Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars classics (and general SW stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars classics (and general SW stuff)

Word is that Disney are bringing the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars films to Blu Ray. John Landis reckons so anyway: http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disn...l-star-wars-t/

That would be very good news indeed. We should have had these years ago.

By the way, we have no general Star Wars thread and this didn't seem to fit in any other so here is a general Star Wars thread. Do with it what you will.

I'm expecting them to come out as they know there's demand but Disney are still a good few years away from having distribution rights on the original trilogy so I'm guessing it's more they have the intent of doing it rather than they're coming out any time soon

Comment

Sounds great... I'm getting the Blu-Ray collection next month but I'll definitely add this one. I don't even remember when I've seen the original versions last time. The Special Editions really haven't aged well at all. The CGI in some of the added scenes really look terrible in Episode IV and really ruin the pacing in the movie, the last time I watched. As a kid I thought they looked great, though.

Comment

I never saw them as a kid because I'm old. I quite liked the visual amendments to ESB but none of them are actually of any substance. The big thing for me was replacing old Anakin with Christensen in RotJ. That was really the last straw for me and tipped me over the edge.

Do you remember how awful the Special Edition Jabba was? It was like someone really didn't want to work on Star Wars.

Comment

I liked the touch-ups they did to fix poor original special effects - stuff like getting rid of the visible black boxes around the tie fighters, and the moving shadows on the emperors face. Those kind of fixes are welcome. But the additional scenes, changes to original scenes/dialogue/actors were not welcome at all.

And yeah, that atrocious inserted scene with the CGI Jabba and Han awkwardly stepping on his tail, good grief.

I've been watching the original versions a lot since I found them on torrent sites a year or so back. I'm all for a good quality HD release.
          Last edited by Darwock; 20-09-2015, 00:16.

Comment

Made over lunchtime:

Also, I still have the figure of one of the worst SW characters made outside of the prequels:
            Last edited by Dogg Thang; 20-09-2015, 00:27.

Comment

I can imagine 1997.

And NOW.....

For the first time in TWENTY YEARS!!!!!

Unseen for over TWO DECADES!!!!!!!

Gentlemen...

I bring you....

UNSEEN FOR TWENTY YEARS!!!!!!!

(drum roll).......

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Comment

Word is that Disney are bringing the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars films to Blu Ray. John Landis reckons so anyway: http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disn...l-star-wars-t/

That would be very good news indeed. We should have had these years ago.

By the way, we have no general Star Wars thread and this didn't seem to fit in any other so here is a general Star Wars thread. Do with it what you will.
                They are already on bluray, if you know where to look......

;-)

Comment

I have Star Wars and Empire on blu ray, the fan restored ones. They're not that impressive.

Comment

I always watch some laserdisc rips of the original trilogy that I have. They look well rough on a 63" plasma these days though so a remastering of the originals would be great.

Comment

I just watch the original theatrical versions on DVD if I get the urge these days. Ok, not blu ray picture quality, but at least the films are as they should be.

Comment

Made over lunchtime:

Also, I still have the figure of one of the worst SW characters made outside of the prequels:
                        The model shop in Chester has loads of terrible SW figures. I've seen the one above, in the shop.

I did wonder what film it was from, as it's hardly a recognisable figure, to the point of they just produced it to line their pockets from fanboy money.

Comment

It must be some kind of spaceport supply droid as it has 'spaceport supply rods'. How thrilling for a child to get that on Christmas Day.

Cowabunga.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I have Star Wars and Empire on blu ray, the fan restored ones. They're not that impressive.
                            Thought they were pretty awesome myself - what did you not like about them?

Comment

I liked the 97 version. It looks hilariously bad now (like something you'd see on the sci fi channel) so I can see where 70's fans are coming from. Best to leave something completely and remake YEARS later (like 20 or 30 years when the techs changed completely) than try and retro update.

It'd be like someone going back into The Matrix and giving them all an iphone 6S. Utterly pointless.

Comment

Working...
                              X