User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The 'Tales From The Crypt' ref wasn't a negative one ... it was a fun ep

The Story of Maths: The Language of the Universe

Not nearly as boring as it sounds, honest guvnor. Rachel Riley presents it, topless, whilst riding a white stallion through a field of opium poppies.

Okay, not really. It is good though. It's a 2 part show presented by mathematician Marcus du Sautoy who explores the mathematics of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, India, Greece and China. He examines the work of geniuses like Plato, Euclid, Archimedes and Pythagoras, and travels to India to discover how the number zero was invented and how Indian mathematicians created the concepts of infinity and negative numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...f-the-universe

Arrow Season 6
    Still not perfect but broadly an improvement. Still some characters in it that just don't work and need to go though

Supersonic

The story of Oasis in their own words. If you enjoy music documentaries, our kid, then you'll like this one. It's a cracker. Nuff said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...sis-supersonic

http://www.darkhorizons.com/timeless...h-11th-return/

Timeless, the show that dramatically clawed its way back from cancellation last year, returns for its second season on 11 March. The show has proven quite popular for its accuracy in historical details but I enjoyed how it wasn't afraid to abandon timelines by killing historical figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    The Story of Maths: The Language of the Universe

It's a 2 part show presented by mathematician Marcus du Sautoy who explores the mathematics of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, India, Greece and China. He examines the work of geniuses like Plato, Euclid, Archimedes and Pythagoras, and travels to India to discover how the number zero was invented and how Indian mathematicians created the concepts of infinity and negative numbers.
    In contrast to Zen, I watched Wedding Day Winners and it's some of the worst television I've ever witnessed.

It was Saturday night, which is pizza night with our son. The competition on primetime telly was:
    Snooker
    Great Canal journeys
    Take Me out
    Greatest Celebrity Wind-Ups, Ever!

WDW seemed suitable for my son upon flicking over (people trying to dress on a treadmill but falling over, It's A Knockout-style), but it was such a painful watch. I kept looking at my wife to check it was really happening and not just a fever-dream induced by the four cheese pizza.

The first game had friends and families of the two competing puzzles trying to pop the cork on giant champagne bottles. To do this, they had to bounce on their chairs. There were no sensors or monitors, just two minutes of people you don't know bouncing on their bums whilst digital recreations of the bottles showed who was winning.

It then was a parade of alternating silly games and interview sections with the couples and their families talking about how much they love each other.

It finished with the thinner, sportier couple beating the other ones and winning their dream honeymoon and getting married on the show.

I felt like a waiter at a wedding, who is supposed to be excited about the happy couple, but doesn't know them, care that they're getting married and seen dozens of weddings before.

I'm unsure which show is worse: Wedding Day Winners or Len Goodman's Rhyme Crime.

I'm most disappointed that I didn't win a prize for sitting through it. Even just the time back would be great.
    Worst of all, afterwards the 6yo panned it too, so it was a waste of time watching it for him anyway!

The Amazing World of Gumball: Season 3
    Another season down, still highly enjoyable. This season was probably the most consistent but lacked the peak episodes of the previous two.

Tin Star: Season 1
    Still early with it but at the moment there doesn't feel like there's enough of a compelling hook to the story. It's lacking the punch to keep interest for a multi-year story so we'll give it a bit longer but it's shakey so far.

The Orville: Season 1
    Early again with this. I'd read recently that season 2 will scale back the humour which is a fascinating decision as the humour is barely existent as it is in this first run bar a couple of flat gags peppered through the 45m run time. It's a fine line between parody and plagiarism and if the humour attempts dial back any further Paramount should sue. It's Next-Gen and not a very good version of that at that, not helped by McFarlane's insistence on leading himself. A bit longer but this already feels like seasons need to be half the length with episodes similarly half in runtime also.

Guest Stars, that's the impressive thing about Orville. Ep3 had a cameo from Liam Neeson whilst Ep5 has Charlize Theron in it.
    Humour wise... man, this is the absolute worst. Each attempt is like hearing a pin drop so it's very much a Next Gen rip off. Yet, it's oddly compelling like watching a slow motion car crash. It's interesting to read up that the reviews seem to have savaged it yet it's doing well. Given Discovery is on, is old Trek still that appealing or is that the bar for comedy is that low?

I haven't watched any of it but I read (maybe here...?) that they were going to tone down the humour for the next season. Does that mean people are watching it in spite of the humour rather than because of it?