PS3 Super Slim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Super Slim

Saw a thread about someone wanting a PS3 before we went back in time, and someone recommended the Super Slim. I gave away my phat PS3 to my sister-in-law and GF want something to watch Netflix on and I need something for NieR and Vanquish.

Thoughts?

The build quality on the disc loading mechanism is cheap and plasticky feeling, but it's a pleasingly dinky machine with a nice design. It's also very quiet. Later models have an internal PSU.

If you specifically want a PS3, I would get one of these just for the much smaller size and integrated PSU.

In every other regard, it's the same as every other PS3. Easy to switch out the HDD, works with all the same peripherals. If you want it mostly for Netflix and BD then be sure to pick up the official remote. It's very good and can be had for about a fiver used.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      The build quality on the disc loading mechanism is cheap and plasticky feeling, but it's a pleasingly dinky machine with a nice design. It's also very quiet. Later models have an internal PSU.

If you specifically want a PS3, I would get one of these just for the much smaller size and integrated PSU.

In every other regard, it's the same as every other PS3. Easy to switch out the HDD, works with all the same peripherals. If you want it mostly for Netflix and BD then be sure to pick up the official remote. It's very good and can be had for about a fiver used.
      Thanks! I’m pretty sure all PS3’s have internal PSU’s though? I’ve always used a regular PC power cable for mine!

My other option would be to move the PS4 to the living room and get a PS4 Pro for my «office» but then I’d need a new 4K monitor. Not sure if it’s worth it on a 27 inch anyway though - probably not. Either way that would run me around £1100 while I can get an unboxed PS3 Super Slim in mint condition for £100!
      Last edited by Nico87; 13-01-2018, 12:58.

Comment

Yeah, all PS3 have a built in PSU. I don't think the lid feels especially cheap myself.

PS4 Pro on a PC monitor would be pretty terrible by my estimation.

Comment

That would be me. I recently scooped a super slim up and once I got over the uber cheapness of that sliding door I was really impressed by the machine as it's tiny, next to silent, very energy efficient (which equals less heat which means longer lifespan) and can be snapped up for pennies with next to no use these days.

Wanted another Slim mainly for the cfw exploit angle but every single one I saw had had some proper mileage put on as folks played these long and hard and so I avoided them as reliability is a prime issue. Hopefully the hack will be ported to this at some point and then it will be perfect but as it stands it's great and well worth picking up as there are so many dope exclusives on it.

Comment

Just bought a Slim from CEX today, it's the first time i've owned a PS3.

I got Last of Us, Uncharted, Resistance and Heavenly Sword. Does anyone have any other PS3 exclusive recommendations?
            Last edited by BigDeadFreak; 13-01-2018, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
              Just bought a Slim from CEX today, it's the first time i've owned a PS3.

I got Last of Us, Uncharted, Resistance and Valkyria Chronicles. Does anyone have any other PS3 exclusive recommendations?
              Puppeteer, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, MGS4 and loads of other PSN titles.

Comment

Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at Heavy Rain. Hopefully it's something I can play with my wife (that's if I can tear her away from Cooking Fever!).

I'm not sure about Little Big Planet though, not really my sort of thing from what I've seen. How does Metal Gear Solid 4 compare to 5?

Comment

Mgs4 is like a conventional mgs game but it's awesome.

Folklore, killzone 2 and 3, infamous, demon's souls.

Comment

Definitely buy the official remote if you want to play BDs on the PS3.

It has a number of advantages. The battery life is forever (mine is 3 years+ at this point), and while the PS3 can be controlled by your TV remote with many TVs (via an HDMI feature) for some reason, this commonly doesn't work with Blu-Ray menus, so the PS3 remote helps when this occurs.

However, to address the elephant in the room, the PS3 pads are bad for this purpose, because they can't be placed down on a flat surface in any orientation where tapping them won't press a button.

Comment

Folklore looks interesting, I'll definitely add it to the list. I've never got into Blu-Ray though, so no need for a remote.

I've started playing Uncharted and it's as underwhelming as I always feared. I'm only on chapter 5 but it feels like a crap film with press X to win gameplay and some cover shooting thrown in. It looks nice though.

Comment

Uncharted was the same for me. Couldn't get the hype behind that one as it was just shiny stuff ontop of flimsy gameplay.

Comment

Thankfully The Last of Us exists.

Comment

I get the hype and can see that it's the perfect game for some people but it's just not for me. There's so little gameplay and what there is seems so superficial. Each to their own, I guess.

I'll certainly be playing The Last of Us at some point. Probably in about 25 years though as I've got such a backlog of games and it takes me an age to complete anything.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting one of these, my 6+yr old Slim sounds like a biplane taking off to Japan, I've given it to my mam as a Netflix/YouTube player, she loves it.

A silent PS3 would make me fall in love again, like a curvy bird stopping her diet, I'd really like to play Heavy Rain fo real, I've owned it five years goddammit.

Comment

Working...
                              X