Mame Cabinet - Does anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    Why not speak to Videotronics & get yourself one of his recently imported Blast City Cabs & then go to Excellentcom & grab a Pandoras box board for an all in solution

Cab - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381486056575?_mwBanner=1
    Board - http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.a...0&pdtid=753956

You will a JVS-JAMMA adaptor as the blast is JVS wired but these arent too hard to come by & I think you can get one from Videotronics anyway

That would be the route I'd take if I ever had the space & money (although I'd try for an Atomiswave or New Net City cab)

Neil
    That whole solution works for me in terms of price (I had budgeted about ?800, given I know I could always sell it for a similar price). Only problem is that the games list doesn't include Third Strike.

Do you know if it can be modified? Like is it on an SD card, or something?

Comment

I'll start smoking but you'll have to look after the wife and daughter when it kills me.

You're not having my games though!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        That whole solution works for me in terms of price (I had budgeted about ?800, given I know I could always sell it for a similar price). Only problem is that the games list doesn't include Third Strike.

Do you know if it can be modified? Like is it on an SD card, or something?
        Not that I'm aware of but if you look on EBay you can get a 520 in 1 Pandora 3 for under ?100 delivered & in the games list it has 3rd Strike

Hopefully that would suit

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          I'll start smoking but you'll have to look after the wife and daughter when it kills me.

You're not having my games though!
          But he can have your wife?!

Comment

He's too hairy.

Comment

I'd stay away from multiboards like the Pandora/blue Elf etc, they're sh*t. They have horrible generic gfx filters, jerky scrolling and have input lag. They may be okay for your average player who isn't fussy, but they're sooo shoddy. Also the homemade ?1000+ cabs with LCD screens are a blatant ripoff, and also have control lag and sub par controls. The only real way to do a Mame cab is by getting an old Jamma cab with a CRT and running a Jpac with a PC running "Groovymame + CRT_Emudrivers" There is NOTHING that even comes close! Installing a Jpac means that the cab is still 100% compatible with PCBs as well as running Mame. For those that don't know, Groovymame is a special version of Mame that works in conjunction with specially modified drivers that work with Radeon gfx cards that are optimised for use on a CRT. The results are lag free emulation with the EXACT screen refresh-rate and resolution of the actual PCB, and not a "one size fits all" botch job that the multicart emulation uses. It blew my mind when I made mine a few years ago, It's lightyears ahead of the shoddy Chinese multicarts it's not even funny.

Here is a small video I made of an overview of mine.

a vid with a PCB/Groovymame comparison.

Last edited by ExMosquito; 13-03-2016, 23:47.

Comment

Well my cabinet turned up at the weekend and myself and Nakamura played on it for a while. It's an LCD so needs to have some scanlines added to it (although you barely notice when you're actually playing) and the speakers need upgrading, but for the price I paid it's excellent. Didn't notice any input lag, although I am struggling to currently play Power Drift on it . All the arcade racers I've played except for that one are fine. The Lightgun games don't work either at the moment, so I need to look at that. Other than that I think it's brilliant.
                Your cabinet looks great Exmosquito. Sadly I don't have the knowhow to create anything myself so went with a ready made option
                Oh and my cabinet shell looks similar to yours, it's just had an extra foot added to the base to make it taller.
                Last edited by Strider; 14-03-2016, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                  The Lightgun games don't work either at the moment, so I need to look at that.
                  Unless someone's found a clever workaround by 2016, traditional wisdom states that lightgun games will never work on an LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Unless someone's found a clever workaround by 2016, traditional wisdom states that lightgun games will never work on an LCD.
                    Oh I know that, but because they feature an onscreen cursor I was hoping there was a way to move them digitally. They currently zip from one side of the screen to the other at the mo. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have.

Comment

Oh I know that, but because they feature an onscreen cursor I was hoping there was a way to move them digitally. They currently zip from one side of the screen to the other at the mo. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have.
                      Typically the defaults for Lightgun games are mouse control in MAME.

Comment

I think this is why many of the custom MAME machines have trackballs - obviously there are trackball games, but you can use them for this stuff too.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if I have room to add a trackball...

Comment

Gun games are strangely playable with a mouse, they're quite precise for aiming but it can get a pretty tricky when sweeping from one side of the screen to the other with accuracy. Here's my attempted Not sure how good it would be for Time Crisis though, where fast speed and accuracy is required, but for hotd it's fine.

Comment

It's not ideal, but at least it will make them playable. Better pick up a mouse with a long enough cord today Just need to solve my Power Drift problem now...

Comment

You're probably having trouble with powerdrift because you're using digital controls for a game that uses an analog steeringwheel. You can tweet the sensitivity in the Mame options. At the moment when you're pressing a direction and it's gradually building up to full-lock, you wanna set the sensitivity in Mame to do an instant full lock.
                                Last edited by ExMosquito; 14-03-2016, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X