No announcement yet.

Monster Hunter: World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this the other day when I was trying to beat Nergigante. Just goes to show what can be achieved with tactics, teamwork and communication!

Monster Hunter World: The Making Of. Part One - Concept

Bounties and investigations explained:

Comment

Eurogamer review is up. This game is Essential apparently!

Excite has levelled up!

Comment

I no longer trust Eurgamer reviews after the EDF 2025 debacle (where the author admitted she wrote it "to make teenagers laugh"), but it's positive news, at least.

From GamesRadar (whom I love from their astounding Lost Planet 2 review)
        Monster Hunter World producer Ryozo Tsujimoto on bringing the game back to console, pleasing fans and not taking the Resi 7 reboot route.

Comment

^ You have to leave 'that' review go, Chimp! Who's organizing the MHW BD clan?
          Last edited by Golgo; 25-01-2018, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
            ^ You have to leave 'that' review go, Chimp!

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
            Who's organizing the MHW BD clan?
            Knock your socks off, mate!

Comment

It's not just Eurogamer that like it. Everybody seems to rate it!

Except Stevivor. What the hell's his problem?!

Joke, they rated it 7.5 "Good" and said:
              The good:
              • Amazing monster design.
              • Varied weaponry and armour to suit different playstyles.
              • Accessible yet hardcore.
              • Looks gorgeous even on a standard PS4.

The Bad:

• A steep learning curve.
              • Lots of grind.
              • Unfriendly UI.
              • Frustrating combat.

I visited Metacritic, so you don't have to.
              It's currently scoring 91.

EDIT: Hidden the wall of text.

Gaming Age Jan 25, 2018
              I again absolutely urge you to check out Monster Hunter: World if you have any passing interest in the series, or have been wondering what all the talk is about. It can be a difficult experience at first, but I definitely do not think it’s impenetrable to newcomers.

USgamer Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter has been in need of a big change for years, and this reboot-of-sorts could have easily gone wrong. Instead, Capcom took a careful look at Monster Hunter's design and cut all the fat while leaving the series trademark dense gameplay completely intact. All the changes, from the broad, sweeping ones to the granular alterations, only serve to improve an already winning formula. The next generation of Monster Hunter has finally begun, and, with Monster Hunter World, it's off to an incredibly good start.

Telegraph Jan 25, 2018
              The achievement of Monster Hunter: World, however, is that by the time these more archaic foibles become an issue you will already be in too deep. Any issues melt away as you leap whooping from your seat, punching the air after you slay a giant beast while on your last sliver of health. In Monster Hunter: World, those heart-pounding epiphanies happen with thrilling regularity.

TheSixthAxis Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is the evolution the series has been waiting for. The giant creatures have never looked better, while the beautiful open world areas and the way Scoutflies assist your exploration have brought a newfound dynamism to every hunt. It remains brutally difficult and the unprepared may still be chewed up and spat back out, but this time it’ll categorically be your own fault rather than the game’s. Whether on your own, or in a group, now is the time to join the hunt.

Trusted Reviews Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is one of the finest JRPGs you'll ever play, and the most inviting the series has ever been. It's clear to see why the franchise has such a dedicated following, and now that fan base is set to grow ever larger thanks to the incredible steps the developer has taken to make this game more welcoming to new players...Foe those with a penchant for punishment, a soft spot for stats and a crush on brilliant combat - you simply have to buy this game.

Gamer.nl Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is much more accessible than the other Monster Hunter Games. Systems are significantly easier to understand and unnecessary parts have been removed, without making the game feel simple. What is left is a constant thrill.

Hobby Consolas Jan 25, 2018
              World is the perfect evolution of the Monster Hunter saga. Creature and level design is great, co-op mode is incredibly fun and its weapon system is deep. We enjoyed every second of this gameplay that finds the perfect balance of following trails, collecting resources, studying beasts and killing them.

Game Informer Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is the best game in the series, and a welcoming gateway for newcomers to get in on the tail-chopping, rodeo-riding, and titan-slaying. I never want to play the series on handheld again after this, as the grainy graphics and clawed clutch can’t compare to the redefined experience core platforms facilitate.

DualShockers Jan 25, 2018
              Capcom has created an immersive living and breathing world, allowing players to fully enjoy the charm of the titular monsters within a credible ecosystem. Combined with solid improvements in story and gameplay, Monster Hunter: World is a must-have game for veteran fans and novices alike.

Gaming Nexus Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is a fascinating and beautiful game. MMO fans, action fans, RPG fans, and open world fans will all find something to love. This is a game that invites players in and gradually reveals its glorious depths. The non-conventional multi-player aspect might take some time to get used to, but the core loop of hunting monsters and crafting gear is so strong and addictive that even the most skeptical players will be snared by Monster Hunter's hooks if they give it half a chance.

IGN Jan 25, 2018
              This is the most audacious Monster Hunter game yet. Monster Hunter: World manages the balance between staying true to the series’ ideals and the addictive loop of combat with intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love, while also taking a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new. Its sheer depth and the commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isn’t Capcom's aim to court a casual crowd. It’s as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.

PlayStation LifeStyle Jan 25, 2018
              This is the modernization that Monster Hunter definitely needed. Not only is it the most dynamic title in the series to date, it's just a fantastic action role-playing game. Even if you've bounced off the series in the past, I highly recommend giving Monster Hunter: World a try. It's where the series finally truly clicked for me, and that is very much by design. Capcom has updated their formula for a new generation, and it's a real treat for all.

InsideGamer.nl Jan 25, 2018
              After many attempts, Monster Hunter World is the first Monster Hunter game we would recommend to every gamer. It is amazing how much bigger and more intuitive this game is, without getting overly easy.

Vandal Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is not only a great game, but it has managed to evolve the series very effectively, making it more accessible without losing its essence, its depth or its difficulty.

Everyeye.it Jan 25, 2018
              The 65 hours spent visiting every corner of Monster Hunter World left us happy and hungry.

Gameblog.fr Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is the real reboot of the series we've been waiting for for so long. Capcom has managed to maintain the essence of the game while getting rid of the gameplay rigidity of the past years, and the result is a beautiful and fantastic game.

Atomix Jan 25, 2018
              A sensational gateway for newcomers who are willing to sample the temptations of hunting monsters.

Meristation Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is huge in each and every aspect of the game. This brand new entry in the series marks a step forward not only in technical terms but also in the mechanics. MH has evolved from a difficult game to get into in a more accessible videogame that prioritizes action and vitality overall.

RPG Site Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World re-invents and re-imagines many of the series' core tenets while also maintaining the ideas that made earlier entries in the series great.

We Got This Covered Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is a balancing act of accessibility and classic appeal. Novice fans will enjoy the reasonable streamlining and fluid combat, while veterans will relish in the seemingly endless challenges set aside for high ranked players. Whatever 2018 brings, I'll be playing this game for a long, long time.

Destructoid Jan 25, 2018
              If you've been skipping out on Monster Hunter games for a while because they seem to blend together, jumping into World is your chance to get in.

EGM Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World has found a way to lower its barrier of entry for newcomers while still delivering an immersive experience that long-time fans of the series crave. The combat has a bit of a learning curve, and multiplayer could use a few tweaks, but no matter your experience level with the series, this will be time well spent for all hunters ready to pick up a sword, bowgun, or gunlance.

Eurogamer Italy Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter finally arrives on the new generation consoles. Its soul is intact: it is always divided in two main sectors, the preparation and the hunt, and it’s fun as ever. The hunts are long and secondary quests or activities, like collecting the pieces to craft armors and weapons, could take months. The monsters are now moved by the most complex and smooth animations we've ever seen in a videogame, but maps are not so big and interactive. Monster Hunter: World is a big step up for the series, not for the current videogames scenario.

FANDOM Jan 25, 2018
              Quite simply, this game is gorgeous. With huge and beautifully atmospheric landscapes for you to hunt and gather across, the new graphical grunt afforded to the devs has resulted in a brilliantly immersive world. Little plants retreat when you walk near. Colourful insects flutter and glisten across the horizon. It’s a functioning ecosystem designed with love and care and the locales you find yourself exploring are every bit as memorable as the monsters themselves.

GamesBeat Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is one of the more rewarding action role-playing games I've played in recent years.

Hardcore Gamer Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World marks the beginning of even greater things to come in the future. It re-imagined the series from a wider perspective, while keeping the core of what so many players new and old will continue to enjoy.

Metro GameCentral Jan 25, 2018
              The best Monster Hunter so far, and already one of the most compelling multiplayer games of the year – with an elegant balance between depth, difficulty, and accessibility.

Multiplayer.it Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is not easier per se as we feared. Capcom just made it much more accessible, intuitive and friendly to newcomers but the game retains the same fundamental structure fans fell in love with years ago. New maps and monsters look and behave great, weapons feel better than ever, and there is ton of replay value with all that stuff to craft and quests to clear.

Playstation Universe Jan 25, 2018
              With little in its way, Monster Hunter World smashes expectations with its organic, living, beautiful world. Matchmaking has its quirks and qualms, but little stands in the way of what’s been created here. Monster Hunter World raises the bar high without distilling what made the franchise special in the first place.

GamePro Germany Jan 25, 2018
              On the big screen, the epic battles of Monster Hunter World seem incredibly impressive, especially since the visual presentation is not stingy with particle and special effects. Now that I have a clever controller with four shoulder buttons and two analog sticks in my hand, the whole thing can also be used reasonably, without tying my hands in knots.

IGN Italia Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is a game that requires some initial effort and the ability to endure what may seem like excessive complexity for a time. There is a very real possibility, however, that these efforts will be repaid with enormous satisfaction, and that the game will capture you without letting you go.

IGN Spain Jan 25, 2018
              Capcom will hunt down new players with his biggest Monster Hunter game. At the same time it continues to feed the hardcore fans with a title that has all the keys to the series and important new developments. Now we will be facing bigger and more beautiful monsters and environments.

SpazioGames Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter World is an incredible game, the new consoles have simplified many old gameplay mechanics and the gameplay has an enviable variety and depth. Too bad about the lack of true innovative mechanics and the technical aspect.

God is a Geek Jan 25, 2018
              From the gorgeous visuals to the design in its monsters and ecosystems, Capcom has made the best Monster Hunter game yet. It's just a shame it doesn't help with its complex systems an occasionally poor explanations of them.

GameSpot Jan 25, 2018
              The Monster Hunter formula has definitely honed its claws, and all the above factors play their part in making Monster Hunter World a meaningful evolution for the series at large.

PSX-Sense.nl Jan 25, 2018
              Especially enjoyable in co-op, Monster Hunter World offers a tremendous amount of challenge and exploration, enough to keep fans busy for months or years to come. If not for the limited crafting options and graphical glitches, this game might have warranted a perfect score.

Push Square Jan 25, 2018
              Monster Hunter: World is easily the finest entry in the franchise to date. The move to PS4 has only done it favours, with stunning visuals and environments that you'll want to get lost in. Flashy, satisfying combat will lead to many water cooler chats, and vastly improved online features make it a breeze to find help. It's a real shame that Capcom still hasn't found an ideal way to welcome new players, but if you are able to sink your teeth into World, you'll discover an incredible action RPG experience.

Twinfinite Jan 25, 2018
              If you find the idea of facing down monstrous beasts with a group of friends and hunting together for hours on end appealing, Monster Hunter: World has what you're looking for.

Digital Trends Jan 25, 2018
              By mitigating some of the grind, introducing meaningful mechanical changes, and convincing new players to stick around by getting straight into some epic battles, Monster Hunter World emphasizes the series’ biggest strength — the colossal showdowns.

Stevivor Jan 25, 2018
              If you’re already a fan of the series, you’ll love this. If you’re new though, you’d better be dedicated as this takes a long time to learn, and longer to master.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-01-2018, 17:20.

Comment

Yea, 91 on OpenCritic - getting rave reviews.

A breakthrough title for the franchise, Monster Hunter World brings accessible, yet deep gameplay to modern consoles. Fans and newcomers alike will enjoy this elegant and satisfying action...

Comment

How are people playing when it doesn't go live for another 14 hours? Stupid digital pre-orders.
                  Last edited by kryss; 25-01-2018, 14:04. Reason: 14 hours

Comment

Watching King Gothalion on Twitch and he's admitted on stream that a friend from Gamestop has basically sold / given him a copy early - which apparently he OK'ed with Capcom. I assume it's physical discs coming through early for people.

Comment

Just got home and my copy isn't waiting for me.

Do they know who I think I am?

I was thinking about this on the drive home. I really have no idea where to start on this!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        How are people playing when it doesn't go live for another 14 hours? Stupid digital pre-orders.
                        Because Australia... Mine is there ready, but it's Australia Day public holiday and my in-laws are staying with us so we'll be doing a BBQ (original)... Plus it's my daughter's first birthday tomorrow. I might get to we my Xbox before Monday.

Actually edit... I can't touch mine till later as I bought from the US.
                        Last edited by nonny; 25-01-2018, 22:38.

Comment

Wow, MHW is a top ten trending search in the UK!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Just got home and my copy isn't waiting for me.

Do they know who I think I am?

I was thinking about this on the drive home. I really have no idea where to start on this!
                            Pick a weapon and practice using it until you get it. Try the great sword as you can use it as a shield. It's slow but meaty and gives you a good grounding for other weapons.

Comment

Gaijin Hunter's review

Comment

I enjoyed the lance in the demo so I think I may go with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X