Metal Gear Solid V review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    How the **** did this score universal 10s?
    Edge gave it 9 / 10 and the review seemed fair.

Originally posted by Panta Rhei View Post
    I expect a lot of MGS players to hate this game. Because all the things MGS fans love, ie. the overdramatic dialogue, the ridiculous cutscenes, the awesome boss fights, and the linear story... they're all gone.

I like it because I felt MGS4 jumped the shark when it came to storyline and actual gameplay. MGS V is pure gameplay and you can tackle most missions how you see fit. Its a very addicting game. But I wouldn't say this is better than MGS2 and 3, because those 2 defined this franchise for me as well. I greatly enjoyed revisiting those games in HD even though they're not on level in terms of gameplay. MGS V is in terms of gameplay the best MGS ever made and its the most ambitious too.
    I never played the original Metal Gear games, I jumped in with Metal Gear Solid for the reason that it looked like a film come to life. Terrorists have taken over an Arctic base with hostages and if their demands are not meet, they will detonate the Nuclear bomb. Sounded cool and that eased me into the weirdness, telekinesis, double bluffs and cyborg ninjas.

To be clear, I loved MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 but the story, and ham fisted acting and dialogue, was their worst qualities. Smoking monkeys, vampires and freak outs meant they stuck in my mind more than other games but I wished Kojima had more subtleties than he possessed and going back to play them is like watching the worst kind of anime. MGS2 has some fantastic story elements, passing on your genetics, the price of doing something you love when it hurts the one you love and it plays around with what fanboys and girls expect with Raiden (I loved the character bait and switch) but Kojima falls into melodramatic mode too often then brings out more madness!

In that regard, I adore what I've played of MGSV. The game is 90% gameplay yet the story is allowing for his brand of big ideas yet it feels more focused, not reigned in, more tactile not in your face with fists slamming on tables to prove a point.

If it continues like this, this MGS fan is liking it.

Comment

Will fire this up tonight... Not a big MGS fanatic but I enjoy the series as whole so I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I hope it won't gather dust as my Arkham Knight copy has...

Comment

How the **** did this score universal 10s?
        It's actually pretty good, it's definitely one of the best open world games that's ever been made. Not as good as GTAV mind

Comment

That's pretty much spot on for me. It doesn't feel like a MGS game, and I loved MGS for its story, it's over the top speech and cinematic a mixed with the playgrounds to dick about.

They've got a bigger playground and there's a lot to do other than the main missions and even the side ops, but so far they have all been "extract this, destroy that".

The story has been mostly non existent so far, although I did actually have a cutscenes in mission 6 of the main story. It was short and started the story off a bit more though. Snake barely speaks though, so I just don't see the point in changing him.

Most of the story is given in cassette tapes that it's up to you to listen too, and it's not a great way of doing things tbh. I agree that Ocelot doesn't feel like Ocelot at all, and Troy Baker is all wrong for him. I would have preferred the actor who played him in MGS3 tbh. Great game, but an over abundance of things to do leaves me a little cold- it feels more like Far Cry than MGS at this point, and that's not really what I want when I buy an MGS game.

I'm hoping the story side of it ramps up a bit later though. The annoying thing is that I don't feel you can ignore the side ops, because that's where you get most of your good people/stuff from- and not doing that will impact the tools at your disposal to have fun with, and in turn will effect how you play the main game.

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it's not good. More that I'm shocked at how such a popular franchise seems to have abandoned all the things that people loved about it. Call me naive but I'd imagine most of the reviewers to have been huge fans so perhaps disappointed in the direction, especially given what happened to Kojima.
            Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            It's actually pretty good, it's definitely one of the best open world games that's ever been made. Not as good as GTAV mind

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it's not good. More that I'm shocked at how such a popular franchise seems to have abandoned all the things that people loved about it. Call me naive but I'd imagine most of the reviewers to have been huge fans so perhaps disappointed in the direction, especially given what happened to Kojima.
              Many of the reviews were done at one of these "review events", so people have already questioned th validity of those actual scores. The online component of the game wasn't available at that point.

They've turned on the servers now and is becoming clear there is some kind of a F2p style micro transaction system for the staff missions.
              It really does seem like Kojima had been playing too much assassins creed!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                Many of the reviews were done at one of these "review events", so people have already questioned th validity of those actual scores. The online component of the game wasn't available at that point.

They've turned on the servers now and is becoming clear there is some kind of a F2p style micro transaction system for the staff missions.
                It really does seem like Kojima had been playing too much assassins creed!
                Ah I see. It's hard to take these scores seriously and quite disheartening.

Anyway, sorry to take it off topic.

Comment

Had everyone not wrote off Ground Zeroes after approximately 12 minutes, you would already have huge sprawling bases like me.

All your base are belong to us.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You couldn't put in the code from GZ on the weekend, hopefully it'll work now and it'll impact my base.

Comment

My base is huge, I've have to drive a kilometre to get from one platform to another.

Comment

Just put this in. PS4 like a small jet plane.

Going Xbox One exclusive in a short bit...

edit:

Well, I just blasted myself through the first mission. Skipped the first little village entirely, and headed up to the main village where your ally was held. Killed everyone, grabbed the guy and ran out.

Didn't get very good points, mind you...
                        Last edited by danholo; 01-09-2015, 19:38.

Comment

anyone playing on PC? how is it technically?

Comment

I would like to know this too. Just curious, I hope its not another Batman!!

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                              anyone playing on PC? how is it technically?
                              I'm running it on a gtx 970 and it runs perfectly fine maxed out. No problems.

Comment

Well my copy has been sold, didn't like it at all. It's not metal gear plays more like a third person open world cod to me but with no identifiable remnants of Metal Gear and pretty dull. My experience was walk or horse to town, survey and tag, kill them rinse and repeat with the occasional other mission, I have better things to do than slog through this it doesn't feel right it's not concise. Closest comparison I have is Res 6, it's kinda what it's supposed to be but so overblown and overcooked it's not as enjoyable as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X