Firewatch review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewatch review

So, having been reminded at the last minute that this was available to play today it ended being what I sat down to give a go of having previously planned to try pushing into Just Cause 3.

Previous to its release I'd heard several things about the type of game it would be but for the end result there is only one answer: Walking Simulator.

You begin the game with some incredibly small gameplay snippets in between text screens which chart the 15 or so years leading up to the games start. You get some limited control over the options but broadly you play Henry, a man who meets the love of his life but finds that life too hard to cope with when she develops Alzheimer's at the age of 41. Unable to cope circumstances lead him to take up a Firewatch post in Boulder, Colorado where he mans one of the watch towers whilst befriending Delilha, an occupier of a neighbouring tower. However, as the summer heat rolls in there appears to be more going on in the surrounding canyons than Henry first assumes there to be.

The game is pretty much a pure follow the story experience, always engaging in the way it's delivered but never more than moving from A-B through the area which is best described as a hub space. The story itself is a predictable one but its handled well with much of it relying on the two main voice actors who sell their characters well. The games visual style is pretty at times but less striking than the pics and trailers suggested it would be. The pastel shades look nice but are part of a somewhat cartoonish chunky art style that applies to character portraits and Henry as well which don't sync quite as well in tone with the story that's being told.

An awful lot of the game will depend on what type of gamer you are and what you get from games of this type. I definitely enjoyed the experience but a key aspect for consideration is that I completed it in one sitting to 100%. The clock on my Steam account lists the playtime as 3hrs so you're getting a short experience.
    1 - Some Men Just Like to Watch the World Burn
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Backdraft
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - This Game is on Fi-re!
    0%

So is it fairly similar to Everybodys Gone to the Rapture?

Are you playing the PS4 or PC version as i have read mixed reviews with some mentioning that the PS4 version has a number of performance issues?

Comment

I thought this was going to be a review of an Amazon smartwatch!

Comment

This is another that's getting masturbated all over on the internet.

Comment

I was on the PC version which seemed to run fine. Having had the night to digest the experience I'd have to say that whilst it's decent there are issues with the plot, like the more time passes since playing it the more it sinks in that it isn't anything more than simply 'good'. Everybody's Gone the Rapture is broadly similar, though this is less about real mystery and more about it trying to get an emotional hook in which it doesn't quite achieve. If you get it for the right price it's probably a decent 7/10 experience.

Comment

I got this off the Canadian PS store last night for ?9.95.Will get to try it tonight but have seen a couple of YouTube vids showing problems with the PS4.No doubt I'll find out later

Comment

Put in 2 hours last night. I hate to make things technical, but I have to say it:

1.) It crashed my PS4 twice. One of the times I had to pull the power out. It was right at the start and I went into settings:-> Master Volume.
              2.) The FPS are all over the place! Seriously it's juddering and smooth and Juddering...
              3.) It has loading/saving pauses like a Half Life from 1993...
              4.) The controls are all over the place due to the FPS

With all that said.... It's a text adventure with a wonderful world to explore. I love the story and and really enjoying it, but the technical issues are so bad that I wonder if I should wait for a Patch.

Comment

Disappointed to hear of the crashing and framerate problems. I bought this last night to play at the weekend. 3 hours sounds about right for this type of game, although I wouldn't have minded if it stretched to 5 hours.

My first walking sim was Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (I don't own a PC, you see) and I loved playing it over the course of a Sunday afternoon. Hoping this provides the same enjoyment at least.

Comment

Despite the tech issues I am enjoying it, I also loved EGTR which I completed, but this game is different as you do get more interaction and tasks to do. It's good fun! I'm hooked on the story too.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    This is another that's getting masturbated all over on the internet.
                    I'm pretty sure there are better things to masturbate over on the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                      Put in 2 hours last night. I hate to make things technical, but I have to say it:

1.) It crashed my PS4 twice. One of the times I had to pull the power out. It was right at the start and I went into settings:-> Master Volume.
                      2.) The FPS are all over the place! Seriously it's juddering and smooth and Juddering...
                      3.) It has loading/saving pauses like a Half Life from 1993...
                      4.) The controls are all over the place due to the FPS

With all that said.... It's a text adventure with a wonderful world to explore. I love the story and and really enjoying it, but the technical issues are so bad that I wonder if I should wait for a Patch.
                      Dissapointing to hear it's got technical issue, but not on PC. Optimisation please guys before you want people's money :/.

I bought this last night on ps4 to play at weekend, think I'll wait until it's fixed now before downloading. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I'm pretty sure there are better things to masturbate over on the internet...
                        Try telling the games 'journalists' that.

Comment

Technical issues aside, of which there are many.
                          It's has a really nice game atmosphere, soundtrack is great, story and dialogue are really holding my attention.
                          I've only encountered frame rate dips personally, no crashes as of yet.

Decided before I started I was going to turn off waypoint/destination markers and hints so I'm just using the compass and map to get around, so it's taking a little bit longer to navigate.m

As for waiting for a patch, I'm not holding my breath this will be fixed anytime soon and since the game is around 3-5 hours long, hardly worth waiting for a patch that may never appear.

Comment

Useful variety of first impressions here. I don't mind a walking simulator from time to time but think I'll pass on this. Dear Esther still the best walking sim evorz.

Comment

yay, another celebrated walking simulator with the usual poor performance as expected from indie developers.

Comment

Working...
                              X