Devil's Third [WiiU] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's Third [WiiU] review

Devil's Third is finally released today, after a somewhat troublesome development you might say. I received my copy yesterday (courtesy of GameSeek) and managed to spend about 90 minutes in total on it last night equally split between single player and online modes. Quick first impressions:

Single player
    The game opens with some typical plot about the bad guys exploding Russian satellites, causing an EMP to knock out power stations and cause the world to descend into chaos etc etc. Standard nonsense, but the key thing is that the enemies are known as the 'school of destruction' or SOD for short, meaning that you are often told to kill the SOD in mission objectives which is pretty amazing.

Ivan (the drum playing, bald headed, tattoo covered terrorist who you control) is pretty responsive and you are quickly able to use actions such as a Vanquish-esque slide and the ability to run up walls. Melee combat is controlled with two attack buttons which combined with evades/slides/jumps does give a few different techniques at your disposable but don't be expecting a deep combat system here. Similarly gun play is relatively basic.

The framerate does tend to fluctuate but so far it hasn't been as disastrous as some reviews made it out to be. Having said that I've just come from playing The Evil Within [Xbox One] which is hardly silky smooth so that might be clouding my judgement somewhat.

After a mission and a half the single player campaign has been pretty basic but dumb fun, which is what I was expecting if I'm being honest.

Multiplayer
    Only managed a few games in the free-for-all deathmatch, each time having around 8 or so folk per round, and it was chaotic fun. The marriage of melee combat and weapon usage certainly gives it its own feel, and judging when to effectively use each seems to be the recipe for racking up kills. I only played a couple of maps but I was impressed by the verticality of each, providing lots of opportunity to reach great heights and then attack the fools below with leaping melee attacks.

Overall, early impressions are of a game that tries to do things a little differently, which I applaud, and even though the execution might not be perfect there does seem to be a lot of enjoyment to be had (especially online).
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Sounds good to me. I wasn't expecting a Bayonetta 2 level of awesomness anyway, & from what I've seen of the MP it looks bloody good fun & as you said it tries to do something different.

Might have to pick this up sooner than the later that I planned to

Comment

How is the online in this game? If it was ?15 id deffo get it.

Comment

Online is great , reminds me of metal gear online it has that sort of feel and humour to it .

Comment

Yep, online is lots of fun and has loads of different modes. Unfortunately, the servers are now largely deserted which is a shame as there is a well developed (yet flawed) multiplayer game there that deserves better than to be a ghost town already. Reminds me a little of Anarchy Reigns in that respect; a rough game visually and mechanically, that is a little different to the norm, but no-one plays it so it quickly fades into obscurity. I do hope that the F2P PC version fares a little better.

The single player campaign felt like a throwback to the DC era; I mean this in both a positive and negative sense. Arcade style, OTT fun, plenty of gore, dumb AI and missing a layer of polish but ultimately I enjoyed every minute. According to my Wii-U I've played this for about 24 hours and I feel as if I got my money's worth, and it certainly didn't deserve the trashing it got by the 'professional' 'journalists' out there.

7/10

Comment

If someone is brave enough or can read russian, https://ru.4game.com/ are looking for testers for the PC version (multiplayer online only).
            About that company, I tested a game for them in the past and they are legit. However in this online world, make sure do not input any of your private data, unless it is necessary. And even then, think twice if it is worth doing it.

(BTW if anyone is interested, over on reddit there is an board called Halo online, bascially that service is run by ru4game as well.)

Comment

Working...
            X