This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    If I had to have a do over I’d retrain as an election. Go anywhere in the world and get work.
    Definitely. Any skilled job like that would be ideal.
    My 6 y/o son is a smart cookie, but I think he should learn a skill like that too.

We've never had a plumber or electrician in who isn't just back of a bloody cruise!

Comment

I think the plan right now is to get any old part time work and go back into education. I have no idea what do train as. A skill would be good, I don't know what's quick and easy.

Comment

It’s going full circle back to practical trades to be honest. Everyone became a web designer or coder years ago now we need practical trades people.

Once you have a few years experience under your belt you can get yourself a van and be your own boss.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-04-2018, 12:44.

Comment

My half-brother had no clue what to do and fell into carpentry. He does pretty well now, but plumber seems to be one of those jobs that is always in need, can pick their own schedule and charge what they like.

Comment

I would go for plumber personally but if I had the nouse I would consider being a sparky.

Best of luck Cassius, hope you work things out.

Comment

I seriously thought of getting into plumbing/ electrician course if the nursing didn't pan out and I had the support to study.

I love fixing/ making things, I think it would have been cool to learn and earned a bit more than I do now.

Comment

Funny seeing these be an electrician posts, when I spend half my time thinking about NOT being an electrician.

Comment

Mate, you drive an Aston!
                  You're not discouraging us!

Comment

Well, aye, but I've been in this industry for 28 ****ing years now! I'd love a change...........

Comment

I've been in the same retail occupation for nearly a decade now and have been pondering a change. Not really sure how to approach something non retail though lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        I've been in the same retail occupation for nearly a decade now and have been pondering a change. Not really sure how to approach something non retail though lol
                        Get the sack. Nothing forces a change like being made unemployed.

Just take me as an example.

Comment

Well, that'd definitely be a boot up my arse.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to quit and then figure out what you're going to do afterwards. When you're locked into the day to day, it's very difficult to make strong plans and there is really never a right time. If you put yourself in a position where you have no choice but to do something different, you will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Mate, you drive an Aston!
                              You're not discouraging us!
                              Ninja’d

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                So I lost my job. Not so much an irk, more a gut punching shock. I really need a change of direction. I just feel so lost.
                                I'm very sorry to hear this Cassius. IT is so volatile at the moment. Much worse when you work for a corporation.

Have you tried applying for something in the media industry? You'd be surprised how many people get senior technical roles in this field who know and do F-All.

Comment

Working...
                                X