The Gaming Inquisitor: Justify Yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gaming Inquisitor: Justify Yourself

Getting to the end of the thread restorations I think...

"You have been found wanting of having held off the immediate purchase of a current generation console. You have been granted the gift of wide gaming selection... why have you yet to embrace the superfluous good fortune of purchasing a Playstation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch? Justify yourself"

Following the repeat admittance of SFJr2 into hospital for her medication observations being at short notice and various other things going on I've just had to take that gaming plunge of selling my consoles meaning that for the time being I'm dependent on the PC. It was, however, done so on the understanding that they would eventually return.

But - To avoid an urgent splurge which would see them return and sit underutilised at times the rule was:

I can only get each machine back when it has 10 games I consider essential to play for that platform. With W10 Store seemingly permanently down for me as well it means all three consoles come in from the same blank slate. Generally, I'm not going to consider games I've already gone through as essential games so as releases come along it's down to new releases to justify a repurchase of the machine.

It's led to an interesting scenario and will be interesting to see which console hits the mark first. Not every game I want would be considered essential and even if a title comes out that would qualify, by the time the list hits 10 that game may have been ported to PC which would take it off the console list again so these have to be genuine system sellers. PS4 is the easiest to stack games up for but none are what I'd consider essential and several will likely make their way to PC. Xbox's future line up is very much a mystery beyond the inevitable Horizon 4 next year whilst similar is true of Switch.

Currently Switch leads with 1 game, a slight cheat as it's Mario Odyssey which I would still put plenty time into if I rebought it. It'll also be interesting to see the full extent of how much a PC can soak up the value of owning a console, I suspect the answer is a lot.

For those who don't own all three, for the platform you don't own what are you waiting for that will justify the purchase for you? And for those who do and didn't jump on at launch, what pushed you over the edge to buy one?

The one machine I don't own is the Xbox. Ill never find 10 exclusives on the platform that I need to play, but I think the X is powerful enough to justify ownership as a machine for multiplats.

What's stopping me is that I don't yet own a 4K TV. I have a 1080p plasma that I like very much. When I eventually make the leap to a 4K OLED, I'd love to buy an X at the same time so I can immediately get the full benefit of 4K HDR. But considering the cost of both items and the fact that I'm well served by my current gear, that may be a ways off yet.

Comment

Since the thread was first posted not much has changed for myself as the release schedules haven't really updated. The only real key change is that this is literally now a two horse race as my PC started to access the Windows Store again meaning that there is no longer any use at all in owning an Xbox anymore which has knocked that console out of the race.

So, as it stands currently:

Nintendo Switch - 1 Essential, 3 Non-Essential
      Playstation 4 - 0 Essential, 8 Non-Essential

PS4 will near certainly win it first given how slack the NS 2018 slate is. I can't imagine key titles I want will hit that until second half this year whereas PS4 is more consistent so it's all down to those PC ports.

Comment

Since this was first posted, I've got a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One Elite!

PS4 Pro was a birthday present and the XBox was £85 off my mate trying to get it out the house.

I could easily survive with just the PS4, tbh, but I do also like the One. They're just so similar!
        I want to play a couple of the exclusives like Cuphead and Crackdown 3.

As for the question "For those who don't own all three, for the platform you don't own what are you waiting for that will justify the purchase for you? And for those who do and didn't jump on at launch, what pushed you over the edge to buy one?", I'd love a Switch because it does a lot of clever things.

However, each time I look at it, I think the games are lacking.
        There aren't enough exclusives to sway me, are rehashes of old ones (Bayonetta, Skyrim, Demons' Souls, Zero Gunner 2) or simply don't interest me. It's still the kids' choice of console (Kirby Star Allies, Pocket Rumble, Battle Chef Brigade, Splasher, The Next Penelope, Ultimate Chicken Horse and so on).

Maybe when I've completed a few more Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy 1, Toy Story 3 and New Super Mario Bros. with my son, I'll have a look.

Maybe I can start prepping him to ask for a Switch next Christmas!

Comment

I'm waiting for a nicer looking revision of the PS4 Pro to transition to the current generation of consoles. I even own some PS4 games already! That's my plan... Unless the enthusiasm surrounding the new EDF overwhelms me.

The Xbox One, both its S and X variants, is an amazing piece of hardware. Sadly, it has precious few exclusives and the ones it has don't appeal to me.

The Switch I'll pick up much, much later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            For those who don't own all three, for the platform you don't own what are you waiting for that will justify the purchase for you?
            PlayStation 4: Ridge Racer 8, Time Crisis, Gradius VI, Metal Gear Rising 2, maybe another Platinum Games exclusive, plus something actually worth playing from Square-Enix that isn't Octopath Traveler that's already heading to the Switch. Coupled with the PSVR offerings I'd finally have more than enough to justify the hardware.

Good luck to them meeting that criteria!

Xbox: Perfect Dark 2. It would have to be the second coming, but if it was I'd grab an X for just that one game. There would also have to be absolutely no way of playing it on a PC, ever, or else there'd be no point buying the console when I could already play it in OrgasmoVision.

Comment

Don't own an Xbox because of Microsoft's infamous DRM and always online policies. The majority of games I play I buy second-hand or borrow from a friend, so that sh*t was a threat to the way I game. I don't want gaming following sports by becoming expensive (remember when you could watch footie and boxing and cricket on TV? Now you gotta pay through the nose. I want no part of it and hate the gentrification of anything). And even though Microsoft have back-peddled on those policies now, few Xbox exclusives interest me. I do like Fable though which is rumoured to be coming.
              Last edited by Zen Monkey; 21-01-2018, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                PlayStation 4: Ridge Racer 8, Time Crisis, Gradius VI, Metal Gear Rising 2, maybe another Platinum Games exclusive, plus something actually worth playing from Square-Enix that isn't Octopath Traveler that's already heading to the Switch. Coupled with the PSVR offerings I'd finally have more than enough to justify the hardware.

Good luck to them meeting that criteria!
                Ooh, some nice hopes there dD, RR8, Time Crisis and a Gradius would be very nice thank you very much.

For me, I got the PS4 for EDF alone, the Xbox doesn't have anything that would interest me currently - though following on from another discussion a 360 would probably be mine in the distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                  Ooh, some nice hopes there dD, RR8, Time Crisis and a Gradius would be very nice thank you very much.

For me, I got the PS4 for EDF alone, the Xbox doesn't have anything that would interest me currently - though following on from another discussion a 360 would probably be mine in the distant future.
                  It's not a PlayStation when there's no Ridge on offer. Even the Vita had that covered.

Comment

I might be next gen tomoz. Mate at work is getting an X and asked me if I wanted to buy his 500gb old skool Xbone for fifty squiddlers, he's a nice guy and he knows I'm skint so I said make it £60, even chucking in Fallout 4, Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider as well!

Ooooh, feeling chuffed, just hope it doesn't fall through, I'm really after playing Doom.

Comment

Not really interested in Xbox. I have a PS4 and PSVR and a Switch.
                      If I did triple-dip it would be the X (unless like JF someone gifted me a bargainous priced Xbox ONE or ONE S).
                      I have too many games, consoles and not enough time and money to chase another platform. There's not much on XB that I see as essential and where I live I can only get 8mb broadband, so 4k assets for the X are a pipe dream.
                      There! Justified and ancient!

Comment

I have a crappy connection too and I'm dreading installing Zombi, which is free on Gold right now and it's a massive file, will take me a full day or two for sure.

Got the Xbone set up, installing Wolfenstein The New Order but god damn 7gb update file, I probably won't be playing it tonight!

But now I am officially 'next gen'. It has only taken me 4+ years. And I can get really stoned and give Cuphead a blast, now. I hope they do it as a Game With Gold...

Comment

The very highest my connection taps out at on Xbox is 10mb which makes always on more of a requirement to keep games updated, I can’t just log in with 50mb BB and download an update on the fly, which would be nice.

The only console I didn’t hop on at launch was PS4 because I was looking forward to infamous and waited for that to be released, was only a few months after launch though. Killzone and Knack didn’t interest me in the slightest.
                          PS4 Pro was a bit different as I had the cash but I dropped my phone, so I used it to buy a phone instead, only hopped on the Pro train at Xmas just past due to some deals and having some cash.

Comment

One month on and not much has changed. I've knocked one essential off the Switch as it really isn't essential being a game I've already done. That being said Shadow added one to the PS4 essentials list and I've worked out how to get one it just means selling stuff on ebay (urgh)

Comment

Currently craving Forza Horizon 3. I want a modern racing game and there's absolutely nothing for me on PS4, it's sad. I'll hold fire for The Crew 2, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X