RIP Dave MIrra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Dave MIrra

Found dead, suspected suicide at the age of 41. An utter legend in the BMX World and I suspect many of us here remember the Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX games. What a shame :-(

Wow, that's a kick in the teeth. The guy was amazing in his own way.

Comment

Such sad news. He was a pioneer fo his time, hugely talented & so well disciplined outside of bmx. He apparently shot himself & as suffering with mental issues.

RIP to another Legend. So tragic.

Comment

Have just read this on BBC!
        This man was a true genius on a bike. Double backflip anyone??
        Shot himself apparently.

Comment

Great game on the GC etc. too. I played it a couple of months ago. Such a shame Goes to show that it doesn't matter how successful you are, unless you spend time working on yourself, you don't really have "wealth".

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Goes to show that it doesn't matter how successful you are, unless you spend time working on yourself, you don't really have "wealth".
            Please explain how this is related to Mirra?

Comment

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
              Please explain how this is related to Mirra?
              I think what he means is that celebrity suicides, unless they're motivated via very specific reasons, are an opportunity for us to remind ourselves that being well-known and wealthy does not necessarily translate to you being happy - and that mental illness is not always visible.

After all, whenever a celebrity kills themselves the first two things you oftean hear are...

1) ... but they had so much going for themselves
              2) ... they never seemed "sad"

People forget that being depressed and being sad are not the same things.

That beind said, I'm not sure how this applies to Mirra. Just because he gave his name to a short-lived series of videogames in the 90s/early 2000s, I have no idea if that transfers to him being successful in 2016.

Comment

Yeah pretty much what Asura said. We all have our idols, who have got to the absolute top of their game, but at what cost (time and sacrifice)? And what's happened since then that has lead to him being so depressed that he felt the need to end it, regardless of the impact it might have on his family.

Comment

Grew up watching this guy constantly pushing the boundaries of what you could do in competition. When I was young I always thought he was a bit boring because he almost never bailed in a run that mattered, but as I grew up I realised just how good he was. Damn shame.

Comment

This really sucks. Assuming he and his wife broke up otherwise I don't see what could have got him to this point?

Comment

Yeah pretty much what Asura said. We all have our idols, who have got to the absolute top of their game, but at what cost (time and sacrifice)? And what's happened since then that has lead to him being so depressed that he felt the need to end it, regardless of the impact it might have on his family.
                      How about the possibility of head trauma due to the slams he took over the yrs? It has been mentioned, & is a high possibility. I feel sad for his family, but I he was brain damaged in some way then they would be the last thing on his mind. Plus it takes a lot of balls to kill yourself. To get to that level of despair/mania despite having loved ones & still taking your life must have meant he was in a very bad place in his head

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

Yeah.

That tailwhip flair was just pure poetry! ��

Comment

There's still no real word why he did this. Even his family and close friends seem baffled - he had everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X