This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
    Christmas was crap last year, despite catsitting. A very lonely time. I'd thought this year was going to be better (I've booked two weeks off, getting shopping done early) but my mum has just told me not to buy her or her boyfriend anything as he's out of work after completing his master's degree and wants to teach him some sort of lesson. There'll be no awkward atmosphere on the day then.
    Did you point out that she's your mum and NOT his? That's not girlfriend behaviour, that's ex-girlfriend behaviour.

Comment

Christmas was crap last year, despite catsitting. A very lonely time. I'd thought this year was going to be better (I've booked two weeks off, getting shopping done early) but my mum has just told me not to buy her or her boyfriend anything as he's out of work after completing his master's degree and wants to teach him some sort of lesson. There'll be no awkward atmosphere on the day then.

Christ, it's going to be like the Mitchells in EastEnders glaring at each other over the roast.
      I'm sorry but what?

Comment

Your mum's got it wrong. People don't have lessons after their Masters. It's PhD research time.

Do they even have lectures during the Masters?

Comment

All respect to your mum, but I would say stuff what she says and bring presents. It's Christmas, we're not supposed to go with Scrooge as the example.

Comment

Buy him a pressie.

He's done a masters and achieved something, he's not a crackhead who needs to be taught a life lesson at christmas about stealing.

Comment

Of course I'm bringing presents, it's just that she's getting more and more difficult to buy for as she gets older and not giving me any indication of what she wants or needs hardly helps.

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              Did you point out that she's your mum and NOT his? That's not girlfriend behaviour, that's ex-girlfriend behaviour.
              In fairness, I think she's a bit exasperated as she's carrying the financial load at the moment and he didn't have a job while he was studying. She doesn't really want to receive lots of presents from my wife and I on the day and not have anything to give in return without digging herself a deeper hole. I've told her not to be silly but she's just worried.

I also think that going back into the job market after years of not needing to is a bit of a shock to the system for her boyfriend. I empathise with him completely in that regard, although I did work my backside off on weekends to pay rent and bills when I was doing my undergraduate degree.

Comment

Do people do Master's to go back into the job market? I thought it was academia all the way.
                I can understand her position from what you say, and do think it's a little stupid not working at all (considering I worked full time while doing this BSc). At the same time, it's not that he suddenly quit his job and is living off her.

Comment

I work with lots of people that did Master's degrees in Computer Science, so it's not always a stepping stone to a PhD.

He did quit his job at the start of his degree.

Comment

Of course I'm bringing presents, it's just that she's getting more and more difficult to buy for as she gets older and not giving me any indication of what she wants or needs hardly helps.
                    This is why Yankee Candles exist.

Comment

My favourite Yankee candle scent is "a child's wish"

Comment

A 'Yankee candle' sounds like some sort of euphemism for something deeply unpleasant that might happen in Bible Belt USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          This is why Yankee Candles exist.
                          I had to look that up. She's not a little old lady that faintly smells of piss and lavender.

Comment

After yrs of not jumping on the bandwagon, I've finally joined facebook in order to keep in touch with an old mate of mine. He gets a crap mobile signal up where he lives so its a good way of keeping in touch.
                            Only 1 problem - the friend requests have started to pour in.

Wtf have I done!!!!

Comment

Block them all!

Comment

Activate the 'skating filter' option in your settings to filter the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

Working...
                                X