The Tomorrow Children - Beta - PS4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tomorrow Children - Beta - PS4 review

So I got to spend 3 hours on this yesterday, of which I saw doodledude chipping away and waved in recognition of the hard work. Doing it for your nation.

Game starts you off with a very vague tutorial of the very basics of basics. An experiment has gone wrong and destroyed the world, it's upto you to rebuild by contributing to this new society. You populate a place called The Void, which kinda looks and sounds like it's a simulation.

The main thing the tutorial explains is you are required to contribute by mining, populating and defending your territory.

The art style is incredibly unique, gameplay I would go as far as to say it's like a soviet animal crossing with attack/defense mechanics. Levelling up your character and working towards a combined goal with other people.

You can place a house in a region at the start. You go out on train to other villages/regions or you go out on a bus to mine for resources. Your village comes under attack at night by massive Goliath beasts but you need to work to buy defenses. Obviously in typical resources management style you need farm and create stuff but where this is different is you all work together to collectively gather materials so you can build defenses, shops and other things to help your town/city prosper. You do this without coms, all you have are emotes which are positive and negative and then fun ones like dancing which you can purchase.

I don't know if it's just the beta but it's not very hand holding, it just throws you in and expects you to toe the line and contribute. Started in a deserted town, built my house and at end of hour 3 when the beta closed we had 7 people of 10 living there. Solidly worked away for 3 hours and actually enjoyed it very much.

Will post some pictures from the beta which I took but It's now a day one title for me.
    Last edited by Family Fry; 23-01-2016, 10:52.

Hey there fellow comrade! I joined your town although couldn't build a house as there wasn't any room, although I did use your house to change my dress in privacy!

I would say Dylan Cuthbert has definitely been influenced by The Prisoner as this game has that vibe throughout.

I played the Alpha version a few months ago and the beta seems buggier than that which I assume is down to more people buggering up the servers.

Still love the look and will get the final game for sure as I love all of Q games/Pixeljunk output.

Comment

Working...
    X