated when I can't do it.

Comment

Mobile edition launched today, £4.99 on ios.

Comment

Working...
                          X