Metal Gear Solid V review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Largo View Post
    i got this early too, not going to say anything of course except , every chapter or act i suppose theyre called since guns of patriots, has a pre credits roll and end credits roll. How many times do i need to read "created by hideo kojima" its bloody narcissistic
    Yep it wears very thin after a while...

Comment

I have only played about 3 hours and I'm not feeling it tbh, it's missing something. Probably the wrong person to ask as I found the first hour people are wowballsing at to be nowt more than a bloody long boring slog to learn the controls (probably because I'm not the biggest fan of mgs but I was kinda bored)

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
        I have only played about 3 hours and I'm not feeling it tbh, it's missing something. Probably the wrong person to ask as I found the first hour people are wowballsing at to be nowt more than a bloody long boring slog to learn the controls (probably because I'm not the biggest fan of mgs but I was kinda bored)
        I know what you mean, but maybe it is a slow burner? I am 4 hours in and enjoying it more now. If you have never played MG before you will definitely think wtf, but as a lifelong player it all fits for me so far.

As stated in previous post the constant titles appearing saying Hideo wrote it, produced it, dreamt it up etc., are a pain imho.

Comment

I'm approaching 5 hours on this before I had to finish as the Mrs wants X Factor! I really, really like MGSV so far.

If I could explain the concept, it's Metal Gear Solid 3 but set in an open world with controls that are as slick as any 3rd Person Shooter. I love the open ended nature of it all, realising the game is not funnelling you down a linear path and you have to bring up your PDA, select a new mission and then wait the the Helicopter to pick you up and drop you at the location for you to begin infiltration.

If you love MGS or want a new stealth game then I recommend the game fully, it's brilliant. Any negatives? Well, you could argue that it's not doing anything particularly new or revolutionary but it's a polished experience and looks exceptional. Want to jump right back into it!

I'm guessing it's because Konami have not turned on the PS4 servers as the game is not officially out but is anyone else not able to see the Trophies they've achieved on their Trophy list yet?
          Last edited by Wools; 29-08-2015, 20:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
            I'm approaching 5 hours on this before I had to finish as the Mrs wants X Factor! I really, really like MGSV so far.

If I could explain the concept, it's Metal Gear Solid 3 but set in an open world with controls that are as slick as any 3rd Person Shooter. I love the open ended nature of it all, realising the game is not funnelling you down a linear path and you have to bring up your PDA, select a new mission and then wait the the Helicopter to pick you up and drop you at the location for you to begin infiltration.

If you love MGS or want a new stealth game then I recommend the game fully, it's brilliant. Any negatives? Well, you could argue that it's not doing anything particularly new or revolutionary but it's a polished experience and looks exceptional. Want to jump right back into it!

I'm guessing it's because Konami have not turned on the PS4 servers as the game is not officially out but is anyone else not able to see the Trophies they've achieved on their Trophy list yet?
            The guy Gregg Miller from Funny games on YouTube said he had the same problem regards viewing Trophies so he must be Server stuff. Sounds really open I'm having to wake up at 4AM to play it before my Little one wakes up on Tuesday. You should get a PS Vita or PS Vita TV and plug into a monitor/TV in the other room then Mrs Wools can watch X-Factor and you can enjoy Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I rountinly have to put certain games on the Vita if I want to play when my Son is around, Remote play works well most of the time and PS Vita has 60FPS option now in the settings.
            Last edited by JU!; 30-08-2015, 19:23.

Comment

Just starting to get into this, it's like a good Sniper Elite.

The intro sequence was totally insane. I've missed you Metal Gear

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
                The guy Gregg Miller from Funny games on YouTube said he had the same problem regards viewing Trophies so he must be Server stuff. Sounds really open I'm having to wake up at 4AM to play it before my Little one wakes up on Tuesday. You should get a PS Vita or PS Vita TV and plug into a monitor/TV in the other room then Mrs Wools can watch X-Factor and you can enjoy Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I rountinly have to put certain games on the Vita if I want to play when my Son is around, Remote play works well most of the time and PS Vita has 60FPS option now in the settings.
                I can top that. Surface Pro 3 with xbox controller plugged in to it lying in bed with a cup of tea on the side with some biscuits, streaming from my PC on ultra settings equals amazing.

Daughter watching minions on the main TV for the eighth time no bother!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  Just starting to get into this, it's like a good Sniper Elite.

The intro sequence was totally insane. I've missed you Metal Gear
                  Xbox One version? Whats it like in terms of visuals?

Comment

Sunk a few hours into this last night and really enjoyed it. Was never really a MGS fan, but this is really rather special. The attention to detail is amazing (i'll not spoil anything) :-)

Comment

Anybody here playing it on the ps3? That's the format I'm going to have to go for so I'd be interested if there was any performance issues encountered.

Comment

So I got a copy of the CE on its way from game I forgot to cancel (not sure what I will do with a 21cm plastic arm, but there we go). Should I play through ground zeros first?

Comment

No, just play the main game if you did not get a chance to play Ground Zeroes when it was released.

MGSV references GZ but shows it to you in flash back at specific story moments.

Comment

Is this needlessly loaded with side missions?

Comment

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
                              Xbox One version? Whats it like in terms of visuals?
                              Looks fine, like a less jaggy version of Ground Zero's really. Looks more impressive at night . I don't think it's the best looking next gen game, which may be down to it's cross generation version. I've not really been thinking about it to be honest, nothing has detracted from the enjoyment so far.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Is this needlessly loaded with side missions?
                              It's loaded with Side-ops. Maybe not needlessly , as you use them to level up your base. They appear entirely optional so far

Comment

What all the base stuff for, Adam?

Comment

Working...
                                X