No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid V review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else tried the IDroid companion app? Basically displays the map, lets you set markers, shows you where troops are on alert. No mother Base stuff yet though.

Comment

So far this game is a mixed bag for me. I don't care about the Base thing at all. It really draws the game out too much with all this R&D mumbo-jumbo. The game looks great though and the gameplay is tried and true, and addictive.

Comment

**** this game and it's ****ty checkpoint mechanics. It plonks you from a side op straight into a long mission, you explore a massive base and pick up everything. Then you die because there's millions of mechs, then you have to do it all again picking up all the same items over and over. Doing my head right in.

Comment

Sandstorms ftw! Just rush in and grab the prisoner lol.

Comment

Also got a tip for side ops. They aren't rated so do what you want in them. Go nuts. As long as you complete them. Then, after you're done, you can either die to spawn at the drop point or you can pause and choose Return to AAC which doesn't cost money and is faster than waiting for the Heli.

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
            **** this game and it's ****ty checkpoint mechanics. It plonks you from a side op straight into a long mission, you explore a massive base and pick up everything. Then you die because there's millions of mechs, then you have to do it all again picking up all the same items over and over. Doing my head right in.
            Agree the checkpoints need to be addressed or a manual save needs to be added.
            Last edited by Panta Rhei; 03-09-2015, 11:05.

Comment

I like the harsh checkpoints. Most games now just restart you 2 seconds before you died. Being a stealth game, MGS is all about tension - there is zero tension if I know that if I get caught, I can just restart and do that very bit over again.

That's just me though. It's infuriating but with this type of game, it works. I hope they don't change them.

A manual save would make it ridiculously easy too, you could just quicksave the entire time and easily get the Perfect Stealth bonus at the end. As it stands it requires real skill - just how it should be!

Comment

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
                Wow!!
                What format is that? Looks beautiful!!
                I'm playing on PS4, what does not come across is how sharp the image quality is and how slick the presentation is at 60FPS.

Regarding the checkpoints, I really do think they're perfect (So far I might add, 12 hours in). They respawn you before infiltration of the base at the perimeter and as far as I believe, all enemies that you've tagged with the scope remain tagged so you know where they are. For me it's simple, if it goes tits up, shoot your way out, hide and stay hidden or re-start from the start of the infiltration.

Comment

I don't have much further to add at the moment except that I think this game is blindingly good. Absolutely loving it. The graphics are stunning - the 60fps is amazing!!

Everyone should play this. It's the balls.

Agree with Wools above that the checkpoint system is perfect too. If it had forgotten tagged enemies, that would have been unfair. But it doesn't. And it challenges you to be good, instead of muddling your way through.

Comment

Is anyone running this in 4K? Be interested to know how it runs.

Comment

how do i access the Air Command Center (ACC) to edit my emblem? i was briefly told about in the game but can't find this "ACC". and what do the ?-marked mission objectives mean?

Comment

That's the Helicopter isn't it?

Comment

This is the best game ever made. An absolute masterpiece. Gonna take a long time on no kills though.

Comment

New favourite thing.

running bionic arm punch. It makes the six million dollar man noise!

Comment

Played about 20 hours of this now. All fears allayed ; This is something very special indeed. On top of everything else that's amazing It's an example of how to do cover mechanics, how to do horse riding. The audio is out of this world. Looks and plays beautiful and all at full HD 60fps with no slowdown ever. This is what I was hoping for this gen and Kojima and Co have totally delivered. An open world that isn't boring but still with the craziness of metal gear.

Comment

Woo! I thought I was the only one that was enjoying it!

The

bionic arm

is awesome, it does what you describe whenever you use one of it's abilities.

Tip to anybody else, if you are upgrading mother base, it's worth bulking up the Base Development earlier on, it brings in resources by itself. I've got 30 hours into the game now and resources are actually my biggest issue for further development, I'm having to go out of my way to try and get more.

I went back and did the
                                boss fight again to see if

I could do it again and not choose to kill her at the end

. I could!

Comment

Working...
                                X