Just cause 3 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just cause 3 review

This came today so quick first impressions.
    Looks pretty good, a few jitters when you use zoom on rico.
    Massive looking map with lots to do, I'm sure it'll be a bit samey after a while like the first two games but hopefully a lot of fun like them as well.
    Only done a couple of introduction missions so far but played them with a smile on my face.
    Grappling hook, wing suit, explosions! That's just the first missions.

Now for the bad news.
    Seems like square Enix have their own servers for this but I keep getting disconnected, it then gives you the option of playing offline mode which would be OK except every time you open the map or finish missions you have to reconnect back to their servers!
    This may become a real issue as the game takes around 40 seconds to reconnect and within a minute I'm disconnected again waiting for another 40 seconds!
    I'm hoping this is a temporary qlitch and sorted quickly.

I'm really looking forward to playing this more as it's great to play a fun game again.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

The game isn't out until Tuesday, so they may have not actually switched on the servers yet.

Maybe if you try setting the console to OFFLINE then it will solve the issue

Comment

Seriously, why the hell does this game require a connection to Square Enix servers?

Is it because it wants to showcase a bizarre social scoring mechanic where it compares my scores to COMPLETE STRANGERS constantly?

"Someone you've never heard of has beaten your score on a named challenge that you can't remember doing."

"Someone else you've never heard of has glided longer than you in a wingsuit."

"Some other random person has beaten your score on another named challenge that you can't remember doing."

Not only is it a constant distraction and especially irritating BECAUSE THESE STRANGERS MEAN NOTHING TO ME, but I'm not playing this game to be competitive. I'm playing this game to dick around in a sandbox the way I want to dick around. Don't bloody try to tempt me into doing challenges to compete with strangers every 60 seconds. Especially as the loading times are so bloody abysmal that it takes well over 30 seconds to restart any challenge on completion or failure. And that's 30 seconds without having to add the time required to attempt reconnection to Square Enix's servers.

Which takes me back to my opening question: why does the game require this connection? I can't see any other reason other than the above-mentioned abhorrently forced social mechanics. But worst of all, is that it doesn't bloody make a difference if I try to enter a supposed "Offline Mode" after being disconnected, because as stevie vip 99 says, it just forces a reconnect WHENEVER YOU OPEN THE MAP. Or WHENEVER YOU COMPLETE A MISSION. Or WHENEVER YOU ATTEMPT A BLOODY CHALLENGE TO BEAT SOME STRANGER YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF.

I don't think it helps that it doesn't seem to be the best game either, but it's hard to tell when it's constantly getting interrupted by disconnects and awful loading times.

Which is one good thing about the server disconnects - it's got me ranting about something other than the worst loading times this gen.

EDIT: Just to also say, I had no problems with the servers yesterday, which was giving the loading times their chance to shine.
      Last edited by MrMarbles; 28-11-2015, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        The game isn't out until Tuesday, so they may have not actually switched on the servers yet.

Maybe if you try setting the console to OFFLINE then it will solve the issue
        Servers are on unfortunately

Comment

Sorry I meant to say fully On, the game has been street broken in the US too, so the servers may be oversubscribed

Comment

Sounds like I'll probably skip this. The 2nd game was almost perfect in my eyes.

Comment

Anything on the load times between deaths on the consoles, reading lot of rumours its over 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                Anything on the load times between deaths on the consoles, reading lot of rumours its over 3 minutes.
                I've been playing on Xbox One - I've had a couple of instances where the loading time has been at around the three minute mark.

Initial load seems to take an age, but most of the loading seems to be between 40s and a minute for me. The biggest frustration is with the game's challenges - I really want to enjoy them and master them, mostly because getting a good ranking in them makes progress towards unlocking gameplay-enhancing gear, but it takes a good 40+ seconds to retry them; particularly frustrating if you mess up early and try to pause and restart, but also teeth-gnashing if you're trying to figure out the best approach to get a high score. Which is often, as some of the high score challenges leave it tactically open as to how you tackle them.

Comment

quite a variation on the review sites from 6 to 9 out of 10.

Comment

I'm so glad I read this thread. I was just about to order this game however the stupid need to be online is an instant deal breaker and the fact that it has stupidly long loading times is another. I'll just stick with Just Cause 2.

Comment

The load times are massively overstated, I timed the initial load at 1:45 and about 30 seconds if you die

This was on Xbox one

Comment

Running time was 1Hr 44 minutes for me.

[Hide]This was on Blu-Ray

[/Hide]

Comment

Tried it out last night and spent some time tinkering to get it to hold 60fps most of the time.

It literally feels like a remaster of Just Cause 2. Controls fine and the destruction is fun, cars handle terrible still though.

Main issue though is that there seems to be a save file bug with Windows 10 and the game keeps losing connection with Square's servers so you can't really play properly for long. I've decided to uninstall and add to the play pile for later. The little handful of missions I managed to do suggest it will be great fun but for now seems better to leave until the devs sort out the issues.

Comment

Anyone else playing this on Xbox? After some gamertags for the records and stuff.

I'm tickle360

I've got boris but not scores showing?

Comment

I've not played a huge amount of it, so I might not being showing up for it for some things

Comment

Working...
                              X