No announcement yet.

[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I "finished" this today, in that I completed the main story and...

... did the "Peach tour".

Overall, I'm not sure what to think of it. There were parts of it that were marvellous and it's certainly a wonderful game, however I feel it had a few problems.

Firstly I think the base experience was much shorter than Mario64 or the Galaxy series. People here have said it had more content than 3D World but I'm not even sure about that. Still, it was of good length; I don't feel short-changed; just the last hour of the game did little to dissuade me from my above opinions at the start of this thread. Worth bearing in mind I'm not a completist; I have no interest running around to find all the hidden moons once the story is complete. If you factor in the supposed 900 or so moons, then you could probably play it solid for months, but backtracking doesn't really interest me.

There were other things too. For instance, the motion controls are simply a mistake; they shouldn't be in the game. I died a fair few times during the game when I was trying to do something (usually the orbit/spin attack) and failed. This is a problem as I feel good controls really are the foundation of the Mario series, and it's disappointing that these issues existed.

There were also weird difficulty spikes; for instance I found the soup world by far the most challenging bit of the game, though the base game wasn't particularly challenging overall. Also the rabbit boss characters seemed really naff; [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] said they feel like something that used to get confined to the Mario GameBoy games and I think that's a fair observation.

The actual ending was fantastic though, and there are many moments in the game which are just so packed with joy that you'd struggle not to grin like idiot.

If this comes off as me being overly negative, it's not really about that. The game is wonderful. It's just that so much has been said on the topic, that another person singing its praises seems a bit redundant now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      There were also weird difficulty spikes
      Being a die-hard Mario fan I found this also. The experience, while wonderful, seemed somewhat uneven and some boss battles relied on mechanics that seemed more chance than skill - mainly the ones in succession after you finish the main game. Overall I thought it was fantastic, but it's the first time I've got frustrated by a Mario game. I thought certain worlds felt overly empty too; perhaps an issue with Mario's first proper foray into 'Open-World'? I thought the ending was frankly a little disappointing too. I still think Galaxy 1 and 2 just pip this at the post, although this perhaps as more individual moments of sheer genius. I'll still buy and finish the next one though!
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
      X