No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is not a very good game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It felt like they were one step ahead of you every time you tried something.
    Stuffing soldiers into lockers, shooting the melons, slipping on bird poo, reading magazine covers, using hand dryers, holding guards at gunpoint, shooting them in the crotch and trying to see if naked Raiden will let go of his junk when he cartwheels.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      It felt like they were one step ahead of you every time you tried something.
      Stuffing soldiers into lockers, shooting the melons, slipping on bird poo, reading magazine covers, using hand dryers, holding guards at gunpoint, shooting them in the crotch and trying to see if naked Raiden will let go of his junk when he cartwheels.
      Shooting a guards walkie talkie while he’s trying to call for back up. Kojima and his teams foresight was just incredible.

Comment

I heart MGS2 - spent many, many hours on the tanker collecting tags. It was well ahead of its time in terms of gameplay (much like MGSV).

Re: query on Splinter Cell ; I will get slammed however I think Conviction and Blacklist are the best SC games. Both extremely underrated.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] - the prescience as displayed in that video is something else, no doubt but as a lot of the rose tinted comments in here illustrate there was much more in the way of innovation vs actual gameplay. Style over substance. Sure it may have been impressive the first time round but for someone playing it properly for the first time now at its core its a pretty crappy game.
          [MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] - I'll order the PS3 HD version and give it a spin. The SC games really took the stealth crown for me way back when as they were so dope and infuriating at the same time.

Comment

We're all going to have different experiences and playing a game with 17 years of gaming evolution after it will always be a factor, but I only played it for the second time ever about a month ago and enjoyed it.

Even little things like the design of the doors looked cool.

Let's see how we get on with MGS3!

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
              Kojima had badly fallen out with his usual English translator between games
              Ah, the MGS2 translator is the woman who Sketcz had all that trouble with making his book!

Comment

While I find the setting of MGS2 very samey and find the setting and story of MGS3 to be much better, I think MGS2 is a much better game. Like, the actual game rather than cut scenes with bits around it. The radar system works, it's clear and, aside from always forgetting how to get back up after hanging off somewhere and falling to my death many times, the game always felt like it was designed for me to be good at it.

Comment

I blame Metal gear Solid on PS2 for the death of the Dreamcast.

I had bought a DC with my own money when it came out in the UK, using a free Action Replay demo on DC-UK magazine to allow me to play import games. It was region free right out the box. Loved it. Tried to recommend friends get one.

All of them, my entire town it seemed, was waiting for the PS2 instead. Why? Not because it could play DVDs, unlike the DC, but because of MGS2.

That article pasted earlier in the thread is spot on. Magazines were selling themselves via the MGS2 hype train. It was insane and out of control and it was billed as the game to sell the PS2 more than any other games.

Ultimately it was a bit ****. And while I love the PS2, I think MGS2 was one of those games which shifted the public on what console to buy.

Comment

I blame the 32X and a rushed $400 Saturn for the death of the Dreamcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Modnar View Post
                      I blame Metal gear Solid on PS2 for the death of the Dreamcast.

I had bought a DC with my own money when it came out in the UK, using a free Action Replay demo on DC-UK magazine to allow me to play import games. It was region free right out the box. Loved it. Tried to recommend friends get one.

All of them, my entire town it seemed, was waiting for the PS2 instead. Why? Not because it could play DVDs, unlike the DC, but because of MGS2.

That article pasted earlier in the thread is spot on. Magazines were selling themselves via the MGS2 hype train. It was insane and out of control and it was billed as the game to sell the PS2 more than any other games.

Ultimately it was a bit ****. And while I love the PS2, I think MGS2 was one of those games which shifted the public on what console to buy.
                      I dunno, GTA3 beat MGS2 by a few months , that was a huge game

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        GTA3 was a slow burn with a lot of its hype and fanboys coming later. MGS2 actually already had the hype and fanboys waiting who would've bought a Laserdisc based console if thats where the game was going to be. Ironic that Kojima kneed them all in the nuts though with his real life trolling.

Comment

GTA3 wasn't big at launch. People forget, it followed GTA2 (not much success) and GTA1 was a very long time before it. It came out with relatively little fanfare and picked up momentum bit-by-bit. By that Christmas it was enormous and defined the PS2 era for many people, but it definitely didn't start out like that.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            GTA3 was a slow burn with a lot of its hype and fanboys coming later. MGS2 actually already had the hype and fanboys waiting who would've bought a Laserdisc based console if thats where the game was going to be. Ironic that Kojima kneed them all in the nuts though with his real life trolling.
                            I suppose it depends on what your touchpoints for gaming were at the time, I worked in a game shop at the time and people were super excited for MGS2 (myself included) the casuals went wild for GTA3 , It outsold MGS2 at release.

MGS2 was what initiated the high street price wars, I remember a local indie were selling it for £25 on launch day, they were preordering at that price for weeks before.
                            Last edited by EvilBoris; 18-01-2018, 20:13.

Comment

GTA3 was a wonderful surprise. Like Manhunt it came from nowhere and it was totally class. Rockstar were pioneering great stuff during that era ... they really understood how to connect with a gamer.

Comment

I suppose it depends on what your touchpoints for gaming were at the time, I worked in a game shop at the time and people were super excited for MGS2 (myself included) the casuals went wild for GTA3 , It outsold MGS2 at release.

MGS2 was what initiated the high street price wars, I remember a local indie were selling it for £25 on launch day, they were preordering at that price for weeks before.
                                Nope, not how I remember it at all if you are talking in terms of anticipation and hype. As I said people were waiting for MGS2 based on the first one, no one gave a toss about GTA2 and 3 picked up traction slowly and then became a a behemoth as folks weren't lining up for it like they did say Street Fighter II but then it all depends on your store, clients etc.. the place I was at was rough as a badgers arse in an honest to goodness urban ghetto full of protochavs whose everyday lives were pretty much GTA3 making its premise seem like a busmans holiday until they played it and word spread.

Comment

Working...
                                X