No announcement yet.

The Witness review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portal logic, you are given tools: Idea's, concepts, rules. Then they don't work. Without using spoilers, the world becomes much more than a pretty side issue, it becomes part of the very core of the puzzles.

It doesn't surprise me that Mr Blow used 6 years on this. It's mental, and I don't think you are supposed to figure it out straight away like a normal game. You are supposed to get stuck, use a few hours to think about it, maybe even take a few days break and then come back to it.

I got stuck earlier on and resorted to cheating online, it felt so stupid afterwards, so I won't do that again. Either I work it out, or I'll give up. I won't spoil it.

Comment

Cool cheers guys. I've got a few games to go through at the moment and my girlfriend is currently going through Tearaway ps4. She loves puzzles so I feel this will be perfect for us to go through together as there's no enemies, shooting or general violence.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        Cool cheers guys. I've got a few games to go through at the moment and my girlfriend is currently going through Tearaway ps4. She loves puzzles so I feel this will be perfect for us to go through together as there's no enemies, shooting or general violence.
        This is the perfect game to play with friends, but it's hard to hand the controller over

CS: Let me try
        Daughter: Just one more idea
        CS: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Let me!
        Daughter: One last try....

But that might just be us.

Comment

Only a little way in but yes, the joy of sussing a puzzle you've been chewing over is very short lived. Something even more taxing is waiting just around the corner. And so it goes on. But it's fun. And it's beautiful. One of the best looking games I've ever seen. The vibe reminds me of Ecstatica, vibrant and foreboding at the same time.

It feels genuinely lonely and isolated too. I triggered a film in a room last night and it felt good just to see another human face.

Of course it's going to keep getting tougher, and I have to question my own staying power. I think it's a game I will keep coming back to. As others have said; using a guide would be a sure fire way to kill the experience.

Comment

Finished this with 399+15, though that's just seeing an ending rather than actually finishing it. Lots of stuff left to do! Unfortunately some it is that perspective stuff that I don't like much. Still plenty of fun stuff too, hopefully.

I would totally buy an app of panel puzzles from The Witness if someone made it.

FIND SINGLES IN YOUR AREA. CLICK HERE.

Comment

At 100 panels and one laser activated. Started playing with a pad and pen by my side now Currently scratching my head in the chambers beneath the desert/sunlight place. Brilliant game.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                Finished this with 399+15, though that's just seeing an ending rather than actually finishing it. Lots of stuff left to do! Unfortunately some it is that perspective stuff that I don't like much. Still plenty of fun stuff too, hopefully.

I would totally buy an app of panel puzzles from The Witness if someone made it.

FIND SINGLES IN YOUR AREA. CLICK HERE.
                Alcazar Puzzle by Jerome Morin-Drouin

Comment

I am up to 391 panels solved +69, +1.

I have just unlocked the end game section

opened up the mountain, not happy about what's inside, my brain really is starting to melt.

Had look up some solutions for the sound pitch puzzles they weren't good for me, got a bit annoyed that the puzzles weren't all just visual and they had to throw some audio ones in there which meant I was going to have issues, which I did for several hours.

Mr Blow has made some audio and colour visual puzzles, basically meaning if your colourblind your screwed and If you are deaf your also screwed. Just a shame for some users as those puzzles don't make themselves know straight away.

I'm still having a couple of hours on it a day, looking for the + puzzles at the moment, not doing so bad as I now have +1 added at the end, which I wasn't aware happened.

When will it end?!

Comment

Yeah, I review just skipped a bunch of the puzzles in the jungle and looked up the solutions. Don't regret it a bit. I love some of the end-game stuff though, my favourite two sets of puzzles in the entire game are in there, so so good.

Unlocked all the lasers now, not entirely sure where I go now but I guess I'm heading back on up.

Comment

Unlocked 4 lasers and finished about 290 puzzles so far.
                      I needed help with some of the audio puzzles also, I struggled a lot with a couple of them.
                      I still don't know what the '+' puzzles are either which a lot of you are mentioning. I guess it will become clear soon

Comment

Completed a couple of really satisfying puzzles tonight Now I've got a couple of tougher ones making me scratch my head. I'm less bothered about being stumped now though: the solutions to the harder ones quite often come to you when you're not playing, and if they don't there's more island to explore.

Now at 174 + 3

Comment

Loved the two areas I just cleared tonight

greenhouse and swamp

. Loads of fun.

I think when I first started the game I wandered straight into a really tough area, and wondered if the whole game might be too mind bending to enjoy. But it's okay to walk away from stuff and find new areas and different types of puzzle. You slowly begin to get a feel for the game as a whole this way too.

Now at 275 + 5 and enjoying it loads.

Comment

I've "finished" The Witness review now, I still have a bunch of plus stuff to do but I don't really see the point, it's not especially fun hunting around and I'm not sure it does anything. I've got probably ten panels left to find as well but that's not gonna happen.

The very very end game stuff is so good. Really hard puzzles and then something else. Properly brilliant.

Comment

Played about 4 hours. Not impressed really. The puzzles don't feel particularly clever, just annoying to complete. Glad others like it but I'm not getting any satisfaction from it. Shame it was digital only otherwise I could have sold it on. A waste of ?30.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                Played about 4 hours. Not impressed really. The puzzles don't feel particularly clever, just annoying to complete. Glad others like it but I'm not getting any satisfaction from it. Shame it was digital only otherwise I could have sold it on. A waste of ?30.
                                It's the possibility I won't enjoy the game coupled with the high price that's keeping me from buying it. From what I've seen, I think I'd enjoy it, but at ?30 I'm unwilling to take the plunge. And I'm sure there are plenty others in the same boat.

How much does it cost to print a game to disc and get it to a store? I wonder if the game would have made more money that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X