No announcement yet.

Dreamcast celebration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah you are right. DC is designed for vga and would look great on a handheld

Comment

There are better consoles to make a handheld of though. PS2 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Nah you are right. DC is designed for vga and would look great on a handheld
        That was partly what I was thinking after taking inspiration from some "portable" Dreamcast fan mods. The graphics looked astounding and if they weren't jerry rigging a console into a handheld and actually using the raw signal to drive a panel (esp OLED or suchlike) then it would look so crisp and fresh. Funky fresh even.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        The reason I picked DC is due to its niche, there are loads of excellent titles that weren't available on any other consoles that could have a nice resurrection in this modern age as the gameplay is still great. PS2 doesn't really have that kind of cachet as people who played it (a lot) played it (a lot) and wouldn't really fork out again. That said....

I am surprised that Sony haven't shovel ported its whole catalog across to the Vita as it could run that with ease and really would help the platform thrive as they cerainly seem to be ignoring it.

Yet another reason I'd like to see some CFW on the Vita to see what its capable of in the hands of amateur coders as I think it could become the holy grail of portable emulation.

Comment

The PSP was the handheld PS2. The 3DS is essentially a handheld GameCube. Sadly, there wasn't a handheld Xbox.

When it comes to the idea of a handheld Dreamcast, it would have to run games of an SD card. I think it would sell to enthusiasts, but the general market would have no interest. I doubt it would be worth doing on a business level.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            The PSP was the handheld PS2. The 3DS is essentially a handheld GameCube. Sadly, there wasn't a handheld Xbox.

When it comes to the idea of a handheld Dreamcast, it would have to run games of an SD card. I think it would sell to enthusiasts, but the general market would have no interest. I doubt it would be worth doing on a business level.
            I'm just going to assume you've never held a PlayStation Portable with that statement.

Comment

Loved and still love the dreamcast. Remember getting my jpn model from Steve at 'next-Gen'. Started using s-video, then RGB then finally the beautiful vga output. The games just started looking better and better. Probably the last best arcade gamers console, with some amazing support from sega and capcom. Who could forget namcos soul calibur conversion, the vast array of peripherals available, (i remember firing up the japanese version of HOTD 2 and realising I had an arcade in the home) lol, the get bass rod, Shenmue, the shutokou games - i could go on. I have had wonky lasers, machine resets, blown controller fuses and i still come back for more.

Comment

I'd been out of gaming for a bit. Wife and I had gone to the theatre in Stratford and stayed overnight. Previous visits were a delight but this performance of The Secret Garden was rubbish so we left halfway through. In the morning I was a bit down about it so we wondered around the town and I came across an indie shop and just decided to buy a DC and Soul Calibur there and then. Got me back into gaming from the moment I got it home.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  CEX launch price was ?699, which soon fell to ?400 after Christmas.
                  The TCR store had a couple of units left at one stage and priced them up to eye-watering levels to keep the stock. Later that afternoon we saw a guy leaving the shop with one of them and double-checked inside.

Comment

I remember getting mine off Lee on it's Japan launch with Pen Pen , VF Tb 3 and Godzilla . To see a near perfect port of Model 3 VF in the home was just amazing and had a really amazing Christmas in 1998 playing Sonic Adv too .
                    Really nice console and gave me many a jaw-dropping moments like when one saw the likes of JSR, Code Veronica for the 1st time and it's also a console that gave me my happiest moments on-line with the joy of PSU

For all its good points , can't help but feel it's a overrated console and stuff a Handheld PS2 or DC. I much rather have a Hand Held Saturn and to be able to play it's awesome shooters on the move

Comment

Yup, you'd be able to see the bullets in Garegga no issue on a poxy little screen. Oh wait.

Comment

Yup, you'd be able to see the bullets in Garegga no issue on a poxy little screen. Oh wait.
                        Like yoko DDP on a PSPgo. I nearly went blind.

Comment

About as much people gave a crap about the Saturn as the DC, there's no market for a handheld of either of them.

Comment

I'm just going to assume you've never held a PlayStation Portable with that statement.
                            The PSP is very much a handheld PS2. I own one and have quite a few games for it. Of course, the games are watered down a bit when it comes to finesse, but the best games are close to delivering PS2 quality.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                            I have had wonky lasers, machine resets, blown controller fuses and i still come back for more.
                            A true devotee of the little machine.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            In the morning I was a bit down about it so we wondered around the town and I came across an indie shop and just decided to buy a DC and Soul Calibur there and then. Got me back into gaming from the moment I got it home.
                            I remember seeing Soul Calibur for the first time in late-summer '99 and thinking it was incredible. For some reason I decided to wait for the Pal machine to launch a little while later. I think I bought the machine solely for SC, because it was such a must-have title. Namco were nice enough, like most DC devs, to put a 60hz option.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

I much rather have a Hand Held Saturn and to be able to play it's awesome shooters on the move
                            Yeah, the Saturn has far better shooters. That's one reason why I like the Saturn a bit more, but I have been playing the Dreamcast for 16 years now and won't stop. It's software library is quite thin on great games, but there are enough to keep me coming back. Recent games like Sturmwind have also been enjoyable.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-11-2015, 18:32.

Comment

Aren't you the one that loves to play Garegga on a poxy little 14' screen .

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                The PSP is very much a handheld PS2.
                                Not sure I'd go that far - outputting the PSP onto a external monitor would disprove that considerably.

Personally, I'd say that the PSP is somewhere between PS1 and PS2.

Comment

Working...
                                X