Momentous Racing Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 112 View Post
    A lot of my faces have already been mentioned, but I remember Le Manns 24 on the Dreamcast being a memorable racer. Also, Suoer Monaco Racing on the Mega Drive and Pit Stop 2 on the C64 were classics at the time, with hours of fun!

Remember buying my Japanese Megadrive with Super Monaco Grand Prix, great game, only just came second to RR on PSX. Sega Rally is my third fave. I guess to some extent it was bring the arcade experience home that also enhanced these experiances.

Strangely, if sone if these classics were released today they would called shallow, lack of tracks, lack of cars, lack of modes, etc.etc. It hust goes to show how things have changed!

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
      Strangely, if sone if these classics were released today they would called shallow, lack of tracks, lack of cars, lack of modes, etc.etc. It hust goes to show how things have changed!
      Well, there would be a day one patch bigger than the game itself to download, extra tracks could be bought with subsequent DLC, extra cars would be released to buy later in multiple packs or you could just pay to have your XP boosted so you can unlock stock cars quicker. You could get all of these slightly discounted if you get the season pass before you buy it.

Rally mode will be available separately for you to buy one month after release...

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Hot damn. Neo drift out.

Spent some coin on that one in the past, let me tell thee.

To throw a few more in the mix:

Arcade chase h.q. was and is the tits. So much fun with some uber funky music to boot.

F zero gx. There comes a time when playing this that if feels like your consciousness is residing in your brain stem and everything is taking place on a lower, more visceral and instinctual level. Great fun. Great controller smashing fun.

Wipeout pure. More of the same but on the go. A new reason for spending an hour on the toilet complete with tingling legs.

Lotus esprit turbo challenge on the Amiga had great tunes and was a top notch game too. Just reminded me of super cars ii as well which just oozed personality and humour.
        Chase H.Q. in the arcade was smashing. Loved that stand up cab too, a fantastic edgy driving experience at the time.
        F-Zero GX: You've defined it incredibly accurately there, easy on those controllers though!
        Wipeout pure, this have should've been your number 2 surely?
        Only played Lotus esprit turbo challenge round another bots house, it did instigate a fantasy love affair for the Lotus brand. Reminding us of Test Drive 2 Unlimited!

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
        This post is almost a book, a highly recommened book at that...
        Destruction Derby 1 and 2 were a staple feature of our PlayStation, loved seeing the car fall to bits!
        Wipeout 2097 was certainly an improvement, think we had it on Sega Saturn?
        Rollcage: Need to try check this out?!
        Rapid Racer: That's the one! Couldn't remember the name, cheers!
        Super Sonic Racers seems to get smacked a lot of the time, it's not really great in the grand scheme of things.. But was good chaotic fun at the time.
        Circuit Breakers: Is a new one here. Not sure why but it instantly reminds us of MASHED?
        MarioKart 64: There was college?
        F-Zero 64: Congratulations on the completion there!
        Rush 2049: Neglected this? Which is the better port Dreamcast or N64?
        Rallisport Challenge 1&2: Aye, quality stuff in these!
        Quantum Redshift: We may have this? But it's unplayed! Will look at it forthwith upon your recommendation.
        Forza: Loved the decals and the seriousness online.
        PGR: Spent an insane amount of time here across all of the PGR family.

Comment

Best racing games for me were in order of preference:

Outrun 2 (XB) (the reason I would buy a Microsoft product!)
          Outrun 2 C2C (PSP)
          Wipeout HD (PS3)
          F-Zero GX (GC)
          Ridge Racer (PSP)
          Wipeout Pure (PSP)
          RIdge Racer 7 (PS3)
          Outrun 2 Online Arcade (PS3)
          MSR (DC)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Was surprised not to see Gran Turismo mentioned, but then I realised the thread title said momentous, not monotonous.
            This is now all I see when I look at the thread title.

Comment

Comment

San Francisco Rush 2049 is a stupidly amazing racing game. I have, and still do, put many hours into it.

Outrun 2 is just brilliant.

F-Zero is one of the fastest racers ever made.

Honorable mentions to Daytona and Sega Rally but only when experienced in the arcade

Comment

Ooh, ooh!
                  Mashed and Little Racers STREET!

Once I checked Miner Dig Deep off my “things to do” list, my most requested review became Little Racers STREET by Milkstone Studios.  I got at least one email a week and a tweet or two …

Comment

Working...
                  X