No announcement yet.

Super Mario Maker review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids have taken over this. I'm enjoying it but they barely let me have a go.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMarc View Post
      People online should use these advices:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0c5Le1vGp4
      Good watch. That's what I'm talking about.

Comment

Level ID: 2A8F-0000-0049-9485Out of about 11k attempts globally, this is the first clear that anyone's gotten, besides the uploader of course. I don't post p...

Comment

I have been playing a lot of this and I'm finding it very tricky to come up with good level ideas. Some that I have played are incredibly clever but I seem to find myself wanting to make very simple courses. Of the ones that pop up on the 100 Mario Challenge, they are a mixed bag, which is to be expected. Some are truly horrendous. There are far too many of the Don't Move type (I thought the first one I saw was really clever but it wears thin very quickly) and too many that are just chaos plus power up star.

But actually, I have been pretty surprised at the good levels that I have encountered. Many are a lot of fun. And some people here are making great levels too - Yesteryeargames in particular has some creative gems.

I do find myself looking for pieces that don't exist here (giant bullet bills, hills etc.) but I have a suspicion that DLC might be on the cards. But actually the biggest thing for me that is missing which I don't expect to find in DLC is the ability to really change the look and feel: different backgrounds, palette changes and varying music tracks. I think those would have added a lot.

Still, enjoyable and my girls are loving it.

Comment

A follow up to the video posted before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OG5S5GDouo
            Showing more advices for level makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I have a suspicion that DLC might be on the cards
              I'd be amazed if this wasn't the case for SMM - it's staring Nintendo in the face.

The inability to use checkpoints and create worlds (doesn't have to be the sprawling SMB3/SMW/NSMBU style - just classic SMB 4-level worlds at minimum would do) need to be addressed.

Comment

I adore this game.

I'm not much of a level designer myself, but enjoy playing other peoples and am increasingly surprised by the quality of the design. Providing support continues I can see myself enjoying this for years to come.

Comment

Yeah, some levels are great but it's such a lucky dip. Last night I did a 100 Mario challenge and every single one of them was a total stinker. It does seem like the rating system could do with more detail, rather than just star or no star. A lot of people I suspect just don't star anything and some star stuff for effort whereas if they had to mark it out of 5 to move on, it might give a better indication. A couple of stars for just effort and 5 for something really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    I have been playing a lot of this and I'm finding it very tricky to come up with good level ideas.
                    It helps to come up with an abstract idea of what you want the level to achieve, before you do anything else. Think in terms of what the primary emotional experience is supposed to be.

Is the player meant to feel fast? Precise? Under threat? Clever? Methodical?

If you start from that, other situations should jump at you - they grow organically from that starting point.

Comment

Apologies if this is out-there already
                      Did you know Super Mario Maker is hiding a secret old-school CRT TV mode that you can activate with a simple code? We show you how in this video!• Follow Gam...

I was watching CRT TV Videos on youtube and found this by chance/accident.

Comment

That's pretty cool

Comment

Created my first level where I was proud of the outcome, a few unexpected ways to complete it but like all my Mario levels, it's a classic level with no gimmicks.

Prepare to Run! - 161E-0000-0088-C08C

Comment

Finally getting into this and loving it, just can't wait for the full unlock and then I can really get my teeth into it.

Comment

Creating a decent level is extremely difficult. I get about half-way through something, decide that it sucks, and then start again.

I'm getting better, though.

Comment

Try my tribute to the shooting levels on Mario Land
                                815E-0000-0189-E0D1

Comment

Working...
                                X