Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, merely saying I'm at the point where I can't even imagine where they'd go with an MK9.

They killed it. The next one needs to be some kind of MK x Smash hybrid, or something.

Comment

It's the same with their Mario games. Odyssey is basically just Super Mario 64 with new levels and a hat. It's obviously still one of the best games ever, but if it came out on the N64 2/3 years after 64 it wouldn't have had nearly the same kind of reception.

Comment

At least BotW isn't just Ocarina/Majora with a new map and dungeons. Even if you dislike open world games that has to be celebrated.

Comment

One thing I will say about a new F-Zero... It absolutely requires a higher frame rate. GX can't quite push enough into that 60fps. Take for instance the final straight of Mute City, that final stretch through the grandstand is done in roughly 8 frames of animation. When you're vying to push for first place during Story Mode #7 by blocking an overtake it's make or break (mostly break).

The next one should be at least 144fps (and in 12K VR while we're at it). I'm happy to wait until 2030 seeing as we don't currently have the tech to do it justice. Maybe add another five years to that, because Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Nah, merely saying I'm at the point where I can't even imagine where they'd go with an MK9.

They killed it. The next one needs to be some kind of MK x Smash hybrid, or something.
            Haha, yeah, I take your point. It is the ultimate Mario Kart (yes, SMK lovers, it's better than SMK, I don't care what you say) and there's not necessarily many other significant upgrades to the basic formula I can imagine them making at this point.

But with that said, I'd be absolutely delighted with an MK9 which was literally the same thing but added more tracks. I think it's a given at this point that that will entail more stuff from other games - characters and courses and so on - making it more of a 'Nintendo Kart' and helping to keep it fresher.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              But with that said, I'd be absolutely delighted with an MK9 which was literally the same thing but added more tracks.
              I was waiting for you to say that.

In that regard why would they not offer another huge bulk of DLC content for a fair price again? I imagine more people would be pissed off at having to fork £50 for another new game so soon when the same amount of content could have been handed out for £16 (or however much the DLC cost, I remember it being quite cheap).

Oh boy, what would you actually do if they announced DLC for Deluxe only?

FWIW the new Battle Modes are excellent. Maybe not repeat purchase excellent, but there we go.

Comment

I'm not feeling the negativity towards the Switch. I've bought just five games for the console: Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Puyo Puyo Tetris but still enjoy playing them all regularly. But I think folks approach to games has changed over the years. Was a time gamers chose their games carefully and, if they chose well, would rinse the f*ck out of them, would do all there was to do and see all there was to see, the pleasure they got was in mastering them (or getting as good as they could) - and it's an approach I still try to adopt, but I think many gamers these days, having completed a game, immediately wanna move on to the next, to something new, new game after new game after new game. Games have become much more disposable in that sense. But, don't take that the wrong way, I ain't raising one approach above the other. The best approach is which you enjoy. I'm merely sharing an observation.

As for Mario Kart 7 and 8. 8's nowt is like 7. They might look similar but they play very differently. Mario Kart 8 is so much better.

Comment

I'd have liked handheld consoles to follow a pattern of simply being a portable version of the previous (or previous, previous of necessary) home consoles with the entire library. Right now I'd be playing demon's souls on vita, along with skyrim and fallout, Mario galaxy on switch etc.

Comment

I was waiting for you to say that.

In that regard why would they not offer another huge bulk of DLC content for a fair price again? I imagine more people would be pissed off at having to fork £50 for another new game so soon when the same amount of content could have been handed out for £16 (or however much the DLC cost, I remember it being quite cheap).

Oh boy, what would you actually do if they announced DLC for Deluxe only?

FWIW the new Battle Modes are excellent. Maybe not repeat purchase excellent, but there we go.
                    What I would do if they announced DLC for Deluxe is buy Deluxe on the day the DLC came out, and also buy the DLC! The reason I don't have Deluxe is because it doesn't have anything new except Battle Mode, which I've never been a fan of anyway.

Yeah, some people probably would moan that Mario Kart 9 'should have been DLC for 8', but they'd just be moaners 8 brand new cups, a bunch of new characters, some tweaks to the weapon loadout. That would easily be worth £50.

Comment

Just noticed Super Meat Boy released last week.

So stick with the great of try out The End is Nigh??

Comment

One thing I will say about a new F-Zero... It absolutely requires a higher frame rate. GX can't quite push enough into that 60fps. Take for instance the final straight of Mute City, that final stretch through the grandstand is done in roughly 8 frames of animation. When you're vying to push for first place during Story Mode #7 by blocking an overtake it's make or break (mostly break).

The next one should be at least 144fps (and in 12K VR while we're at it). I'm happy to wait until 2030 seeing as we don't currently have the tech to do it justice. Maybe add another five years to that, because Nintendo.
                        We may just about have 1080p 60fps standardised by 2030 :/.

Comment

60fps will never be standardised. Some developers will always choose to increase effects and target a 30fps framerate.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            60fps will never be standardised. Some developers will always choose to increase effects and target a 30fps framerate.
                            And that’s everyone's loss.

Comment

Tonight at 10PM UK GMT...

Comment

New way to play...for kids? One button controller here we go!

Comment

Working...
                                X