X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Ninja’d
    Well paid doesn’t equal an enjoyable job!

Comment

I just had nine 7hr jobs land on my plate all at once. ETA: "ASAP!!!1". At least that's my weekend sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Well paid doesn’t equal an enjoyable job!
        We can’t hear you! Your Aston Martin is just too loud! Hehe
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-04-2018, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Sometimes you just have to quit and then figure out what you're going to do afterwards. When you're locked into the day to day, it's very difficult to make strong plans and there is really never a right time. If you put yourself in a position where you have no choice but to do something different, you will do it.
          I know you mean well, but I don't agree with this advice one bit. It makes sense if you're financially stable or dependent (i.e. you have savings for 6 months' of unemployment or live with your parents or something) but I think it's much easier to get a job when you have a job. With a regular income, it's easier to pay to get for interviews, pay for a mobile phone and internet supplier (to use for job interviews), pay for food and clothes (so you don't look starving in threadbare clothes at job interviews)...

People joke about "the fear" but I would strongly advise against it.

Comment

Yeah I'm not going to argue with that but it also illustrates the problem I see when it comes to a lot of people making leaps. That safety, that security, is too hard to lose and people get into their secure ruts. And that's fine if that security is all you want - if the only thing that matters is that regular paycheck. You're selling easy here. It makes sense and it's a big risk to cut loose. I just think the chances of you making some kind of important leap are greatly increased if you actually let go.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're freelance Dogg? I think that perspective is a little different. Mind you, I don't know what Asura does...

I was hoping to quit working at the hotel for the summer and just chill at home, making teaching resources for the autumn (assuming I get a position), but if we hope to pay for IVF this year, that's just not something I can do.

Comment

My perspective is totally different, no doubt - we all bring our own experiences. I run my own company, so that's barely a stone's throw away from being freelance. I did so after having been an employee in a company for 15 years or so - a fragile safety net in that I would have been one of the last to turn out the lights had the company ever gone under so my job was more secure than almost anyone in there and yet I have always been in a fragile, changing, project to project business. So I guess I have grown up with the threat of insecurity around me.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  Mind you, I don't know what Asura does...

Comment

Well, aye, but I've been in this industry for 28 ****ing years now! I'd love a change...........
                    I think you've done well - really well but I know you can get that 'stale' feeling, I'm happy with my career considering I've hardly any qualifications but after more than 30 years with the same company I'm counting down to retirement.

Comment

Another 18 months and I'll be out of the industry. My wife and I are working toward buying a B&B on the Isle of Skye and getting away from the rat race. I'll be the maintenance man and she'll be front of house, on account of me not exactly being a people person.

Every day living in my favourite place in the world, that's my idea of heaven, and pretty much semi-retired well before fifty.

Comment

Another 18 months and I'll be out of the industry. My wife and I are working toward buying a B&B on the Isle of Skye and getting away from the rat race. I'll be the maintenance man and she'll be front of house, on account of me not exactly being a people person.

Every day living in my favourite place in the world, that's my idea of heaven, and pretty much semi-retired well before fifty.
                        *hands Colin a "Understatement of the Year" award"

Comment

I say it as I see it, that's never popular.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            *hands Colin a "Understatement of the Year" award"
                            Where are you getting all these awards and trophies from?!

Comment

I say it as I see it, that's never popular.
                              Don't I know it, I'm firmly in the spade is a spade camp and none of that ornate gardening instrument guff. Simple. Direct.

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                              Where are you getting all these awards and trophies from?!
                              Well, I don't game online see cos I have super slow internet and I realized that the ivory towered folks who do have these little trophies and achievements granted to them after certain events so I thought I'd bring that flex to Bordersdown as well. That and I've just opened a new business, check out replicatrophies.com for all your replica trophies, that name again is replicatrophies.com

Comment

Nice one Colin and good luck to you with the b&b. Make sure to let us all know the address for a big boardersdown meet 😁

Comment

Working...
                                X