Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Round Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Round Up

In the coming weeks, Avengers 2 will be released at home and Ant-Man should also see its details locked down.

This will mark Marvel's successful closure of Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's been a highly successful run between the two phases and with the third phase they plan on opening with a full on melee movie which will lead events towards a two part Avengers entry. In total 9 new films lie ahead taking us through 2019 only this time Marvel will face it's toughest opposition as Fox doubles up its commitments to the X-Men franchise and Warners finally gets its DC Universe up and running.

As the Marvel Cinematic Universe stands though, like after Phase 1, what is your favourite film so far? What are your thoughts on the series/current state? Have you dropped out or feel fatigue setting in?
    Iron Man
    0%
    The Incredible Hulk
    0%
    Iron Man 2
    0%
    Thor
    0%
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    0%
    The Avengers
    0%
    Iron Man 3
    0%
    Thor: The Dark World
    0%
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    0%
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    0%
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    0%
    Ant-Man
    0%

I love them, but I'm really concerned Hollywood is going to run the genre into the ground. Really don't want them to become the 2000s-era equivalent of westerns.

Comment

I am not to wary about them running the genre to the ground purely because they have so many really good comic book stories they could really draw upon.

Comment

Captain America 2 was decent, the rest were crap although I haven't seen antman yet.

Comment

Out of this batch, I haven't seen Thor 2 or Ant-man. I was a bit disappointed with Age of Ultron but loved Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy (with the last one being the stand-out for me). After a huge number of very similar films, Iron Man 3 was the first that felt different to me and I really appreciated that. It felt warm and human, something that I also felt with Guardians in spite of the crazy nature of the characters.

Had I been asked to predict that Marvel could still be making good films at this point, I would have said not a chance. In fact I probably wrote somewhere that I expected them to make a Sam Jackson Nick Fury movie and that would be the beginning of the end for the Marvel run. In spite of Ultron, I'm really impressed with the level of quality at this point and I hope they continue it.

But yes, saturation is a problem. Will it affect Marvel all that much? I'm not sure. I have no interest in Superman vs Batman. Suicide Squad looks godawful. X-Men have kept up no more than a feeling of 'well I expected it to be worse'. So while I think Superman and Batman will pull in the money, I don't think it will affect Marvel in any lasting way. Competition isn't the problem. But with the other superhero films coupled with other ridiculous (yet awesome) franchises such as Fast and Furious, I could see there being a need for a complete change in movie culture at some point. Superheroes have had a great run but all things must change.

But I don't think they'll change before Phase 3 has run its course. I think Marvel are in a very safe situation as long as they don't expect all their films to be record-breakers. They are trying out a lot of characters and the danger is that, if some underperform (and I think some will), they panic and force Downey Jr into Iron Man 4 and hit us with the familiar until we are utterly bored with it. But, so far, Marvel have shown no sign of doing that. Quite the opposite - they seem to have been quite brave in mixing it up and making way for new characters.

Comment

I voted guardians, but was close to the cap 2 button! In all honesty I have loved them all for different reasons, even IM3 which most people dislike.

Comment

For me Phase 2 has been more variable than the first. I'm fine with IM3 even though it doesnt really stand out in my mind, Thor 2 is so close to being the weakest of of Marvel films, Cap 2 was really strong, Guardians may be my new current fave.

In terms of annual consistency 2015 has been the weakest for me. Whilst not awful Avengers 2 was deeply meh and Ant Man was fun but unremarkable, probably the first year to show a minor wobble in Marvels stride. Unless there's a major fall though phase 3 looks strong, a nice mix of the stronger series and new characters. My biggest concern is that Avengers 2 forbodes Marvel getting to a point where there are too many characters to hold a strong film together

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                I voted guardians, but was close to the cap 2 button! In all honesty I have loved them all for different reasons, even IM3 which most people dislike.
                I really liked Iron Man 3. Then again, I had no attachment to The Mandarin character going into it, which probably affected my outlook.

I liked Iron Man 1 & 2, then Avengers was, for all intents and purposes, Iron Man 3 (as Stark was in it so much I felt). I think if the 3rd movie had been business as usual, it would've started to get stale. Then again, we've been down this road before; I love it when franchises surprise me, but it seems most people don't.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                My biggest concern is that Avengers 2 forbodes Marvel getting to a point where there are too many characters to hold a strong film together
                I'm willing to bet internally that Marvel are working furiously to plan for that. With their comics, they've always built up and built up, then had a cataclysm of some sort to redress the balance, such as the House of M. DC do the same thing every decade or so too.

Thing is, comic book audiences are used to things like "retcons". I'm not sure film audiences are quite so forgiving. For example, I completely lost interest in DC's animated stuff when they retired that version of the DC animated universe continuity.
                Last edited by Asura; 07-09-2015, 14:53.

Comment

Winter Soldier is the pick of the bunch for me. The high way scene, the score, just brilliant. You also have to admire the fact they've managed to make Captain America, easily the cheesiest and dafest character of the bunch, two decent films - I believe that's a massive accomplishment in itself.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Out of this batch, I haven't seen Thor 2 or Ant-man.
                  You're missing out Thor 2 was great.

Comment

Loved Guardians, Ant Man and Captain America two...the rest were meh.
                    Only Thor 2 was awful IMO.

Most of Phase 3 doesn't appeal to me, looking at the list. Only Cap 3 and Guardians 2. But maybe I'll be surprised as I felt the same about the first Guardians and Ant Man.
                    Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 07-09-2015, 16:14.

Comment

Winter Soldier, Avengers, Guardians, Ant-Man, and Iron Man are my favorite, maybe in that order. I also enjoyed the first Thor movie. Thor 2 and Avengers 2 are the only ones that were a bit underwhelming.

Comment

We really need some sort of intervention for SF and his addiction to polling.

For me only the first Avengers movie and Guardians of the Galaxy can be classed as genuinely brilliant, though I haven't seen Ant Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          We really need some sort of intervention for SF and his addiction to polling.

For me only the first Avengers movie and Guardians of the Galaxy can be classed as genuinely brilliant, though I haven't seen Ant Man.
                          I'm with this man.

Iron Man 3 was pretty class too.

Comment

Winter Soldier
                            The Avengers
                            Iron Man
                            Thor
                            Ant Man
                            Iron Man 3
                            Cap 1
                            Ultron
                            Thor 2
                            Iron Man 2
                            Guardians
                            Hulk

In that order for me. I can hear the hammering of Dogg building the gallows from here...

Comment

On an entirely unrelated note, anyone have any spare rope? Just making a thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X