Would you buy a Super Famicom Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    That would be end of days amazing. A few thousand run of Metal Slug & Turf Masters please.
    Man, remember the collective wail when they found those copies of Faselei?

This would be like Obi-wan sensing Alderaan getting destroyed. I think all core gamers would feel faint for a few moments following the announcement. It'd be like Shenmue 3 x5.

Comment

Make it handheld and I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Make it handheld and I'm in.
        A handheld Neo-Geo has already been made, doofus!

[hide]

[/hide]

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          That's all it ever be . You should just be thankful that you were around and grew up in that age of gaming.
          I am thankful that I grew up in the 80s & 90s, so I experienced the evolution of gaming. But I also remember that gaming was always about the "cutting edge" , so when 16-bit became popular, no one wanted 8-bit anymore, the same with every subsequent generation.

But something unusual happened around 10 years ago: People started appreciating retro games. Despite having powerful consoles like the 360 & PS3 with relatively amazing graphics, the retro scene began growing and growing until "retro gaming" became a normal and accepted part of the gaming scene. At that time, indie devs making retro-inspired games also became popular.

I would never have imagined 15 years ago, that retro gaming would become a big thing and not just a niche. Retro hardware and games being seen as "cool" and worth tons of money, is something I don't think many people expected.

So, now I realise that gaming has matured to such a high level, that a new 16-bit console from a company like Nintendo and backed up with quality games, could stand a good chance of being a success. It might seem like a radical idea, but I think it really could be a big thing.

What really could and should happen is NCL to port more of Snes classics to the 3DS and Wii U
          That's a simple wish. What I'm talking about is actually getting lots of brand new, top quality 16-bit games. The only way we could guarantee that the games are truly "retro" and also potentially high quality, is if Nintendo were behind the machine and made it a success. If it were succesful, then 16-bit gaming would live again with a fresh 16-bit console and games.

Of course, that could be seen as something pandering to a very small niche audience, but I don't think so. No, even if only a quarter of gamers were interested in the machine, that would still be a very significant number. And with indie & retro gaming being a big thing, that's the evidence you need to show that most people with an interest in retro gaming would probably buy a new 16-bit Nintendo machine if it had appealing games.

People buy all sorts of gadgets & tech, simply because there's a huge hunger for new toys. So, if Nintendo did release a cheap supercharged 16-bit console with some truly special games and support from third party devs, I think lots of people would just buy into the idea and be happy with games like Super Mario World 3, Super Mario Kart 2, and other cool, truly 16-bit games.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          I think you're vastly overestimating things with your "millions of retro gamers".
          I think it is "millions" of gamers who have some degree of interest in retro and retro-inspired games. Most of them probably aren't obsessive about retro stuff, but a lot of them probably have a good degree of enthusiasm for retro games. From what I can tell, retro gaming is hugely popular across the globe.

But just because I'm an enthusiast who truly loves retro gaming, it doesn't mean you would have to be an obsessive like me to buy into the idea of a new 16-bit console. No, if it had good games and the marketing was clever, I think it could capture people's imaginations.

Remember, I'm not talking about a little company making a dodgy Android-based retro console that simply plays roms. No, I'm talking about a supercharged 16-bit console from a respected company with the money to put into marketing and games development. Why I chose Nintendo, is because it's the only big console developer who could take such an idea and actually know what to do with it. It's all about recognising the popularity of retro & retro-inspired games and taking advantage of that by giving those gamers brand new 16-bit hardware & games to get excited about.

I know what I'm saying will be seen as "radical" if not "crazy" by many people, but because the idea appeals to me, I think it could appeal to other retro gamers. I'm not joking when I say I'd buy the console and most of those games listed, if I could.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-03-2016, 11:36.

Comment

so when 16-bit became popular, no one wanted 8-bit anymore, the same with every subsequent generation.
            I did . Still love my ZX Spectrum and Master System. People still want to buy for and collect those systems . I would at a guess say more people love their PS than the 8 or 16 bit generation

It might seem like a radical idea,
            I think it does. Since NCL haven't ever been able to recapture the magic of Mario IV at all be that on any system (even 2D ones) , same goes for Konami . Just because you can put a number 2 after Axelay doesn't mean it will be any good . Its hard to recapture the magic sometimes

People started appreciating retro games
            Think that's always been there imo. People love to look back, hell I remember even in the PS2 and DC days many forums (for the day) having a retro section. Even the likes of Gamefan Mag would have a retro corner looking back at classic games

I think it is "millions" of gamers who have some degree of interest in retro and retro-inspired games.
            I think its more thousands myself .

Retro hardware and games being seen as "cool" and worth tons of money, is something I don't think many people expected
            Thank e-bay and the internet for that . People now know they can make money off the back of us , and that's the worst part of the modern day life . Gone are the days where you pick up a real gem of deals in the local market or car boot sale... Everyone just does a google or look on e-bay and see what the classic games are going far .

Its not just gaming, Record LP are big money , so is collecting and selling toy cars, train sets and so on . Vintage is just a way to make money out of us people that love and grew up in that era

Comment

I think its more thousands myself .
              I agree. If the retro scene consisted of millions of people, prices would be a lot worse than what they already are.

Comment

We already have supercharged consoles capable of amazing 16-Bit style retro games though Leon, they're called PS4, Xbox One and Wii-U. (Well, might as well use the last one for something)

Comment

We already have supercharged consoles capable of amazing 16-Bit style retro games though Leon, they're called PS4, Xbox One and Wii-U. (Well, might as well use the last one for something)
                  And there's some really good 2D and 2.5 games on those systems too through XBLA and PSN

Comment

I did . Still love my ZX Spectrum and Master System.
                    And you know that is was the norm for people to discard old tech for new. That was the attitude in gaming until quite recently.

The idea that old machines are worth owning, playing, and even paying lots of money for, is a new phenomenon. I remember when people couldn't give away Mega Drives and NES consoles, but now they're seen as "cool" and worth owning by lots of people.

If I did a poll, I'm sure that the majority of people would say they didn't expect retro gaming and modern retro-inspired games to be popular. So it shows that gaming has matured and perceptions have changed. You can buy Shovel Knight on disc for the PS4.

There are actually people under 25 who buy retro consoles & games. I don't underestimate how popular retro gaming is.

Since NCL haven't ever been able to recapture the magic of Mario IV at all be that on any system (even 2D ones) , same goes for Konami . Just because you can put a number 2 after Axelay doesn't mean it will be any good . Its hard to recapture the magic sometimes
                    Why would any publisher bother trying to match the best examples of 2D games, when the market has been very much focused on 3D since 1995. Since that time, it's mostly been small devs and indies making retro-esque games. Even when top publishers commision 2D games, the results are often underwhelming. There just hasn't been much love for 2D from the big publishers in the modern[1995 to now] era.

Its not just gaming, Record LP are big money , so is collecting and selling toy cars, train sets and so on . Vintage is just a way to make money out of us people that love and grew up in that era
                    If you look at the the world of 'vintage collecting', you'll see that it encompasses all sorts of stuff, from clothing, to books, art, music, films, toys, technology etc.... And I know it's not centered on 'nostalgia', so when people go on about "nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia", I don't totally agree. I just think nostalgia can play a part, but people can still enjoy things from all sorts of eras without nostalgia playing a part.

So, maybe a retro-inspired console would appeal to more than just 30+ people? I am sure it would sell to retro gamers and gamers who just think it's interesting. But if it were succesful, then it might grab other people's attention. There's even the possibility that it could be hugely popular, simply because it and its games would have a 'cool factor' based on being so strange in the modern era.

If I was saying bring back the Atari 2600 and try to make it "cool & exciting", I could understand why people would say it's not possible. But 16-bit tech can deliver fun games that have nice graphics & sound. Because I believe that games like Super Mario World are still relevant, to the point where kids today would enjoy them, I think there's a magic about 16-bit that makes it stand out as "cool" and "fun", so if a company did embrace this idea, I think it could work well.

I know that most retro gamers would jump at the chance to own the console and the games I listed. Even if only half of them turned out to be good, at least we'd have brand new, truly 16-bit games.

Originally posted by endo View Post
                    I agree. If the retro scene consisted of millions of people, prices would be a lot worse than what they already are.
                    I said that it's millions of people, but I don't think many are obsessive types who will pay crazy prices for games. Only a true enthusiast would be willing to pay ?150 for Demon's Quest.

But that doesn't mean there are only thousands of retro gamers. No, I think millions of people are interested in retro or retro-inspired games. So if those people saw a new retro 16-bit console from Nintendo with some enticing games, I think they'd take notice and probably want to buy it. Then enthusiasm would build and the console could end up changing a common belief: that modern gaming has to be all about power and flashy graphics.

Colin, it's all about giving developers strict limitations, so they have a chance of delivering 16-bit magic. When they have relatively unlimited power for retro-inspired games, the results just don't feel authentic.

And I also think that lots of modern indie games that are inspired by retro games, are either poor or simply bland. A lot of retro-inspired indie games would be seen as rubbish back in the day. People just get excited about anything with a retro flavour on modern machines. And that hunger for retro experiences is why I think the Super Famicom Turbo could strike a chord and be popular. I'd love a supercharged 16-bit machine, because the games would look, sound and feel authentic. But if top publishers didn't get on board, it wouldn't work.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-03-2016, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      I said that it's millions of people, but I don't think many are obsessive types who will pay crazy prices for games. Only a true enthusiast would be willing to pay ?150 for Demon's Quest.

But that doesn't mean there are only thousands of retro gamers. No, I think millions of people are interested in retro or retro-inspired games. So if those people saw a new retro 16-bit console from Nintendo with some enticing games, I think they'd take notice and probably want to buy it.
                      I agree with you that you don't have to be "obsessive" to be into retro, but I still think millions is a major overestimate. If you're into retro, you presumably buy retro gear, which is going to cost you a few quid regardless. No, that doesn't make you obsessive and you don't have to be a hardcore collector, but there is a basic cost of entry to retro and it's often not cheap.

I suppose you could argue what being "into" retro actually means, but for me, it means buying and playing old games (though not necessarily spending loads of money or fanatically collecting). Millions of people aren't buying retro hardware and games, so I don't see how there are "millions of people [who] are interested in retro or retro-inspired games" if they're not buying and playing retro. In what meaningful way are they interested in retro? Moreover, how do you even know? I'm not aware of any vaguely reliable stats on the size of the retro market or scene, so what is your assertion based on?

Besides all of that, isn't it likely that if there really were a potentially large market for such a system, some bright spark would have done it, or something similar, by now?

I really like the idea of a machine like this and if one ever appeared (which it won't- I mean, come on) I'd definitely buy it. It's highly likely, however, that it would only sell modest numbers and would have no mass-market appeal.
                      Last edited by endo; 02-03-2016, 13:52.

Comment

I'm not aware of any vaguely reliable stats on the size of the retro market or scene, so what is your assertion based on?
                        A number of factors:

1. The retro scene being global and popular across the net, especially at places like YouTube.

2. The abundance of retro compilations over the past 10 years.

3. The fact that Nintendo made the 'Virtual Console' for the Wii and still supports it today. And other services such as LiveArcade & PSN have been pushing retro games for a long time now.

4. The vibrant, popular indie scene based on giving people 'retro-esque' games.

5. The rise and rise in the cost of retro hardware & software. Of course, something like Fifa 1999 on the PS1 is still worth nothing, but in general retro games are worth more than they did 5, 10, 15 years ago. And I'm sure it's not just enthusiasts buying all the Super Nintendos & Mega Drives for ?40+.

6. Some of the most talked about and enjoyed 3DS games are 3D versions of classics such as Out Run & Space Harrier. There's an insatiable appetite for retro, even on a very mainstream machine like the 3DS.

So, put that all together, and it's clear that lots of people have an interest in retro, be it downloading old games, buying them, or just playing retro-inspired titles such as Shovel Knight.

I really do think that the retro scene is becoming more and more mainstream, so maybe a company like Nintendo could deliver some sort of retro, or retro-inspired system to tap into that market and enthuse people.

My idea of a 'turbocharged 16-bit console' is based on my fondness for 16-bit gaming. I just love the way the best 16-bit games look & sound. And I'm not fond of the way retro-inspired games look & feel on modern HD machines.

I really like the idea of a machine like this and if one ever appeared (which it won't- I mean, come on) I'd definitely buy it. It's highly likely, however, that it would only sell modest numbers and would have no mass-market appeal.
                        I know it's an idea that most people would laugh at, but I have such a passion for 16-bit tech, that I really do wish we could get something like the Super Famicom Turbo from Nintendo and games like Super Mario World 3, Super Metroid 2 and support from third party devs. It could make a lot of people realise that 16-bit gaming has a distinct quality that is still worth embracing.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-03-2016, 00:47.

Comment

Retro gaming is unquestionably large. How many of those actually buy to play rather than out of nostalgia to own on a shelf remains to be seen though.

Comment

I think it's hilarious that Nintendo is being used as the company for the idea in the first place, they don't even support their modern systems properly, never mind a retro one with limited appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              How many of those actually buy to play rather than out of nostalgia to own on a shelf remains to be seen though.
                              I think a lot of people buy retro favourites to put on their shelves, like it's a way to pay homage to the games they loved when they were growing up.

I have got the impression that those sort of collectors don't really feel much desire to play the games more than a few times, maybe because they are so familiar with them.

So, maybe having sequels to their favourite retro games, such as Super Mario World 3, Super Metroid 2, Streets of Rage 4 etc.. would inspire them to commit to playing through games again, because they would have something fresh but also with the retro stylings they enjoy.

I think all the best and most popular retro games have been played soooo much by their fans, that those fans would love proper sequels that stay true to the original look and feel. I know I'd love Super Mario World 3 to look like a Super Nintendo game, rather than a modern shiny HD Mario experience.

Part of the reason I like the idea of a new 16-bit machine, is simply because it would make sure that developers would creat authentic 16-bit experiences, rather than delivering retro-esque HD games that don't really feel 8 or 16-bit. I like my retro games to be 240p, have truly retro effects and colour palettes, and chip music with minimal sound channels.

I think it's hilarious that Nintendo is being used as the company for the idea in the first place, they don't even support their modern systems properly, never mind a retro one with limited appeal.
                              Well.. it would either be an obscure company no one has heard of, Sony or Microsoft. And I'm sure that Sony & MS wouldn't have any interest in the idea at all.

I think it makes sense to envision Nintendo as the company behind such a venture. Just look at what they did with the relatively simple, B&W Game Boy, and then other underpowered handhelds. Nintendo can take simple products and make them really attractive to all sorts of people.

Of course, the Wii & Wii U have tarnished Nintendo's reputation, but I still believe the company can be positive.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-03-2016, 09:38.

Comment

Street Fighter II 2. Greatest thing I've ever heard.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X