Nom Nom Galaxy [PS4/Steam] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nom Nom Galaxy [PS4/Steam] review

The latest release from the Pixeljunk crew sees you vying for 100% market share of soup sales. I kid you not. So begins an epic resource management/adventure sidescroller with echoes of Terraria but more soup.

CRASH! Your ship lands on a new planet, spewing forth some cash and "floppies" for you to pick up. Armed only with your trusty company-issue buzzsaw, you must build a factory office, collect resources and build your factory. First you must dig deep to gather enough bits to build a soup machine, then a soup rocket (to launch your soup into the galaxy of course!). Second comes the hunt for ingredients, which can be found in many ways. Mushrooms and grass are growing straight out of the ground. Vines dangle from the ceiling. Seaweed can only be found in water. Tomatoes and sweetcorn...are monsters that attack you! Use your buzzsaw or fists to take them out AND MAKE SOUP FROM THEIR CARCASSES. The soup machines take two ingredients, and you have the choice to build a machine that makes a specific soup (at a discount), or a generic machine that awaits your input. Once it has been given its two ingredients, it is locked to only making that soup, so choose well. After a few seconds, a can of soup drops from the machine and must be carried to the soup rocket so be sent off to market. And so the process begins again.

To aid you in this endeavour, there are a variety of robots to blindly carry things about. Get them to carry ingredients to soup machines, then the soup to the rockets. There are also robots who will throw ingredients up/down between levels of your factory, and ones that throw cans of soup. Placement and direction are everything, although it always seems like you'll not have enough robots, or the wrong ingredient is being carried around the wrong area, far from the waiting machine. The robot I'm hoping to unlock soon is the harvester, as right now I have to harvest all my ingredients myself, which takes most of my time in a work day.

Better factory design brings with it better efficiency and a quicker capture of market share. Reach 100% market share and hold it until the end of the day to complete the Corporate Capture mission for that planet, unlocking photo mode. Then feel free to go back in S.O.O.P. mode to make soup and experiment with flavour combinations until your heart - and stomach - are content. What's that you say? Online mode? Why yes there is! ...and only one other person I know on PSN has the game, so hopefully we can test that out at some point. There are also challenges which rotate every week (I think), some being about fulfilling a specific order for soups, some racing to the end of a landscape. The variety is nice, and breaks the game up a little when you want something different. But I'll be sticking to streamlining my factory thank you!

I started playing this via remote play locally (while watching Friends on netflix...enough said there) and went full on last night before work. Resource management sims like this are my bread and butter. While Terraria was a bit of a disappointment in terms of how much I enjoyed it to start but then interest petered off when I couldn't feel progress, this gradually unlocks new features as you play. Going back to older planets with a new robot suddenly brings new ways to make your factory more efficient, leaving you free to explore more - possibly finding new and exciting ingredients.

Loving it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Comment

This game definitely deserves more love. Not played it for a while since I bought it at release, but aim to resume it once a few of the big hitters are off my to play list.
      It reminded me on the fun I used to have when playing the original sim city. The way you construct your factories and also dealing with invasions is like dealing with the disasters I thought.

Comment

Working...
      X