Things to do in San Francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do in San Francisco

I'm travelling over to San Francisco in early April for a conference and then working in our US office for a few days afterwards, but I'll have some time free in-between so want to explore the city!

The conference is located near San Francisco International Airport so my free evenings will be around that location and in the weekend I have off, I will be located around Cupertino. I'm thinking I will have to walk across the Golden Gate bridge, visit Alcatraz and then visit the food markets around Pier 39. I've also been told to stay clear of The Mission late at night because of the gangs but I don't know how bad the area really is.

Aside from the big, tourist stuff, I'm always up for visiting the lesser known but sometimes far better places as there's always cool stuff to do in cities than just see the big landmarks. I've been told about the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company along with a few other restaurants, bars and locations to visit but thought I'll ask to see if anyone here has been recently and if they have any recommendations for places to visit?

I guess the only thing to take note of is that evenings out will be in and around San Francisco International Airport during the first week and then Cupertino in the second although I might make 1 big Bus, Train or Taxi trip in the evenings. After that I only have 2-3 days completely free so can then travel further afield.

Many thanks for any advice or tips!

I went to San Francisco 11 years ago, apart from the Golden Gate bridge which you mentioned, I would suggest visiting the pier/harbour front area as thats very nice. Also the old hippie enclave of Haight-Ashbury is quite good to visit and there's a nice park around there also. I was only there for 4 days so didn't get to see that much.

Comment

I would suggest doing a tour bus for San Fran. You'll get to see all the interesting things in one hit and then you can either do something else or re-visit the things that interested you. I did a small bus tour, which was quite personal, or you could always try one of those Segway tours for something a bit different! You can ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and down the crooked road, Lombard Street. They even do a combo Segway and Alcatraz package.

Remember to book in advance for Alcatraz as there's a finite number of spaces per day and you usually can't just rock up and go over.

There are some great places to eat in San Fran such as Scoma's in Sausalito or The Stinking Rose garlic restaurant, but it's just a big city after a few days, especially if you've done a good tour to see the good bits.
      Cupertino is near Santa Cruz (you're not that far) with its ace boardwalk although it's supposed to be full of vampires and muscly saxophonists...

There are a couple of theme parks like Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or California's Great America if that's your bag.

Here are some other unusual San Fran Suggestions, including The Pez Museum and the Museum of Banned toys!
      Discover 213 hidden attractions, cool sights, and unusual things to do in San Francisco from The Wave Organ to Japanese Tea Garden .

If you want to explore San Francisco and visit the city like a local, check out these cool, trendy and unique & fun places to visit

YES88 merupakan situs judi slot online dengan permainan utama Slot88 dan Pragmatic gacor gampang maxwin dengan jackpot terbesar!

Comment

I've never been but I enjoyed this promotional video of the city:

Actually, that shows quite a few iconic sites that, if still there, could be worth a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Remember to book in advance for Alcatraz as there's a finite number of spaces per day and you usually can't just rock up and go over.
          Impressive.

Comment

Thanks! I toyed with "If you're McGoohan over to Alcatraz..." but making a gag about the actor who played the Warden in Escape from Alcatraz was a little tenuous...

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone, some really great suggestions! Now, I've just got to fit all of it in a few days and evenings of free time.

Comment

I'm actually interested in The Museum of Banned Toys now!

Comment

I went to San Francisco...

... I found a heart someone had left.

Comment

Rent out a Mustang or Charger and recreate the Bullitt chase scene.

Comment

I did actually look to see if you can do a city tour in a Mustang, but the best I could find was the Segway one.

Bullitt would've been a very different movie if the chase around San Francisco was on Segways!

Comment

I did actually look to see if you can do a city tour in a Mustang, but the best I could find was the Segway one.

Bullitt would've been a very different movie if the chase around San Francisco was on Segways!
                        Runitt

Comment

I would so be up for driving a Mustang around San Francisco and live out my Driver fantasies!

Not so sure about the Segway though.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Runitt

I am planning on taking my running gear with me so I might try a running route around part of the city, if I can trace the Bullitt chase then all the better!

Comment

I drove around San fran in a mustang last year. Very cool driving over the golden gate and down Lombard Street! Definitely go to Muir Woods and Alcatraz. The Walt Disney Family Museum is good if you have any interest in that sort of thing. It is a special city.

Comment

Working...
                              X