No announcement yet.

Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pretty much got all I want now and I much rather spend any leftover money on clothing and going on holidays or on current gaming tbh. Still like to pick up the odd retro game and system though.

But its hard to justify some of the prices people want for retro games or systems, when in some cases they the same as a weekend away

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      Think I could live with it!

Never actually seen one in the flesh; probably never will either, considering how difficult / expensive they are becoming.
      He means I always set it to the wrong aspect ration when I post pics It has a 4:3 mode, but sometimes I stretch it when sitting further back

Comment

Anyone fancy a complete and mint CAVE kit collection for 80K?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
          Is there an easier way of adding photos to posts so that they appear as photos rather than links?

I go though the faff of uploading them from my phone to ibb.co and it then generates the correct bbcode to copy and paste here for various size pics or thumbnails.

I found that way, it worked so I continue to use it, but there’s an easier way right?

Mind you, I’m typing this using Tapatalk (not used it much), and noticed it has a button to insert a photo, so here goes...

Ooh, that uploads the photo to tapatalk-cdn.com and pops the code in. Would still like to be educated for an easier way when using a regular browser though.
          use imgur!

Comment

If most of the folks on here are like me, they're probably on an average salary and saving up for their own home by now.

I've really been behaving recently. If I buy a new game/PCB I usually trade or sell something off. So the collection is never permanent (except my mint US N64 set).

Katana home kit is still being paid off

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
              He means I always set it to the wrong aspect ration when I post pics It has a 4:3 mode, but sometimes I stretch it when sitting further back
              Oh, I know what he meant!

Comment

Anyone fancy a complete and mint CAVE kit collection for 80K?
                Can I buy 2? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  Oh, I know what he meant!
                  My bad! Are they still 1K and climbing?

Comment

My bad! Are they still 1K and climbing?
                    Probably - never actually seen one locally, and I doubt anyone would ship it. Not that I have a spare £1k available anyway.....lol

Comment

I think pixel perfect emulators, Everdrives, Nintendo’s Mini line and age is to blame.

I own both the GB and the GBA Everdrives myself but I could not imagine owning them if I also didn’t own CIB copies of every single game I have on them. It’s just super conventient to be able to reset back to menu by pressing the cart (GB Everdrive) to play different games and also just a GBA/DS Lite restart away from a list of ~45 GBA games. It also helps on the condition of the game boxes and it enables me to (from a price standpoint) collect CIB Japanese versions who are by default much cheaper and are almost always in much better condition. Obviously play the English versions from the Everdrives.

Who cares if the consequence is dust gathering on the shelf. I dust them off on a weekly basis
                      Last edited by Nico87; 30-06-2018, 20:45.

Comment

Until recently (the last 3 years) I wasn’t bothered with a games collection after I sold all my games off back in 2003’ish. I wouldn’t say I’m a collector but now I am more focused on what system I want to collect for and I don’t get too crazy with the buying. Aside from collecting PC Engine games I’m fine with a flashcart/burning disks for other stuff. Saying that, there is something special about having a shelf of originals and picking one out, even if it defies rational thinking when it’s way cheaper using a flashcart and plays exactly the same, but ya know... nostalgia n’ all that.

I draw the line at using an LCD for retro stuff, though. Even with an OSSC/XRGB I don’t think it’s a good CRT replacement, it doesn’t feel the same at all, but that’s just my personal opinion. Anyway, with a wood saw you a few screws you can make a CRT fit into a modern TV centre in the livingroom without being too intrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                          If most of the folks on here are like me, they're probably on an average salary and saving up for their own home by now.

I've really been behaving recently. If I buy a new game/PCB I usually trade or sell something off. So the collection is never permanent (except my mint US N64 set).

Katana home kit is still being paid off
                          True enough, certainly for me at least. On this tangent I know a chap from UKVac forums who told me selling his boxed SNES collection helped with most of the deposit for his house Living in Surrey, I'd probably need an AES collection
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I've not been buying (or playing) retro lately, but that's not to say that the same fire won't light up under me at some point in the future. I've always been quite prone to getting caught up in a single system and splurging on it in a big way; a few years back I grabbed a whole bunch of SFC stuff, and before that it was putting together a nice selection of GC bits. I don't I'd ever be brave enough to say I've got everything I want covered, but the list of systems I'm missing is quite slim, and nothing I'm missing is bothering me that much right now - aside from the odd couple of games that I keep threatening to grab.

Price certainly doesn't help either. As with probably everyone here, there are regrets about sales made and opportunities missed, and now most everything carries a raised price tag. Folks of my generation grew up coveting all of this gear and now we're grown up and earning well enough to pick things up that all of a sudden the market becomes very competitive.

Emulation / SD solutions don't excite me that much; if anything I think I'm more likely to go off the deep end and expand the PCB collection, but that's a very deep rabbit hole to go down considering the space and spend implications.

Comment

Share your thoughts on emulation / sd solutions. For consoles I'm less interested in sure, but for the consoles I own there's just something that keeps me going with the genuine article. CRT an all

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                                Until recently (the last 3 years) I wasn’t bothered with a games collection after I sold all my games off back in 2003’ish. I wouldn’t say I’m a collector but now I am more focused on what system I want to collect for and I don’t get too crazy with the buying. Aside from collecting PC Engine games I’m fine with a flashcart/burning disks for other stuff. Saying that, there is something special about having a shelf of originals and picking one out, even if it defies rational thinking when it’s way cheaper using a flashcart and plays exactly the same, but ya know... nostalgia n’ all that.

I draw the line at using an LCD for retro stuff, though. Even with an OSSC/XRGB I don’t think it’s a good CRT replacement, it doesn’t feel the same at all, but that’s just my personal opinion. Anyway, with a wood saw you a few screws you can make a CRT fit into a modern TV centre in the livingroom without being too intrusive.

This is my issue with collecting, there is no good way to play on modern tv's and i don't have room for a setup like this either. The days of a dedicated games room are long gone so Last year i pulled out and plugged a n64 into a modern tv. it was unplayable at first i then ran it via a hdmi scaller and it made it a lot more playable. It was at that point that retro gaming died a bit for me, i Don't have a good way to hook up and play stuff with my current set up and it seems the optimal way to play on modern tv's seems to be via hdmi on a retropie set up or one of these mini Nes or SNes consoles.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 02-07-2018, 14:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X