[PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & The Monster Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & The Monster Seal

Look, I'm playing a dungeon crawler, how unusual!
    The original Dungeon Travelers was a spin-off of To Heart 2, an erotic visual novel, and never reached western shores. Atlus decided to publish DT2 in the US without pulling a Final Fantasy, also including a small extra with the first edition; unfortunately said extra, a small calendar, featured heavily rescaled images due to the US' oversensitivity to cleavages and risqu?e point of views, and I feared that the game would be censored as well.
    And it's not.
    From what I've seen, at least. I can't do a direct comparison between US and Japanese versions, but for some reason the game didn't suffer as much as the calendar.

Anyway, in DT2 you play as Fried, a newly appointed Libra. Libras can seal monsters but cannot fight, so they form suppression parties with those able to. On your first assignment you team up with Melvy and Alisia, old schoolmates. Alisia's a Fighter and Melvy's a mage (or Magic User, as the game insists). Monsters are either sentient fruits (like Cherry Boys, Banangos, or Green Applers) or monster musume. For uninitiated, it means monster like slimes, harpies, Frankestein monsters, and so on, represented as cute (most of the times barely dressed) girls.
    As you progress thorough the story, more girls join your team, each belonging to a different class. So far I've met a Spieler, a Maid, and a Scout. You cannot change a character's class unless you want to promote them to a higher class, and it's some time before your party gets up to five members. So far the worst thing about DT2 has been the lack of customisation at party level, and how forced it feels in class choice.
    On the other hand, classes have great variety: while Fighters and Magic Users are straightforward, Spielers and Maids are not; Spielers are agile, self-sufficient front-line fighters able to heal on their own; Maids can cure allies, restore their TPs (used for special actions), and inflict various status debuffs without spending TPs; instead, the effectivness of their abilities is determined by the level of the "Maid Profession" stat and that they can't act outside battles.
    At each level up characters gain one skill point that can be assigned to any of the various skills; higher the skill level, higher the cost is, so some levels might result in a simple stat increase rather than in new or improved skills.
    So far, the party forced on you has been rather capable, with a rather standard spread of tank, DPS, and magic users. The Maid doesn't strike as hard as other classes and can't heal as good as the Magic User, so she has been on item duty mostly.

During battles, party and enemies act based on their speed, with some actions taking effect immediately (like defend or normal attacks) and others taking more time (like casting spells). The order is on the right side of the screen, and you can bring up additional info directly over the monsters' heads to better formulate a battle plan. As usual with these games, there are four elements and different attack types (bash, slash, pierce) and every monster has its own weaknesses. Each enemy class also has its own strength, and you'll quickly learn which one to prioritise, also based on available characters before the monster's turn.
    It's a nice system that requires some thought, although boss battles so far haven't gone past the usual buff/heal/use-best-attack-possible routine; DT2 still lacks the depth and enemy characterisation that the Etrian Odyssey series has, but it's far more engaging than Ray Gigant.

There are a few problems though: like your party, enemies can spawn in two rows, but the game doesn't clearly distinguish between the two; you don't know how a delayed an action can be; damage, for both sides, seem to have a rather huge random component; within a dungeon, there are only an handful of enemy types, and it's easy to get bored. So far these flaws haven't been crippling, but the first ones could have been corrected without too much effort.
    Same goes for menu navigation, way too many submenus that can be reached in just one way; thankfully loading times are nonexistend and it's not as terrible as other games (like the first Class of Heroes, or Mana Khemia on the PS2), but certainly the UI could have used more refinement...like the item shop resetting the chosen category every time you sell an item; still on items, splitting healing items from random monster drops would have uncluttered menus a lot.

DT2 also features some mechanics that are never fully explained, like a character's mood. At first I though that portraits during battles reflected a character's status (like heavily hurt, poisoned, and so on), but in truth it indicates the mood, and the mood actively influences to-hit and dodge chances. The game features some 4th-wall breaking skits between a penguin and a bear to explain some mechanics, but those explanations usually come in late or are unnecessary (did you know that you could sell items to get money?); same goes for the Secret Classroom, a spoof on Persona's Velvet room, where a maid will explain other mechanics. I'd say that DT2's biggest problem is that it's not entirely clear on its system, and some aspect are left unexplained for no good reason.
    The game also has a lot of random events, like merchants: from time to time the party will encounter a human merchant selling items, a bear selling ramen, or a penguin selling ice cream. All three can or cannot be in the dungeon you're exploring, and all of them move around; there's no indication on the map, or no representation in the dungeon itself, you move around and might be greeted by one these sellers. The bear and and the penguin sell food to remove status effects, restore HPs and TPs, or cure a character's mood. And it's thanks to them that I've learned about moods, but no one took the time to explain how this influences a character.
    I won't say it's a mess, but again, more clarity would have been appreaciated.

Strangely enough, graphics have a lot of down points. The girls joining your party are lovely, as are the various illustrations, but portraits of the various monster musume greatly vary in quality. Your character's portrait isn't as good looking as the girls, too. Dungeons offer a good graphical variety between them, but only a token number of tiles and walls within a set. Again, the interface is barren, and more icons to represent different weapon types, for example, would have greatly improved it.
    Almost every dialogue is voiced, and BGMs are a rather wild mix of genres. Voices are on the cutesy side, so might end up hating some of them (hello, Alisia); taking a page from visual novels, you can mute voices independently.

Despite all of that...I'm enjoying DT2. I must confess that part of the enjoyment is derived from the lovely portraits the game has, but it's no slouch on the dungeoneering side either. Not as good or original as other titles, but not a complete waste of time.

Looks worth checking out.

Comment

I should know when I think a game has a decent feature, most of the times it will turn out to be a not-so-great one.
      Combat has been dulled down considerably, and now it revolves around spamming attacks with 4 characters and fireball with the Magic User, because apparently every single monster in the game has a weakness to fire, or at least it's not resistant to it (except for one, the Priestess, but she's resistant to all magics). Monsters have become rather sturdy as well, and the party is lacking on the damage output. The fireball can deal a good amoutn of damage, but it takes time to cast and the Fighter can get out about a third of the fireball's damage; other party members do worse.

Boss encounters are challenging, but with 5 party members, tension during these encounters dropped quite dramatically because you can keep one party member on potion duty; boss encounters are the only instances when items come into play, despite their high HPs standard monsters don't hit too hard and you can easily recover health after the battle...unless you encounter monsters able to cast area spells that can one-hit-KO one entire line. Target prioritisation is a must, but other than that, there isn't much to the battle system. Only few monsters use buffs on their allies, and the one called "Medic" still hasn't healed any ally; instead, other monsters heal themselves.
      I know I shouldn't expect something akin to Etrian Odyssey in every dungeon crawler, but I would like a more "tactical" approach to combat that goes beyond party composition.

Everyone in the party surpassed level 15, which means they can move to a more advanced class. Still haven't done that, I'll do it as a character reaches her next level not to waste experience points. A character cannot change base class (a Magic User can't become a Fighter), but every character has two intermediate classes and then three advanced classes. Scouts for example can become Archers or Assassins, and the intermediate class determines which advanced classes will be available. So I hope that this class feature will be a good one, considering that there should be 16 characters. I think that some will overlap as Alisia, the Fighter, can become a Paladin or a Berserker; a Berserker is likely to join later.
      I wonder if you can "roll back" intermediate and advanced class, it's possible to redistribute skill points gained within a class; if you can switch advanced classes easily (maybe with a loss of a couple of levels) this could lend a lot of flexibility to party composition, which could become the real heart of the game.

Dungeons are becoming more and more complex, with a lot of shortcuts, multiple floors, closed doors, and various unuseable devices that scream "you'll backtrack here!". One problem could be how repetitive the same dungeon could be, but then again all Etrian Odyssey use the same tiles for 5 floors. The biggest difference is that floor design in Etrian Odyssey is much better than Dungeon Travelers 2, especially in the recent Untold 2; DT2 has traps, but you don't know they're there until you step on them, and there's no visual representation of anything except the dungeon itself.

Comment

Dungeoneering continues, with revised impressions.
        During the fifth chapter the game changes almost completely, with more interesting combat and more complex dungeon design.

Monster buff and heal their allies, have access to the same abilities as your potential party members, and become more vicious than before. This doesn't really change the fact that fur of your characters are there to finish off what your Sorceress didn't burn to a crisp with an area spell, but at least it's not as braindead as before. Just like the class system, combat takes a while to open up, and just like it the problem lies in how long it takes. The game is developed by Sting (Yggdra Union, Baroque, Dokapon Kingdom, Evolution) and they know to create compelling systems, but they have to learn timing. For example, I'm still waiting an explanation of character mood...I've learned about casting time and spell interruption during the first hour with the game, I don't need it during the 10th or so.

Dungeons become complex, and not in a good way. I don't really know why people think that every single tile in a dungeon must be live (can be walked into), especially when floor design involves multiple stairs to go up and down to proceed, one-way passages, hidden passages, coloured teleporters within a floor, and teleporters between floors. When reentering a dungeon you need to first find where you have to go, mentally trace your way back to your current location, and then move. Getting lost is easy, and the fact you can't create markers or colour tiles in a different way makes the process incredibly tiresome. I know that dungeons are supposed to be complex, but I don't need a series of one-tile rooms to cover every single space on a map!
        And enemy encounters are way too frequent: sometimes you get an encounter two tiles after the previous, or even at the first tile you walk into after entering a dungeon.

In the meantime I got three new party members: a Berserker (intermediate class for Fighters), Priest (intermediate class for Magic Users), and Dollmaster (intermediate class for Spielers). I already had a Spieler promoted to Dollmaster and used it for a short while, before exchanging her for the newly acquired Berserker; of course the new Dollmaster was promptly forgotten, but I'll probably keep the Priest in the party: she of course has the ability to heal and resuscitate, but can also illuminate dungeons to reveal hidden passages and other good support abilities. To make room for the Priest I booted the Maid/Dancer, without realising how much I relied on her passive skill to restore HP and TPs at the end of the battle. So, Maid/Dancer in, Scout/Assassin out. The Assassin was mainly used to silence caster, but her damage output wasn't that great and I could use a special attack from the Paladin or Berserker to have enemies lose their spell.

With three spare characters, I've played with classes around a bit. First, reset the first Spieler/Dollmaster to level 15 and made a Spieler/Trickster instead; the Trickster is a support class and couldn't see any use for her. The Scout/Assassin was reworked as a Scout/Archer; bows take up the item slot for shields, and of course are rear line fighters...the back line is full, so no real use for her; I've left the second Spieler/Dollmaster as she is because...well, she looked fine in that dress.
        You can reset characters to level 1 or 15 (and I guess at the minimum level to advance to the 3rd class tier), and if you reset at 15 you can actually skip 1st tier skills and focus on 2nd tier. It's nice in theory, but this means you have to grind bak to previous levels; it's not a huge deal with one character, but facing the most difficult dungeon with a reset party is essentially suicide; you have powerful skills, but monster will act first and almost probably one-hit-KO adventurers because those lack the speed and HPs to take on high-level monsters. Inactive party members also don't received experience, and even now I have characters well behind the party, and there should be 8 more to recruit.

I'm actually enjoying Dungeon Travelers 2 more than my previous update, despite the various wrinkles. I think that if Sting irons out the dungeon design, DT2 could become a very interesting crawler...I know there will be a Dungeon Travelers 2-2 in 2016 (Japan only so far), so maybe!

Comment

Working...
        X