The Walking Dead Michonne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Walking Dead Michonne

I played through the first chapter of this three-chapter Telltale miniseries. It is short, as they often are. So how is it? It's okay. The setting is great, the general atmosphere is pretty good overall, with some excellent zombie moment early on in the chapter. A little more action keeps the zombies as a genuine threat... for a while.

Very soon, it descends into talky stuff and very familiar talky stuff at that. It feels like I played this in season 2 and it didn't feel like it was even trying to bring anything new here. The setup was too familiar.

Michonne herself was also a bit of a problem for me. The one thing about these games is that they have been able to tell their own stories and, in doing that, define their own characters and sometimes those characters feel different depending on how you play them. But Michonne is a well established character and, in a lovely opening sequence, they tie it directly to the comics. But this doesn't quite feel like the Michonne I know from the comics. She doesn't feel right and, because of who she is, that's a problem. Any flexibility in how we play her takes her further away from a character we know very well.

Presentation is generally nice but has the usual Telltale issues, some wooden animation and background elements popping in and out every now and again. But it works.

I'm interested to see where it goes from here but it feels like Telltale are struggling to capture the magic of season 1.

I just played Season One and Two on the Vita and whilst Telltale deserve 9 or 10/10 for art direction and storytelling, their tech. is really clunky; almost derails the whole shebang.

Comment

Also, I agree that they should have kept away from comic and TV staple characters; so Hershel and Glenn appear in Season 1 but they're fleeting appearances and don't have much time to clash with anyone's expectations.

Comment

Yep, Glenn and Hershel worked for that reason. Michonne as a main character is a lot trickier. I haven't played them on Vita but I had been warned away from them due to the technical issues.

Comment

Working...
        X