• Show
Clear All

Would you buy a Super Famicom Turbo?

Super Famicom Turbo

SPECS:

CPU:
    16MHz 68000
    PPU:
    More sophisticated features & Modes, such as Mode 7 having more scope.
    Super FX:
    Has an onboard Super FX version 3 for flat shaded polygons and added power for Mode 7 games.
    Resolution:
    240p
    Sound:
    Standard SFC sound chip
    Colour Palette:
    15-bit RGB (32,768 color) palette, with up to 256 simultaneous colors
    Media:
    SFC cartridges utilising flash memory
    Controller:
    Standard SFC joypad

First year games:

Nintendo:
    Super Mario World 3; Super Metroid 2; F-Zero Turbo; Super Mario RPG 2; New Kirby game; Star Fox Turbo; Super Mario Kart 2; New Pokemon; Tetris Turbo

Konami: Super Gradius Turbo; New Contra game; Castlevania V; New Metal Gear game; Axelay 2

Capcom: Demon's Blazon 2; Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts 2; New Street Fighter 2 game; Mercs 2; Area 88 2 Turbo

Square Enix: New Final Fantasy game; Final Fantasy Tactics Turbo; New Chrono Trigger; Actraiser 3

Retail price: $129/?99

If Nintendo - inspired by the popularity of retro gaming worldwide - decided to release this console, and all the games above(plus many others from all sorts of publishers) were launched in the first year, would you buy it?

I know i would. Despite 16-bit being relatively simple tech, I still love low resolution 2D graphics and chip music. I think many of the games above could be absolutely brilliant, despite lacking the high resolution sheen and fancy effects of modern games.

Limitations could inspire creatives to do things that they wouldn't do when using modern hardware. It really would be interesting to see what modern developers would create with this sort of supercharged 16-bit tech. In a world of awesome computing power, people of all ages still enjoy playing 8 & 16-bit games. So, with that in mind, maybe Nintendo would have a winner on their hands by indulging people's hunger for retro gaming? If other publishers supported their vision, I think it would most probably capture a lot of gamers imaginations and sell either quite well, or be a big hit. I know that many people would say "that could never be popular", but I think there's a strong possibility that it would sell well and be a companion console to modern tech.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-03-2016, 04:41.

Lovely sentiment(and game ideas), but I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather spend that money on actual retro consoles and games.

I think we're past the point where a seriously underpowered system would be anything more than a curiosity for hobbyists or a scam(Retro VGS) but I'd be interested if Nintendo turned VC into a self-contained delivery platform that could be ported to other systems such as iOS and Android with decent controllers being made available. They could allow developers to make retro-style games for whatever VC-compatible system they wanted. Maybe they could also release a standalone VC-only console alongside the full-powered NX.

However, if Sega were to release a Megadrive Turbo with SoR4...

Comment

no Zelda, no sale!

Comment

I would buy it, but only with pretty cast-iron software support. That'd be the problem.

Comment

If it came with all of that software? Deffinately.

Comment

If it had support, certainly!Indie games like Volgarr would be ace on it.
            Last edited by nakamura; 01-03-2016, 12:17.

Comment

SF turbo already exists

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Super Famicom Turbo

SPECS:

CPU:
                16MHz 68000
                PPU:
                More sophisticated features & Modes, such as Mode 7 having more scope.
                Super FX:
                Has an onboard Super FX version 3 for flat shaded polygons and added power for Mode 7 games.
                Resolution:
                240p
                Sound:
                Standard SFC sound chip
                Colour Palette:
                15-bit RGB (32,768 color) palette, with up to 256 simultaneous colors
                Media:
                SFC cartridges utilising 8GB of flash memory
                Controller:
                Standard SFC joypad

First year games:

Nintendo:
                Super Mario World 3; Super Metroid 2; F-Zero Turbo; Super Mario RPG 2; New Kirby game; Star Fox Turbo; Super Mario Kart 2; New Pokemon; Tetris Turbo

Konami: Super Gradius Turbo; New Contra game; Castlevania V; Metal Gear game; Axelay 2

Capcom: Demon's Blazon 2; Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts 2; New Street Fighter 2 game; Mercs 2, Area 88 Turbo

Square Enix: New Final Fantasy; Final Fantasy Tactics Turbo; New Chrono Trigger; Actraiser 3

Retail price: $129/?99

If Nintendo - inspired by the popularity of retro gaming worldwide - decided to release this console, and all the games above(plus many others from all sorts of publishers) were launched in the first year, would you buy it?

I know i would. Despite 16-bit being relatively simple tech, I still love low resolution 2D graphics and chip music. I think many of the games above could be absolutely brilliant, despite lacking the high resolution sheen and fancy effects of modern games.

Limitations could inspire creatives to do things that they wouldn't do when using modern hardware. It really would be interesting to see what modern developers would create with this sort of supercharged 16-bit tech. In a world of awesome computing power, people of all ages still enjoy playing 8 & 16-bit games. So, with that in mind, maybe Nintendo would have a winner on their hands by indulging people's hunger for retro gaming? If other publishers supported their vision, I think it would most probably capture a lot of gamers imaginations and sell either quite well, or be a big hit. I know that many people would say "that could never be popular", but I think there's a strong possibility that it would sell well and be a companion console to modern tech.

What do you think?
                Dude...just let it go.

I'm with [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] on this - I'd much rather just play on legit retro consoles today. It isn't just about the tech - it's about the context of the period and our youth as much, if not more so.

Even if this were available, it simply wouldn't be as good as things were back then, imho.

Comment

Too many sequels.

No LttP2
                  No Pilotwings 2
                  No SimCity 2
                  Last edited by dataDave; 01-03-2016, 14:24.

Comment

Errr.

Comment

I am quite happy with my Super Famicom as it is! History is a part of it for me too, as mentioned above.

Comment

I wouldn't buy this. If it played original SFC games, I'd just stick with an original SFC, and if it didn't, then I wouldn't bother buying it just for the games you've listed. What would be the point of a new Streetfighter 2 game?

I might buy some of the games if they came out on the Virtual Console, but Nintendo are slow enough releasing the games that have already been made, let alone releasing new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          Lovely sentiment(and game ideas), but I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather spend that money on actual retro consoles and games.
                          For ?99 with Super Mario World 3, I'd buy it. The promise of other games like F-Zero Turbo would inspire me to have faith in the machine.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          I think we're past the point where a seriously underpowered system would be anything more than a curiosity for hobbyists or a scam(Retro VGS)
                          The whole point of me choosing Nintendo, is that the company is highly professional and respected. It's also a company that could take an idea like this and make it succesful.

And if the machine were using modern tech, it would defeat the whole idea of placing strict limitations on developers, as a way to inspire creativity. The best way to get devs to make retro-inspired games, is for them to use relatively simple hardware.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                          no Zelda, no sale!
                          I forgot to mention that 'A Link to the Past 2' is a second year game.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          If it came with all of that software? Deffinately.
                          Yeah, even if it only had that collection of games, I'd buy it and be happy.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          If it had support, certainly!Indie games like Volgarr would be ace on it.
                          I know that indie games are popular, but I'd prefer top publishers and developers to create games for a retro system like this. I'd much rather see a new Gradius, R-Type, Axelay etc... than a modern indie shooter. But I know that some indie games are cool and would work well on 16-bit hardware.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          SF turbo already exists
                          Oh no... Nintendo better change the name.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Even if this were available, it simply wouldn't be as good as things were back then, imho.
                          Have you ever discovered a Mame game and liked it? If people still discover retro games and they become favourites, then those same people would be interested in playing brand new retro-inspired games. A new 16-bit console would make sure the games look and sound the way retro fans want them to.

I think lots of gamers would say "I like 16-bit graphics & sound", so it's just something people still enjoy. Lots of people would like a new 16-bit Super Mario World 3, despite Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U being a stunning, fun game.

And I don't agree about nostalgia, despite that emotion being relevant. I think a 16-bit 2D game like Super Mario World is just as fun and compelling as a modern 3D platformer. Also, the retro scene is very lively, with all sorts of people enjoying it. There really is something about 8 & 16-bit games that appeals to a vast range of people.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          Too many sequels.

No LttP2
                          No Pilotwings 2
                          No SimCity 2
                          I said "first year games", so could have listed hundreds of games on my 'wanted list'. But the games I listed were just to inspire people into thinking the idea would be cool.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                          I wouldn't buy this. If it played original SFC games, I'd just stick with an original SFC, and if it didn't, then I wouldn't bother buying it just for the games you've listed. What would be the point of a new Streetfighter 2 game?

I might buy some of the games if they came out on the Virtual Console, but Nintendo are slow enough releasing the games that have already been made, let alone releasing new ones.
                          The concept is all about delivering a truly 16-bit console, but one that overcomes the limitations that consoles like the Mega Drive & Super Nintendo had at the time. Essentially it would be a more powerful Neo Geo. The Nintendo name and software would be the best fit for this sort of product.

With retro gaming being a global phenomenon, I think Nintendo could inspire gamers with this throwback idea. I know lots of people would say "what's the point of a new 16-bit console?", but there are many points why being 16-bit is essential and why it could capture lots of gamers imaginations.

And if Nintendo found success with their games, I think a lot of publishers would jump on board and deliver 16-bit games again.

Of course, this idea could be seen negatively, as "irrational" "ludicrous" "pointless" etc... But as an avid retro gamer, I think the idea is inspired and with the right price, marketing and software, could actually be a hit. A success that lots of people wouldn't predict because they just don't get why a new 16-bit console is a beautiful idea.

Remember, I'm specifically saying a new "Nintendo 16-bit console", not just a 16-bit console. If someone just put a 16-bit machine out there, it wouldn't grab the attention of top publishers like Nintendo, Sega, Capcom etc.. so would flop badly. It really would be essential that Nintendo create & maket this machine.

I think the gaming scene is a mature enough now for a concept like this to work. But, of course, Nintendo and other publishers would have to deliver truly great 16-bit games that make the machine worth owning.

Ultimately, it's a console backed by a huge company that truly delivers retro games, instead of retro-esque games. The hardware limitations are vital to achieve this goal. The whole idea - from the 16-bit tech, to the cartridges and joypad - is to inspire the development community to embrace 16-bit gaming again, and give the millions of retro gamers across the world something to excited about.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-03-2016, 04:24.

Comment

It just wouldn't work or happen for so many reasons. It's a nice idea, and I've asked a similar question here before, but it's only for a very small user group in the grand scheme of things. None of the manufacturers would ever do it as there isn't any financial viability to the idea to make it worth their while, either regarding hardware or software, that's the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              The whole point of me choosing Nintendo, is that the company is highly professional and respected. It's also a company that could take an idea like this and make it succesful.
                              If this is in some kind of parallel universe, where Nintendo is still flying high, then fair enough. I wouldn't trust the current Nintendo to pull something like this off, though. They'd find a way to muck it up. I really do think what you're dreaming of needs Nintendo to revive their SFC-era selves which is impossible.

But then, what's wrong with dreaming? It's all hypothetical, after all. And if - if - something like this did happen on the scale you describe, I'm sure many of us would go bananas for it. An alternative would be Nintendo simply re-releasing the SNES, opening it up to indie developers and using a cheaper method of game delivery than the old carts.

I've changed my mind and want to join in your dream. I would buy this SFC Turbo II' if it did what you're hoping for and had decent devs on board

Comment

Working...
                              X