No announcement yet.

Go 8 Bit with Dara Ó Briain (Dave)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't you go to a live filming, [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION]?

What the atmosphere like?

Comment

I wasn't a fan of Go 8-Bit, but I never saw the DLC show which looks better. I find watching celebrities pretending to like games because their agent knows they'll appear on anything cringeworthy.

Honestly, as big as gaming is, I think you'll be waiting a long time for a decent games show on TV. The good news is, it's 2018, and you don't have to. There is so much great stuff on YouTube! I recommend Kim Justice's excellent 20 - 30 minute documentaries and reviews and if you've not seen Ahoy's documentaries, they're excellent and almost feature length. The Game Chasers are also a guilty pleasure - it's like Bargain Hunt for retro gaming nerds, and there are about 6 seasons to work your way through. The humour's a bit juvenile, though!

As an aside, I know you like theme parks QC - I recommend Defunctland for some really nicely produced videos on the history of some of Disney and Universal's most famous rides.

Honestly, YouTube is great. The standard of stuff on there has risen immeasurably in the past 10 years, and for something like gaming it's far, far better than traditional broadcast television will ever be - especially since most of British TV seems to be aimed at the very old, the very young, and stay at home mums.

EDIT: And shout out to our own [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]'s videos. I know that guy's been doing it since before YT was even a thing, and his vids have carved out a cool niche.
      Last edited by wakka; 02-10-2018, 13:33.

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION].

I end up just spiralling down the clickbait hole on YouTube.

I get fed up with YouToobers saying "Hi guys" and "Remember to like and subscribe!" on every post.

Having a few tailored suggestions really helps, actually, thanks!

I'm sick of thumbnails with surprised people.

Comment

Yeah that kind of thing is just nonsense. There's loads of quality niche stuff though. Take a look at Kim Justice, her vids are really interesting and entertaining. It's gaming TV done how you actually would want it done.

Comment

Deffo, going to check his/her channel tonight.

I also sub to Yakumo, obviously.

I Patreon to him and Frog Leap Studios.
            This needs reposting as it's amazing:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Yeah that kind of thing is just nonsense. There's loads of quality niche stuff though. Take a look at Kim Justice, her vids are really interesting and entertaining. It's gaming TV done how you actually would want it done.
                Unfortunately this is down to the way Google runs the algorithms that promote content - this happens because people are trying to game them.

Comment

Go 8-Bit wasn't the greatest show ever, but it was a fun family watch for me and the boys. Shame it's done with, but it had a decent run I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Didn't you go to a live filming, [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION]?

What the atmosphere like?
                    Nah. Didn't go in the end.

Comment

I recommend Kim Justice's excellent 20 - 30 minute documentaries
                      Watched a couple, but they're not for me. I'm not a massive fan of her delivery.

I'll look into:
                      Ahoy
                      Game Chasers

As an aside, I know you like theme parks QC - I recommend Defunctland for some really nicely produced videos on the history of some of Disney and Universal's most famous rides.
                      This I did like!
                      There's lots of videos I want to watch on this channel. I watched the one about the 20000 Leagues submarine ride, which was really interesting.
                      Started the Jaws one, but want to watch it properly and it was getting late.

Thanks for the suggestions, Wakattack !

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        Thing is, Dara likes his games but the show fell into the same trap as Mock The Week with it's heavily scripted, really obvious puns and one liners.

I'd like an intelligent show about gaming with some humour. Not a funny show with games shoehorned in.
                        Well said. I think this is why I really couldn't get in to the show.

Comment

I wasn't a fan of Go 8-Bit, but I never saw the DLC show which looks better. I find watching celebrities pretending to like games because their agent knows they'll appear on anything cringeworthy.

Honestly, as big as gaming is, I think you'll be waiting a long time for a decent games show on TV. The good news is, it's 2018, and you don't have to. There is so much great stuff on YouTube! I recommend Kim Justice's excellent 20 - 30 minute documentaries and reviews and if you've not seen Ahoy's documentaries, they're excellent and almost feature length. The Game Chasers are also a guilty pleasure - it's like Bargain Hunt for retro gaming nerds, and there are about 6 seasons to work your way through. The humour's a bit juvenile, though!

Honestly, YouTube is great. The standard of stuff on there has risen immeasurably in the past 10 years, and for something like gaming it's far, far better than traditional broadcast television will ever be - especially since most of British TV seems to be aimed at the very old, the very young, and stay at home mums.

EDIT: And shout out to our own [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]'s videos. I know that guy's been doing it since before YT was even a thing, and his vids have carved out a cool niche.
                          Yeah! I'm recognised my shows are not to the research calibur of Kim Justice for example but I have been making them for over 20 years now. It's a pleasure of mine and I'm always impressed that people watch what I put out. It's great to share a hobby with people even if I'll never meet 99% of the viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Watched a couple, but they're not for me. I'm not a massive fan of her delivery.

I'll look into:
                            Ahoy
                            Game Chasers

This I did like!
                            There's lots of videos I want to watch on this channel. I watched the one about the 20000 Leagues submarine ride, which was really interesting.
                            Started the Jaws one, but want to watch it properly and it was getting late.

Thanks for the suggestions, Wakattack !
                            That's a shame you didn't like Kim. I'd recommend focusing on her more recent work, past year or two, rather than the older stuff. Her videos on the rise and fall of Peter Molyneux are great, highly recommended. But if you don't like her, you don't like her. I never watch her vlog stuff btw, so can't speak to that.
                            [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] your vids are in a different vein to hers to be fair. You keep your focus quite narrow and I think that works well.
                            [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] when you watch Ahoy, try one of his longer pieces. He has loads of videos on weapons in games I've never watched but his doc on, for example, the Cold War and gaming is great.

If you like Defunctland, then Theme Park History is also pretty good.

Comment

That's a shame you didn't like Kim. I'd recommend focusing on her more recent work, past year or two, rather than the older stuff. Her videos on the rise and fall of Peter Molyneux are great, highly recommended. But if you don't like her, you don't like her. I never watch her vlog stuff btw, so can't speak to that.
                              @Yakumo your vids are in a different vein to hers to be fair. You keep your focus quite narrow and I think that works well.
                              @QualityChimp when you watch Ahoy, try one of his longer pieces. He has loads of videos on weapons in games I've never watched but his doc on, for example, the Cold War and gaming is great.

If you like Defunctland, then Theme Park History is also pretty good.
                              She speaks quite slowly, but that makes a change from excitable YouToobers, I guess.
                              I picked a couple of subjective videos, so maybe I'll try a history one next time.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                                Thing is, Dara likes his games but the show fell into the same trap as Mock The Week with it's heavily scripted, really obvious puns and one liners.
                                Some of it was scripted, quite a bit of it was ad-lib, having been to two filmings myself. Problem is, most of the ad-lib stuff was too offensive/racey/rude/edgy to make the final cuts of the episodes!
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X