Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve also been rewatching Marvel films. Watched The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. Hulk has its merits but is underwhelming and descends into what so many Marvel movies descend into - no matter what the plot or build up, it’s just two versions of the same thing beating each other up. Here, it’s two Hulks. The nice thing about Hulk is that they skip the origin and get straight into it.

Iron Man 2 is a messy film with very little to recommend. And yeah, it ends with Iron Man versus another Iron Man again.

Comment

It's that age old Marvel movie issue it seems where they rarely get the villains right. IM3 seems to try and dodge the evil Iron Man issue but still stumbles. I personally hold no issues with the Mandarin twist, I quite like it as I hold no thoughts on the character (plus the later one-shot retroactively fixes the canon issue) but Killigan is such a poor villain for it to fall to afterwards that it robs the back end of the film of impact which is more the shame.

Comment

Yep. The most successful for me was Keaton in Spider-Man. While it still descended into a fight, he carried more weight because he was relateable and the tension in that car scene was superb. Much better than any of the fighty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Yep. The most successful for me was Keaton in Spider-Man. While it still descended into a fight, he carried more weight because he was relateable and the tension in that car scene was superb. Much better than any of the flighty stuff.
          Funny that. Its almost as if good writing and characterisation are equally as important (if not more so) than all-out brawling. The reveal in Captain America: Civil War made the final fight much more personal and understandable. I hope the Russos have the ability to knock it out of the park with Infinity War and make Thanos the most memorable villain yet (if they have Hulk grappling with him and struggling that'll put a massive smile on my face).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            The reveal in Captain America: Civil War made the final fight much more personal and understandable.
            It did but it didn't seem to help that it was held until close to the end. I spent much of that movie not really buying into why they were all punching each other. As the movie itself noted, they were pulling their punches because all the separate reasons for fighting (and there were several reasons too many when one strong one would do) didn't really come together to justify it. Then towards the end we get a reason we can believe but it happens so late in the movie.

Comment

I saw Black Panther yesterday. Pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Possibly the best Marvel film so far IMO. Can't really say much about it without getting into spoiler territory. Certainly more focused on story rather than superpowered peeps hitting each other, not what you would expect from a Marvel film.
              I suppose it had all the right ingredients to be good film. Talented cast, good director / writer,plenty of money and no overbearing studio heads.
              Last edited by CMcK; 14-02-2018, 09:01.

Comment

How to be single. Felt about 40 minutes too long. Based on a book that should have stayed a book as it probably works much better that way, but then how can you cash in on being a best seller if you don't make a movie?

Comment

Thor: The Dark World
                  Watched this second film and it's passable enough but yeah, fairly weak by the MCU standards and a part of that is the aesthetic of the film which should never have been led by a GoT runners approach. It's to Thor what Iron Man 2 is to the original and though they don't get the characterisations right I still prefer them to the character breaking versions in the third film.

Comment

Had a little bit of a movie binge last couple of days.

First up.

Flatliners (remake)
                    Load of old ****. Why do they bother...

Ghost in the Shell (joHanson edition, mmbop)
                    It’s been about a million years since I watched the original Manga, wasn’t a bad film and enjoyed it for what it was. Makes me want to watch the original again. Beat Takeshi still kicks ass.

The Void
                    I actually enjoyed this, glad I sat back and watched it, just old skool horror with people trapped in a building with **** happening and they deal with it, horror FX were very Thing inspired, creepy suited animatronics all tentacles and quite horrible, plot was wafer thin and so much so bad dude near the end even tries to explain it, it was kind like MEH at the ending but I enjoyed the ride. May grab the soundtrack.

It Comes at Night
                    Well, the trailer looked dark, broody and kinda mysterious, I’ll give it a shot.
                    Actual film was none of that. It just kind of passed me by as I watched it, nothing really crazy happend, when the pace picked up a bit after the middle, it was the end! WHAT?!

Comment

I watched them all twice to make myself suffer.
                      Last edited by Family Fry; 16-02-2018, 10:21. Reason: Double post y’all

Comment

Why did you watch them all twice, [MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION]?!

Good mix there.
                        Not bothered about Flatliners remake but the others are interesting.

I like the Ghost in the Shell remake. I think some people genuinely didn't enjoy it, but others had made their mind up they didn't like it before it was out. In the end, it was watchable with some great visuals in places, but suffered from being derivative sci-fi not only from the original but the decades of films the original inspired.

The Void and It Comes At Night are two films I've been meaning to see.
                        Are they on Netflix or Prime?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          The Void and It Comes At Night are two films I've been meaning to see.
                          Are they on Netflix or Prime?
                          What do I look like, Google?

I looked.
                          They're not on Netflix and Amazon are charging.
                          Thing is, even at 99p, I'd probably leave The Void as I've got years of inclusive watching between NF and AP.

Comment

Occasionally, if your on Three mobile the app will give you a free rental on Rakkuken TV that was where I rented Flatliners.
                            It comes at night was an accidental rent when I was messing about, then I had some points which you can use to rent and The Void was £1.99.
                            In short, I haven’t seen them on Netflix or Amazon unfortunately.

Comment

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
                              On this most recent rewatch I enjoyed this quite a lot. It's still a shame the WWII era element was dropped so fast but this remains one of the best entries in the series

Comment

Doctor Strange. A bit crap really.

3 billboards outside Ebbing, missouri. Fabulous.

Comment

Working...
                                X