Until Dawn review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until Dawn review

If the menu of butterfly effect moments is anything to go by I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game which suggests it's not that long as so far not much has happened but I'm assuming there's more to the games length or such effect moments will grow less frequent as the storyline goes on. Still, it's been enough to get an idea of how the game is going to pan out from a gameplay point of view.

So, Until Dawn is Sony's PS3 Move title which was generally overlooked as a schedule filler and has popped up on PS4 as a Heavy Rainesque title. Who knows beyond the devs how the game would have been as originally set out but in the finished title the style they've gone for feels like a perfect fit. The left stick controls your movement through the fixed camera scenes whilst the right shifts the view slightly. R1 speeds up your walking pace whilst X interacts with objects you notice as you go.

The game offers QTE's and some other motions etc, the choice of using motion controls remains also but I've stuck with the more traditional style and had no issues. Your cast of characters is about 10 strong and it's your cliche bunch of late teen/early twenties peeps who many or may not survive the night. The game also seems to try and gauge your own horror tastes, though I'm not sure yet if that affects the experience much.

Visually it's really nice, character models are detailed and well animated whilst the tone set is consistent and pitched well. The main hook seems to be to experience a horror movie story but where you decide character actions, playing well on genre film frustrations. I've seen one or two route or decision choices where the instinct to avoid horror character mistakes clashes with your instincts as gamer to experience every area and choice outcome.

Where the game perhaps stumbles a bit is that it's a very simple affair when you think on the gameplay. Though it follows the same design Quantic Dream uses, your level of interaction is much more limited. The lack of freedom, especially when you're aware of foreshadowed hints etc might end up being frustrating as the body count increases.

So far though it gets by quite a bit by how charming an overall experience it is.
    1 - The Cabin in the Woods
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - The Shining... Example
    0%

I'm enjoying it.Atmosphere is good and the pre set sound app for Sony's Gold/2.0 head set works well

Comment

Nice reminder...always forget I own one of those.

Anyone got a rough idea of play through time yet?

Comment

Just started playing....no camera invert option. 2015 and that is an oversight??
        *edit* especially when they inverted x on the totems*

Luckily it's not an action game!
        Only other observation so far is the graphics are excellent, although using such recognisable actors makes it look a bit...weird!
        Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 29-08-2015, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
          Nice reminder...always forget I own one of those.

Anyone got a rough idea of play through time yet?
          Playtime is about 7-8 hours. It was really really good, I would say probably the game quantic dream wish they could make.

Comment

What's the replay value in this? How many hours would you say it took you to complete it? I'm just wondering if I should get myself a copy now, or wait till it goes down in price?

Cheers,

DA

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
              What's the replay value in this? How many hours would you say it took you to complete it? I'm just wondering if I should get myself a copy now, or wait till it goes down in price?

Cheers,

DA
              7-8 hours (there is 10 chapters, it's around 45-1hr per chapter depending how you play) probably one/two replays maximum and it depends if you like games in the heavy rain / beyond style it's very scary though I really enjoyed it.

Comment

I'm nearly at the end now I think...having a quick snack break as it has distracted me enough to forget to make dinner!

I'd say replay wise, it would depend on how your first one goes. I'm already plotting what I will do next time and I've not even finished it. Some of the events that have happened I'm struggling to think of a way out of too. But if you save nearly everyone you won't need so many replays as if you get them killed.

All the trophies being hidden has done me a favour...I can guess what many of them will be but its forced me just to play the game rather than play a certain way.
                One character is so infuriating that ive had great fun winding them up/trying to kill them

Comment

About 8hrs for me.

Started this morning and ended up playing the game together with my wife! Both had a fair amount of time with the controller.

i don't normally play horror games, but yep... This was hella scary!

ended the game with only 2 survivors - gamer instinct kicked in and I had to push every button and check out every shiny thing.

Comment

I managed to save everyone but one...somehow

The 'don't move' bits join the lack of invert on my 'reasons to punch the developers in the face' list tho.

Not sure how I missed quite a few collectables...seemed like I scoured every inch of the game. Must be some I just didn't spot and some tied in to the person who died.
                    Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 31-08-2015, 01:12.

Comment

I finished it Friday night with everyone alive which I found rather surprising. Seems it's actually harder to get them killed of then I first initially believed. I too took my time and checked all areas but still missing clues so with chapter select I'm just gonna do a run and try to find the remainders.

Comment

Looked at a collectable guide and I only actually missed 4 things but there is a whole line you can only get if

Sam escapes during ch5...she got captured in my game!

Comment

Finished it and by the time I was done felt more like youtubing one or two examples of changed outcomes rather than replaying the whole game again. You can definitely change things but nothing too dramatic changes. By the end only 1 person was dead for me until the end sequence when only two survived Not perfect but by god I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            Finished it and by the time I was done felt more like youtubing one or two examples of changed outcomes rather than replaying the whole game again. You can definitely change things but nothing too dramatic changes. By the end only 1 person was dead for me until the end sequence when only two survived Not perfect but by god I enjoyed it.
                            SPOLIER ALERTS PLEASE !!!!!!!! GRRRRRR....

Comment

Don't worry, there's plenty ways the last one or two eps can play out. In terms of outcomes they're probably the ones with the most narrative branches

Comment

Working...
                              X