Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [NS] - storyline spoiler-free please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam View Post
    Good stuff dude, I never had the patience. Does she sound KOS-MOSy in English?
    I play with Japanese voices so I wouldn't know :P I might try to switch languages, but I'd also need to refresh how she sound in the Xenosaga games though.

Comment

Patch 1.3 and its NG+ mode will hit the game next week. Here's what the patch will bring:
      * You can bond with enemy Blades (both through random bonding and through sidequests), with the exception of Shin and Malos apparently.
      * All Blades can be dispatched for merc missions, including Homura, Byakko, and all Blades that couldn't leave the party.
      * Additional character affinity chart.
      * You can level down characters and barter EXP for new items, including some that add additional equipment slots.
      * What carries over: driver level, equipment, and ideas; bonded Blades and their affinity charts; equipment; gold; merc level; event theathe; unique monster kills.
      * What doesn't carry over: quests, fast travel points, Heart-to-Heart events, cleared merc missions.

And other misc updates.

Comment

KOS-MOS' level II heals all active characters for the damage it deals.

Comment

And with Adenine unlocked, I've got my last rare Blade, and can happily move on to an other game once I'm done with her sidequest.

Comment

T-elos (as a new rare blade) and more new characters will join the fray in patch 1.4

Comment

Yay! KOS-MOS's hotter sister-bot gets added

Comment

I need to get back to this.

I ended up in a fight with Van Dam, against a boss, where I'm completely outclassed. I need to grind

Comment

I'm really tempted to start NG+.

Comment

Had a quick go now that patches and DLC packs have introduced new sidequests and new Blades. T-elos you have to unlock the usual way (popping Core Crystals, and she requires rare or better, plus having beaten the game; luckily enough I've got her after only 4 cores...and now you can skip animations too!), Poppibuster with a relatively long sidequest.

Poppibuster left me largely unimpressed, but I don't like using hammer-wielding Blades, but she/it is a rare Light Blade and can be bonded to anybody except Tora without Overdrive protocols.
                    T-elos...well, she wields a schythe (technically an axe in game's terms) and she does a lot of damage with ther specials: got 99999 with her level III Blade Combo finisher.

It's nice to see that these two Blades have their requirements toned down from other Blades, requiring 5000 trust points to unlock their highest chart level. 5000 points are still a bit high but far better than 9800 points required by many other Blades.
                    Still wrapping up new sidequests, not particularly long or difficult, and after those (and completing T-elos' and Poppibuster's charts) I'll most probably start a NG+.

Comment

OK, one of T-elos' ability is unlocked after 6000 jumps. More than 100 hours in this game and I haven't even reached 5000 (currentyl at 4821).

Comment

The lustre has started to fade from this for me, somewhat.

I've just got past the boss I mentioned earlier, where I'm inside a titan and heading to Uraya, and a few things have reared up.

Firstly, the combat, while entertainingly chaotic feels over-wrought. Now that the novelty has worn off, it feels like even the most basic of battles take ages. I'm really tempted to try and avoid enemies as I don't want to spend minutes fighting them.

However, there's a bigger concern that relates to this - that the enemies are shown to have a level, e.g. lv23, lv25... But it seems totally arbitrary and doesn't really assess how hard the enemy is to beat. I've had many battles with lv24 enemies where it was easy, and just right now I died because after wearing down a lv24 driver for several minutes, he just backhanded me and knocked down my entire party in under 5 seconds.

Also, question - if you die and respawn, do you keep the XP you earned before you died? Or lose it? As if you keep it, that's not so bad, it means in theory you're always progressing. This is different to an action game where you might learn how to win; I rarely seem to think I'm doing anything clever in the comba

I'm aware that some of these things are par for the course with JRPGs, that they historically can be a bit obtuse - but I thought the point of these games (and some others like FFXII) were to try and break out of those habits.

Also, question. I have a fair few blade crystals - should I open them? The game hasn't really explained why I need more blades on each character. Can I awaken more than 3 per-character and switch them? I already have more crystals than characters so I assume the answer is yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          However, there's a bigger concern that relates to this - that the enemies are shown to have a level, e.g. lv23, lv25... But it seems totally arbitrary and doesn't really assess how hard the enemy is to beat. I've had many battles with lv24 enemies where it was easy, and just right now I died because after wearing down a lv24 driver for several minutes, he just backhanded me and knocked down my entire party in under 5 seconds.
                          Dangerous-looking enemies (and well-hidden enemies as well) change their moveset based on health, that's why is important to use a Blade Chain to get a lockdown on special abilities if you don't have enough firepower to bring them down easily. Yes, fights do take their time, but it's because you'll want to use Chains, Combos, and everything the system offers to get the maximum damage and items dropped, it's a very important part of the system that you might completely miss if you don't try it.
                          My suggestion is to fight as much as you can and only avoid enemies that are either too strong or too weak.

Also, question - if you die and respawn, do you keep the XP you earned before you died? Or lose it?
                          You keep everything, even items enemies drop after a Driver Combo.

Also, question. I have a fair few blade crystals - should I open them? The game hasn't really explained why I need more blades on each character. Can I awaken more than 3 per-character and switch them? I already have more crystals than characters so I assume the answer is yes?
                          You can have I-don't-know-how-many Blades per character, that changes based on your mercenary level. I think all my characters have around 20 Blades each. You'll need extra Blade for mercenary missions, mostly. You'll also need more Blades for field skills that are either not covered (fully or in part) by rare Blades. And of course, without rare Blades in your party (or not the right element or weapon), you'll need them to fight.
                          I suggest popping normal Core Crystals to beef up your party, maybe the occasional rare Crystal, but keep onto your legendaries until you are level 50 and have a bunch of luck-boosting equippable items plus core boosters. It won't garauntee you getting a rare Blade but it will help. Be prepared to curse a lot after five legendary Crystals yeld level 1 or 2 Blades.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            You can have I-don't-know-how-many Blades per character, that changes based on your mercenary level. I think all my characters have around 20 Blades each. You'll need extra Blade for mercenary missions, mostly. You'll also need more Blades for field skills that are either not covered (fully or in part) by rare Blades. And of course, without rare Blades in your party (or not the right element or weapon), you'll need them to fight.
                            I suggest popping normal Core Crystals to beef up your party, maybe the occasional rare Crystal, but keep onto your legendaries until you are level 50 and have a bunch of luck-boosting equippable items plus core boosters. It won't garauntee you getting a rare Blade but it will help. Be prepared to curse a lot after five legendary Crystals yeld level 1 or 2 Blades.
                            I don't quite understand. So the main character can have three blades which can be switched between, and that I understand, because switching between opposing elements is important in the system.

However, why would you unlock a 4th? Or 5th? Or 20th?

Plus, do the AI party members ever switch blades in battle? As, for example, I have Nia, and she never seems to switch from Dromarch. So why would they need more blades?

Is this all just so that you have fire blades for some point where you go to an ice area, or ice blades for when you go to lava mountain?

I'm also not sure I've encountered Mercencary missions yet.

Comment

You can bond (use Core Crystals) a large number of Blades. The more a character has, the better. However you can assign only up to three Blades per character during combat. Having more Blades bonded to a character will give him or her more flexibility for elements and weapons.

NPCs do switch Blades in combat based on several factors, but it's normal to see Nya using Byakko most of the times i the opening hours as she'll mostly stick to special attack that can heal.

Elements are mostly used for Blade Combos (or Blade Chains, can't remember which one is correct), but you seem pretty early in the game and might not be able to trigger those yet. Enemies do have elemental weaknesses, but those aren't directly linked to areas.

Comment

Oh man, I just did the bit where...

You meet Mythra for the first time.

Also VANDHAAAAAAM, NOOOOOOOO

Some great movements on the story front.

Comment

Working...
                                X