No announcement yet.

Retro PC Games Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Runner would be a recommendation from me too, really interesting game.

Not sure how easy it is to get up and running on modern machines. I'm sure there's some faff.

Comment

Gabriel Knight series is well worth participating in, 1 and 3 definitely, 2 not so much although it certainly is a product of its era. The talkie versions of Lucasarts games are also a lot of fun.

Comment

I just saw that Supreme Commander 2 is coming to Games with Gold and it reminded me of the daddy of them all, Command & Conquer, so I echo Kongster's suggestion.

Yeah, Deus Ex is very good and you can play it various ways including stealth.
        You have to steal some plans from a heavily guarded base. I activated my running and cloaking boosts and ran in and out undetected. There's a witness at the top of a double Portakabin with soldiers out the front. I used my strength implants to move a bunch of crates and climb in through the open window at the top. Great game!

If you've never played it, Half-Life is a brilliantly crafted game, even if FPS games aren't your thing.

I wanted to replay some of the games I had on my Win 95/98 PC, so I've set up a GoG and Steam account so I can play the like of Roller Coaster Tycoon, Kingpin, SHOGO, Screamer and Jedi Knight. I've discovered the little Asus Transformer tablet I have is able to play them and had a brilliant journey to Minehead building some theme parks!

Comment

I tried installing Blade Runner on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC.
          I didn't work, showed an error message saying incompatibility with a 64 bit OS.
          I look into it a bit more and see if there's a way round it.

Comment

Originally posted by HC_O View Post
            I didn't work, showed an error message saying incompatibility with a 64 bit OS.
            I look into it a bit more and see if there's a way round it.
            Try this: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...unnerSetup.exe

Or http://www.replaying.de/blade-runner...vista-7-8-x64/

Comment

Awesome, will have to try that at some point once I acquire the game.

Also I never played Dune, should give that a go at some stage. I remember as a C64 owner looking longingly at the Amiga version screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                It didn't work, showed an error message saying incompatibility with a 64 bit OS.
                I'll look into it a bit more and see if there's a way round it.
                Try this: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...unnerSetup.exe

Or http://www.replaying.de/blade-runner...vista-7-8-x64/
                I downloaded the file from your first link and looks like it worked, thanks!

Comment

For a traditional point 'n' click Western RPG, you can't go far wrong with Lands o' Lore. Can run via ScummVM so no farting around with DOSBox.

Wing Commander is truly epic.

Frontier: Elite 2 is scarily compelling.

Oh, and Cryo's Dune is the bollocks. Not too long either - I remember finishing it on my Amiga in about two days of solid gaming BITD. Oh how atmospheric and immersive it was - I recall feeling like I really was Paul Atreides and that my times spent on Dune battling Harkonnens were real memories. Love it when games can hook you like that.

Comment

I wasn't even aware of the existence of that Dune game you have been talking about. It looks really interesting.

Comment

Is this site safe to download from?

The Chaos Engine - The Chaos Engine, also known as Soldiers of Fortune, is a riveting action shooter game from 1994, renowned for its top-down perspective gameplay. This game invites players into a world of intense action and strategic play, offering a selection of six main characters to choose from. Each character is distinct, boasting unique attributes and combat experiences, allowing players to select a character that best fits their playstyle. Set across a sprawling game world, The Chaos Engine challenges players to navigate through 16 intricate levels, which are cleverly divided into four parts each. This structure ensures that players encounter a variety of environments and obstacles, keeping the gameplay fresh and engaging from start to finish. A standout feature of the game is the in-game economy. As players progress through the levels, they accumulate money, which can be used to purchase a range of upgrades and enhancements. These upgrades include increased speed, additional lives, and other vital enhancements that aid in surviving the game's challenging stages. The ability to upgrade characters adds a strategic layer to The Chaos Engine, as players must decide the best way to allocate their resources for optimal progress. The game combines fast-paced shooting action with strategic planning, offering an experience that is both thrilling and thought-provoking. With its unique characters, diverse levels, and upgrade system, The Chaos Engine stands out as a significant title in the action shooter genre. It appeals to both fans of fast-paced shooting games and players who enjoy strategic planning and character progression.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Is this site safe to download from?

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-...aos-engine.php
                        Yeah it's fine. Abandonia is good as well.

I loved Sim City on the SNES, so I've always wanted to check the PC games as I felt they'd be deeper and superior.
                        SNES Sim City and PC Sim City 2000 are tied for my favourite games in the series. The SNES one has so much charm while the PC version has just the right amount of depth for me.

Comment

I enjoy Lords of the Realm 2. It's basic but it does a good job of combining turn-based and real-time strategy.

Cheap as chips on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Cryo's Dune is the bollocks. Not too long either - I remember finishing it on my Amiga in about two days of solid gaming BITD. Oh how atmospheric and immersive it was - I recall feeling like I really was Paul Atreides and that my times spent on Dune battling Harkonnens were real memories. Love it when games can hook you like that.
                            Agreed! I've never been able to finish it, though

Comment

Some of my old PC games that I got as still at are. .

BLOOD I I
                              Kingping
                              Draclua Unleashed
                              X Wing Vs Tie Fighter
                              Dark Forces 2
                              Geoff F1 GP 4
                              Black & white
                              Hexxen 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                                Yeah it's fine. Abandonia is good as well.
                                Thanks, [MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION].

Steam and GoG have The Chaos Engine for $9.99/?6.99, but on Best Old Games it's free. It got my Chimp-sense tingling.

Comment

Working...
                                X