Your favourite YM2162 soundchip sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite YM2162 soundchip sounds?

This gulping, smooth, and sometimes aggressive sounding synth chip was found in Sega Megadrive, FM Towns and a range of Sega arcade games. It was basically Yamaha's FM synthesis chip that was used in their keyboard DX synth range.

It had a very distinct sound. From the bass and brass sounds to the tingly bells (Strider snowy stage) and aggressive almost metallic sound effects heard all over the Megadrive. But that same aggressiveness could be found in attempted synthesizer guitar sounds.

Yes. The chip inside Nintendo's SFC was also sweet, and in a lot of ways better at making sound that the Megadrive may have struggled with, but I think those limitations are partly why I have fonder memories of Megadrive music. Or was it the composers?

What were you fave pieces of Megadrive music or sound fx? Or do you share the same rose tinted opinion as me about the sound chip?

I think this is needed here:

Comment

Vermillion or Sword of Vermillion has some of my fave MD music

Comment

Whilst amazing, Yuzo clearly half inched a lot of early nineties electronic music in his pieces from Pump up the jam to Enigma (the beat heard in the above video). He used a lot of PCM sample sounds in there. Still a great composer (Actraiser!). Oops a SFC tune!

Comment

Super Monaco GP also springs to mind!
          Last edited by roachie; 13-02-2016, 20:27.

Comment

It's a sound chip that can sound terrible in the wrong hands, but some musicians did great things with it. I could pick a tune from a well-known Mega Drive game, but have a soft spot for the music in Crying/Bio-Hazard Battle.

The title theme really delivers a range of sounds & tones that show off the gritty & haunting sound the chip can produce.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-02-2016, 21:25.

Comment

FM Synthesis is also responsible for the sound of Skrillex throaty style dubstep. Which initially I found bizarre as I had always associated FM Synthesis with the 80s bell type sounds from the Yamaha DX7.
              Last edited by HC_O; 13-02-2016, 21:58.

Comment

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Devil Crash MD also!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I think this is needed here:
                      Surely that doesn't qualify as it is not just the YM2162 at work but also the PSG SN76496 chip?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Surely that doesn't qualify as it is not just the YM2162 at work but also the PSG SN76496 chip?
                        I am entirely unaware of the difference, sorry.

Comment

You are forgiven, Asura The Megadrive's YM6162 chip had 6 channel FM synth sounds. However one of them could be swapped out for PCM playback, which basically a method used to digitise analogue sound, sampled speech or instruments etc. You tend to find sampled drums and quick vocal hits being played here.

Comment

Not only that but the Megadrive also has integrated SMS hardware for backwards compatibility, and as it happens the Master System's PSG sound chip is an available resource to Megadrive software.

That high-pitched, rather haunting melody on the SoR2 intro music? That's the PSG chip. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like it is being used in that Biohazard Battle video too.

Comment

Must...stop...the....want....feels...to...get....a ....Megadrive again. Oh that maroon. That blue reset button... Arrggh

Comment

Working...
                              X