Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls [Vita] review

Anyone else playing this, then?

Spinning off from the Danganronpa series, it's a bit of a departure from their firm roots in visual novel territory, and instead positions itself as a third person action game. That said, there's still plenty of text to wade through, and a pretty out-there story with the typical tones of the series. So, maybe a good point of entry for those on the fence about VNs?

The action parts are from a third person perspective; a bit like a pared-down Resi 4, pitting you against a number of Monokumas at a time, but generally in situations where you're able to outmanouver them. You can get critical hits by aiming for their glowing red eyes, but between the erratic nature of movement and the controls you'll often find this more trouble than it's worth. Really, success is more about smart use of your different shot types that are unlocked as the game goes on. Sectioned-off puzzle rooms really drive this idea home, where you have a number of enemies arranged in set positions, and you're tasked with wiping them all out in one move - typically by luring them into set positions, manipulating environmental set pieces, and then using a particular shot type to topple the first domino and kick things into motion. Away from these you can also switch to a secondary character who instead takes a melee approach, but given this has a limited time span, this really feels like a last resort panic button rather than something to use throughout.

I believe I'm now on the last chapter, and I've been enjoying it a lot. I was keen for more development in the game's world, and it's fitting that bill nicely with a fun twist on the usual gameplay. There's plenty to pick at though - controls are clunky, gameplay is interrupted often enough to irritate (mileage may vary here), and if playing as a schoolgirl with a short skirt isn't enough, as is seemingly par for the course with VNs, there are some bits that are indecent to the point of me having turning the system off whilst in public, for fear of being added to some kind of register.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I started it...did the first chapter and when I went back realised it hadn't saved! What I played didn't impress me though.

Will give it another try when my Destiny addiction breaks.

Comment

Yeah, saving has been buggy for me too - the save was there but refused to load just after I did the first chapter too... Have been soldiering on since and not had any more issues, but that was pretty irritating.

Comment

Working...
      X