Momentous Racing Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momentous Racing Games

We?re sure there's a few Bordersdown Racing fans out there, and plenty of memorable games.

Pole Position, Outrun, Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, TOCA, Forza, Shutokou Battle, Pure, Driveclub, F-Zero, wipEout, WaveRace, MotoGP, Sega Rally, MarioKart, Daytona and plenty more!

Let's remember the games, and those glorious moments that kept you gripped to the track.
    LADIES & GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES!

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] reminded me of Screamer on the PC earlier today. Quality game.

I'm currently addicted to Dirt Rally - when this comes to consoles, it should be an essential purchase for any self respecting race fan. It's even better than Rallisport Challenge 2 on the Xbox.

I've missed out on the multiplayer games of recent times like Burnout Paradise. I've tried a bit of NFS Rivals but it's a bit repetitive.

On the PC, it was all about GP Legends, GP2 and Ultimate Race Pro

On the N64 it was all about World Driver Championship and Top Gear Rally, with a bit of 1080, Excitebike and Waverace if you are willing to call those racing games.

On the DC, it was F355 and Metropolis Street Racer

On the Xbox it was Project Gotham Racing 2, Forza and RC2. Going back to Forza now shows you how far the handling and sound has come along since then, but the track design was more fun back then.

On the 360 I really enjoyed Jeremy McGrath's Offroad, but the multiplayer died in a couple of weeks Hilarious floaty handling model. Trials HD was digital crack.

Comment

I loved GTI Club in the Arcades, I did pick it up on PS3 but it didn't have the same "feel".

Comment

To me it's all about Outrun 2. The xbox version was a spectacular port but the most amazing version was on the psp.

Virtually arcade perfect in your pocket and all the rest of the play methods and route.

Comment

i regularly play the shutokou battle games (going through 2 on the DC at the moment) and they are brilliant (well 0/1 & 2 are).

i can only image what a ps4/xbox one version would look like, with the graphics engine of the new need for speed game

Comment

Outrun 2 C2C on the OG Xbox Jesus man that was increds. I was still owning the leaderboard in our seafront arcade when that came out I couldnt fathom how good the home version was. Granted nigh on same hardware but still, blown away.

And of course Ridge Racer 7 for the most complete RR experience.

Just remembered ive got Outrun 2 C2C on PC DVD somewhere, gonna get that reinstalled.
            Last edited by Baseley09; 23-11-2015, 15:04.

Comment

RR was my favourite of the series, RRR and Rage had errors on the tracks and from there the drift business made it go downhill.

Gran Turismo Japanese version got a lot of playtime as did Rock n Roll racing on the SNES.
              Last edited by Anpanman; 23-11-2015, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Outrun 2 C2C on the OG Xbox Jesus man that was increds. I was still owning the leaderboard in our seafront arcade when that came out I couldnt fathom how good the home version was. Granted nigh on same hardware but still, blown away.

Just remembered ive got Outrun 2 C2C on PC DVD somewhere, gonna get that reinstalled.
                The pc version doesn't so it for me at all. Yep the graphics are shinier and all that but the feel of the game is off. The Xbox captured it perfectly and the psp does an admirable job but the PC version just felt hollow in comparison.

Also lets throw vanishing point on the DC up in here. I played the challenges in the side more than the actual game as they are so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

yes Ridge 7 is right up there!

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                    The pc version doesn't so it for me at all. Yep the graphics are shinier and all that but the feel of the game is off. The Xbox captured it perfectly and the psp does an admirable job but the PC version just felt hollow in comparison.

I'm not sure about the control being off but I totally agree something doesnt feel as good as the Xbox version about it - the HUD looks dodge in widescreen also from what I recall.

Comment

Never Forget

It was the 16bit era before I was bothered much by racers outside Arcades. On 16bit it was mostly Rock n Roll Racing, Stunt Race FX, Street Racer, Super Mario Kart and Super Off Road

On 32bit the ones that pop immediately to mind are Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, Rage Racer and Need for Speed

On 64bit it was Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mickeys Speedway

On 128bit it was F Zero GX, Rallisport Challenge 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Burnout 3, Outrun 2, Gran Turismo 4 and Daytona USA 2001

Last gen it was Blur, Burnout Paradise, Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza Horizon, Mario Kart 8, Ridge Racer 7 and Motorstorm Pacific Rim

This gen, so far Forza Horizon 2 and based on early impressions Dirt Rally. I need to revisit Drive Club too.

I definitely want more colour and fun in my racers, too much seriousness in most.

Comment

The pure joy of booting up Ridge Racer on my Japanese PSX in December 1994 remains my highlight. I played the game until my fingers hurt!! It was simple, challenging and FUN. The words "you have a new lap record" were (are) a joy to hear.

There have many greats after RR, but it is my number 1.

Comment

A lot of my faces have already been mentioned, but I remember Le Manns 24 on the Dreamcast being a memorable racer. Also, Suoer Monaco Racing on the Mega Drive and Pit Stop 2 on the C64 were classics at the time, with hours of fun!

Comment

The joy of playing Ridge Racers on my Japanese PSP in December 2004 remains my highlight. The DS had come out only ten days or so earlier, and it had blown my mind to play Mario 64 on a handheld. But compared to the awesome Ridge Racers, the DS seemed a disappointment. The PSP was an amazing handheld but racing was its strongest genre.

Runner up - Metropolis Street Racer. Loved the real tracks and the radio stations.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                              A lot of my faces have already been mentioned, but I remember Le Manns 24 on the Dreamcast being a memorable racer.
                              OMG, good shout - how could I forget this? That's a great game (DC version only though) and holds up well now.

Comment

Working...
                              X