Star Wars: Battlefront review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Battlefront review

Been giving this a crack tonight after trying it out in the earlier beta.

I've gone with the PS4 version and have been curious about the game between the two releases due to the amount of discussion generated online as the average reviews hit. I've tried all the maps now and have stuck with the default weaponry so it's been a fairly straight forward introduction to the game as most the fun unlocks only become purchasable once you hit the teen ranks so I've been saving up my in game currency for then.

First, it's much the same up front as the beta presented it as. It's a very good looking game with a firm grasp on the tone and style of the Star Wars films making it an authentic experience to the series. The only real difference between the game and the beta seems to be the full map rotation and additional modes. Sound etc seems the same perfectly pitched music and sound effects whilst the game is buttery smooth to play.

The biggest failing straight from the top is indeed the low map count. I do like the maps that are presented, they're suitably large but also clearly limited in terms of long term tactical approaches. The fifth map is set to hit in a week or two which will help but it's heavily front loaded and unless you're in for a quick dip the season pass (which will add a further 16 maps over 4 expansion releases) is a necessity.

The game still feels very light and simplistic, gunplay seems to favour hip fire approaches and there doesn't seem to be any real tweaks from the beta so any impressions on that carry over to the full release.

It's never going to act as a replacement for Battlefield, Call of Duty etc but for purely indulging in the current Star Wars hype bubble and living out the experience of being in large scale assaults it does the job. If the lack of depth is a concern you'd really be best holding off but I feel confident I'll get enough hours enjoyment to cover the price of entry.
    1 - A Phantom Menace
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Revenge of the Sith
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - The Empire Strikes Back
    0%

For what i have played i really enjoyed it, but i want the weekend play to see if it holds interest beyond the wow factor, oh oh my god im on Endor, 4 maps but at least they are all good maps, which i cant say about black ops 3.

It almost feels that if you bought the game, then its forcing you to buy the season pass or give it up quickly . I hate to say i will probally buy the season pass if i continue to enjoy it. thanks EA but thats, modern gaming.

Comment

It's failings are it's obvious cash grab and low content on release. Anyone could have told EA and DICE that their rush and conquest modes would be the mainstays of the game. Given this is a purely multiplayer release I'm amazed we have such rubbish as hero hunt, cargo etc...

The standouts are the 4 open maps for the 20 v 20 modes. Everything else is pure filler.

Comment

The flying bit looks lovely and plays nice enough, but gets old pretty quickly.

i Agree the standout are the 4 20 v 20 maps, great, just a shame we have to pay for the other 12 maps.

but is there any game these days that does not come with a season pass on ps4 and Xbox.
        Nintendo are a different animal just look at splatoon, it keesp giving at that was low on content at launch.

Comment

This is purely MP right? No single player campaign? Never played a battlefield / front game before, but the Star Wars hype machine is pulling my strings......!!

Comment

Pretty much yup, there's quite a few modes but it seems destined to settle into purely capture the flag 20v20

Comment

Done a few hours on this and I'm definitely enjoying it. It's super simple, my quality of play in other FPS seems to be negatively impacted by playing this, but it feels nice just to play a solid online mp title that isn't military themed and is very pick up and play. It's rare that I get frustrated playing this. Still not sure about the longevity of it though. It's definitely not bad... just nowhere near as good as it could have been.

Comment

I've given it a 7/10 as 8/10 would have needed more maps.
                It's simple but fun. The different modes are a nice breath of fresh air from Walker Assault, which is the main game after all. Quite enjoyed "Cargo" The Flag in the SW locales, and Droid Run is actually quite challenging. Hero Hunt is just fan service. I don't like that the DL-44 (Han's blaster) was a perk of the deluxe edition as it seems a little overpowered, but I'll get it at rank 25 anyway.

My only gripe is that in Fighter Squadron, the hero units are pretty much invincible.

And that I can't join any of you guys

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  I don't like that the DL-44 (Han's blaster) was a perk of the deluxe edition as it seems a little overpowered, but I'll get it at rank 25 anyway.
                  Don't worry, there's a patch coming which changes Han's blaster shooting first...

Walker Assault
                  This mode sounds like people beating you up, [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]

Hero Hunt
                  Whereas this mode describes me perfectly...

Comment

Infinite Heath glitch

Comment

Thankfully you can't hear the inane banter we had going on at the same time.

Comment

After the beta and initial reviews I gave this game some real bad rep due to the lack of content and the lack of anything complex with the battle system. After Battlefield 4 it felt like such a massive step back but after picking it up cheap in a deal (?25) and having a good go it does however do some things right and some things very well.

Pro's -

Great loading times/Fast into games
                        No lag
                        Shooting feels good
                        3rd Person view is a nice touch
                        Looks amazing
                        Lots of game modes

Con's

Unlock system is shallow and heavily favours higher level people
                        Lack of maps
                        Spawns can be dodgy
                        Price / Season Pass XD
                        Bad guys are overpowered

I have had some really good fun playing the hero hunt and drop zone modes, I aint even really been on the bigger modes yet. For me it suits a ?25 title it could just do with some balancing.

Comment

Bad guys are overpowered?

How exactly? They have the same weaponry.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            Bad guys are overpowered?

How exactly? They have the same weaponry.
                            Should have been more clear, i'm talking about the heroes. Vader's team is so much better as a collective even though Luke is excellent.

Had some more great games tonight, infact I am really late to bed!

Now I'm level 20 though I do feel sorry for the low level people XD

Comment

Leia is very well balanced, she has a squad shield, explosive shots and health drop.
                              Not sure what is going on but got DESTROYED on every Cargo and Supremacy match I've played over the last 2 days. I'm rank 21 and still get horribly owned.

Comment

Working...
                              X