No announcement yet.

Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't mention it in the article, but Crunchyroll is Sony owned. Didn't they recently try to erase a load of other TV content people had purchased?

I think if this affects you, going yarring is morally totally acceptable.

Not sure what any of this has to do with microtransactions tho.
    Last edited by MartyG; 08-02-2024, 21:35.

Comment

Bull**** like this reinforces in me that their is a difference between piracy and emulation.

If people didn’t record old TV shows, didn’t dump Arcade ROM’s or copy CD’s, we would have lost so much.

Comment

The 2025 Audi A3 looks sharper and comes with more tech, but you will have to pay a subscription for some basic in-car features.

MTX's are escaping!

Comment

It didn't work for BWM who dropped their microtransactions. It won't work for Audi either - this would just make me look at other manufacturers that don't do this.
          BMW’s microtransaction experiments have not always been successful.

Comment

Now you'll have to pay an in-car subscription fee for basic features like high-beam assist, dual-zone climate control, adaptive cruise control,
            Jesus

This really feels like a car company execs trying it on and seeing how many gullible idiots will sign up for this stuff just to have a new Audi A3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post

Jesus

This really feels like a car company execs trying it on and seeing how many gullible idiots will sign up for this stuff just to have a new Audi A3.
              The sad thing is, there might just be enough idiots who will pay for features that should be standard.

Comment

This has been going on for decades. In the 90s I worked in cad/cam and the CNC machine tools came with 8 or 16 k of RAM. Thousands of pounds price difference. Except they all came with 16K installed and you could pay 5 grand for someone to come out and flick a switch to double the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  This has been going on for decades. In the 90s I worked in cad/cam and the CNC machine tools came with 8 or 16 k of RAM. Thousands of pounds price difference. Except they all came with 16K installed and you could pay 5 grand for someone to come out and flick a switch to double the ram.
                  Ditto for tons of stuff. My DSLR camera years ago actually had features that were nerfed. You could set some of its settings higher if you installed the firmware for the next camera in the line.

Comment

See also mobile phones, Apple selling a new pro model with a slightly better camera and charging extortionate amounts for it, locking software features behind the more expensive models too. This isn't just limited to phones these days the £100 premium per small bump in storage is a model is bleeding out, VR headsets like the quest and even the steam deck have adopted this model.

Comment

I see people defending the microtransactions For dragons dogma 2 on twitter saying things like....it is what Capcom has always done and that they are not needed it is for impatient people, but then i ask, does it make it right that Capcom has always done this ? and if it is for impatient people then why charge for it in a Singleplayer game ?. The problem i have is less with this game as such but more ....letting companies of the hook means they will test the line more and more and before you know it things are so much worse for everyone

Comment

I feel the fact that Developers call them Micro Transactions is an admission that they’re ashamed of it. If they weren’t, they’ll call them what they are: Paying. Players are paying to win, paying to skip or paying for skins. Much like when Microsoft used the term Microsoft Points.

I really don’t mind paying for new content, like in a racing game where they keep the base game solid but add tracks and cars.

But I would honestly a racing game just remain as a numbered entry, and all new content be saved for a sequel. But even that’s sketchy if they make a yearly update, like EA used to do with FIFA.

Comment

Working...
                        X