Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 (PS4, XBox1, PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 (PS4, XBox1, PC)

3rd person cartoonish shoot-'em-up, sequel to the 3rd person cartoonish shoot-'em-up, based on the beloved tower defence games. Basically the entire game seems like a battle royale (Competitive MP, horde and coop [online, split-screen or single-player with AI], plus 'dedicated' single player modes for Plants and Zombies [more like bits of MP bolted together with a bit of story, but enjoyable enough]), including also a massive, secret-filled hub-world (Backyard Battleground) featuring an endless war between Ps and Zs that you can pitch into at any time.

14 character classes (7 apiece), each very distinct and with multiple unlocks/variants available though purchasing card packs. Refreshingly, not a micro-transaction in sight at the moment, and the coinage piles up nice and quick across all modes so there seems no shortage of opportunities to buy stuff.

It all looks and sounds gorgeous, runs very well at 60fps or thereabouts (or so it seems, to my eyes) and the various systems, modes and menus have been clicked together with the elegant simplicity PopCap were known for in the more 'casual' space of their olden days.

I can't find much to fault in it, to be honest, although something is not quite right and I can't say if I'll be into it for long. Movement seems a little slow, perhaps, or maybe the feeling of randomness in MP due to the sheer mayhem of what's going on? There may be balancing issues: the Rose seems way overpowered (hence the likelihood of facing up against a team made up exclusively of Roses), the Imp seems currently all but useless for much of the round with his 50HP until Mech arrives, or maybe I've just not yet learned how to deal with them 'strategically', but again it's not a game that seems to lend itself readily to strategy. It's never less than good fun, though. Going to give it some more play and thought tonight...

Played into wee small hours last night, including some split screen coop, and really enjoying it now - such silly fun. Classes are beginning to make more sense to me, and other players seem also to be settling down and starting to work together, finding ways to deal with the more easy-to-spam classes. Movement and movesets which seem initially quite slow and rudimentary open up in fun ways when you start combining them together, e.g. the 'Super Brainz' character, whose kung-fu kick turns into a fast traversal move when used in the air. There's a bit more depth here than initial appearances might suggest, but I think it's a game that'll probably be best enjoyed by dipping into over a period of a few months rather than 'rinsed', which is fine by me. Shame no-one here nor anyone on my friends list is playing, but the MP is packed with players and I can get into a full-team in any mode of game within seconds; no lag, frame-rate drop or disconnects, very stable experience all round.
    Last edited by Golgo; 02-03-2016, 15:11.

Comment

Well...the 'no microtransactions' holiday was fun for the week or two that it lasted. Yesterday's update brought them in fulsomely, but they are all for cosmetic things. Moreover they are not splashed all over the game as you play but only in the mailbox in your yard, which you can ignore if you choose, so it's not too disagreeable. Plus, the speed you gain coins to buy the 'sticker packs' is still amazingly generous. Also, Rose has been nerfed and suddenly games are much more fun and balanced. Just a shame you twerps are all off joining queues in The Division ...

Comment

This is on my wish list, but TBH I've only really just started PvZ 1 so I want to work my way through that 1st. I will be getting this but will probably be a few months away yet. I've been following the game on GAF and it sounded like it was pretty unbalanced due to everyone using Rose. So it's good they've nerfed her.

Comment

If you play the first one you can import any characters you unlock.

I'm only playing the trial in this on EA Access but I couldn't get into an actual populated game. Stuck just playing garden ops and the main lobby stuff. I loved the first one though, got up to rank 70 something, but I think I'll wait for a price drop on this as I feel it shouldn't be a full price game if you owned the first.

Comment

Why should full-featured sequel be offered at discount to those who owned the previous game? If this is a rule I've been cheated many times over decades past and shall be having a quiet word with Dark Souls 3.

Comment

Because I don't think it is full featured, it feels like a re-release to me and in many respects I think the full price is putting people off picking it up.

Comment

Working...
              X