Mad Max review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Max review

I wanted to be sure I'd have at least an hour when I tried out MGSV so I gave this a whirl instead.

Been curious mostly because of it being from the Just Cause devs, wasn't sure what direction they'd ultimately go in and it would be curious to see how the project was steered by the making of Fury Road. Whilst the two projects are unrelated, there are noticeable shared traits between the two. The general visual style is lifted from the recent film as is the music which follows a similar sound despite not using the actual tracks.

The game opens with Max on the run from a group of witness wannabe's from Gastown, the fuel led town mentioned in Fury Road. Max fends them off the best he can but loses the Interceptor which is taken away and broken down for scrap. Battered and stranded in the desert, he stumbles across a disfigured desert dweller called Chumbucket who offers to help Max piece together a new vehicle to replace the Interceptor.

I'm running this on my PC and it feels like it's very well optimised. Whilst it's not trying to win any graphics awards it's a very nice looking game which bodes well for JC3 and with everything maxed out fully it hasn't yet hitched down from 60fps. The game is a open world title and as you travel around you have to seek out enough water, weapons, food, scrap etc to get by. Despite being set in a desert wasteland they so far (early on) seem to have tried their best to vary the visuals up like the film does with lots of canyons, camps, rusted half buried ship wrecks etc.

The controls take a little getting used to, control doesn't feel quite as responsive as it should mostly due to the slightly heavy animation and some commands feature a variety of button variations which don't immediately feel natural but they're easy enough to get used to. Hand to hand combat is probably the most straight forward as it's a copy of Arkhams system. Given the setting and general risk of repetitive missions it feels like the game will mostly rest on how much the devs have been able to keep the experience varied as it goes.

It's likely many will overlook the game due to MGSV but based on first impressions, it looks like a really solid and worthwhile title if it holds up over the course.
    1 - Barely Lethal Weapon
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Road Fury on Fury Road
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - Witness It!
    0%

I'm going to get this for the Xbox One but with the recent MGS V buy and Forza 6 coming very soon then Transformers (man, so many great games) I'm waiting for this to be reduced in price before picking it up. Good to hear that it's not a stinker.

Comment

I'm about ten hours in...tbh I found it a bit of a slog until I upgraded Max and his car a bit. But now I'm getting into it alot more. My advice is to bump Max health, add anti boarding spikes to the car and get your harpoon upgraded as early as possible.

Also, after unlocking half the map...the amount of icons with things to do make the Assassins Creed/Far Cry maps seem empty!
      So haters of "busywork" should avoid this like the plague!

To me it seems like Shadow of Mordor x GTA with a car mounted Just Cause harpoon thrown in.

Comment

This is a great game. Any video gamers on this forum?

Comment

I agree...its sucked me in like a Fallout game! All my spare time has been playing it. Fallout but with Sleeping Dogs style melee fighting.

Have done Acts 1-4 but at the moment I am wandering the wasteland trying to complete all the challenges. Have about 30 left...but don't yet have all the parts to build the archangels.

Tbf I think everyone else is busy with MGSV
          Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 11-09-2015, 16:44.

Comment

Got this on ps4,loving the environments.
            Need to put some time into it now

Comment

Mad max is awesome i'm about 20 hours in so far and barely scratched the surface, i can see myself putting 150 hours into it (if i find the time that is)

Comment

really enjoying it, although its abit 'clunky' and the looks more like a ps3 game

Comment

I must've put about 100 hours in to get the platinum.

Sadly I now have to catch up on all the 'real life' stuff I put off to allow me that much playtime

Comment

How is the difficulty does it get much harder later on or not? So far i've only been into jeet's territory and died like 2 times and that was in the beginning of the game once i've upgraded max a bit things got way too easy so far?

Comment

It's not that hard...I only died through stupidity really (shooting barrels) or not taking out snipers.
                      Some of the challenges are quite tough tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X