[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey

Thought I'd start a new thread, what with the old one being lost in the outage.

Came back to Odyssey this week, after rifling through Sonic Forces. Generally speaking I've loved it so far, thought it was amazing, one of the best titles in the franchise... Until a couple of things surprised me:

Firstly, the "food" world - can't remember the name, but the soup one. Was very surprised by this one, didn't find it particularly fun. There was this weird platforming bit where you had to possess one of the fire enemies, and it was surprisingly awkward.

Then, I did level where you fight the dragon boss... I assume that was meant to be a Dark Souls parody? It felt, visually, very out-of-place, even more than New Donk City.

However, a bigger concern is this - I'm at the "Bowser's Castle" world. Is this really the last world? And I'm not counting some kind of clever backtracking thing "more worlds" either, I mean actual places to go.

Not sure how I feel about that. If that's true, Odyssey has been great but it seems pretty short. I know you could probably spend a while getting all the moons and I intend to get more, but it would mean the game is significantly lighter, content-wise, than 64 or Galaxy - even Mario 3D World. It's weird because I almost don't want to see critical because the game has been fantastic fun; I suppose what I'm saying is that I just hope it isn't going to be over so soon.

There's more to come, but not tremendously substantially more in terms of new areas to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      There's more to come, but not tremendously substantially more in terms of new areas to explore.
      Hmm, that's a shame. Before I saw the last few cutscenes I had pitched this at maybe a third of the way there, judging by some of the other games.

Again, this is no criticism of the content I've already played. It's really wonderful. I just would prefer the game was of a similar length to prior titles.

Comment

Mario Odyssey has more worlds than Mario 64, way, way more stars (or moons in this instance) and a lot more stuff to do and see.

Comment

Yah I don't really feel the game is significantly shorter than previous 3D Marios. There are fewer stages than, say, 3D World, but the levels are far denser.

What you do following the credits will form probably 75% of your total playtime, too.
          Last edited by wakka; 08-01-2018, 13:40.

Comment

About 75% of my playtime has been spent on the last level and I still haven't finished it and it's too hard and I give up. Stupid level. *flips table*

Comment

It is difficult. But Champion's Road (final stage in 3D World) was way tougher.

Comment

I wouldnt say it's really a short game, I'm around 70 hours in according to the counter, I'm up to 800 moons now so still plenty to go, although that last level did account for around 5 of those hours! But it's not that hard once you work out where all the hearts are hidden and it's nowere near as tough as champions road, I still can't beat that one

Comment

How long and difficult the game is really depends on when you consider a game completed. I'm on about 700 moons at the moment, but you can easily finish the story on about 150 moons. Yes, the story per se is very short, but it's never really been Mario games' forte, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewMonkey View Post
                    But it's not that hard once you work out where all the hearts are hidden and it's nowere near as tough as champions road, I still can't beat that one
                    For me, a huge difference is that I drifted away from Mario 3D World before I ever got to that level. Odyssey had me hooked all the way to that last level and I think I'll keep coming back to it now and again to pick up stray moons. I found it very engaging.

Comment

Mario Odyssey... love the game but man, the ending... screw Princess Peach

Comment

Haha! I loved the ending. Peach don't need no man.

Comment

She's led Mario on for over 30 years and he's saved her backside so many times, she's a player and he can go down his own pipe!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            Mario Odyssey... love the game but man, the ending... screw Princess Peach
                            Not that the ending to SMB3 was any better.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Haha! I loved the ending. Peach don't need no man.
                              Yeah, I enjoyed the ending. It made me chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                              X